Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    Shug, you are simply a wildman!

I just returned from a walk to our local park (taking my own advice since the gym will be out today). Tip; walking a Jack Russell Terrier on a long leash with a pair of trekking poles is quite the challenge.

Did find some nice trees that need a hammock.
    Yessir .... Wild and Irish!!!!!
    I would really love to see you walking that sure to be energetic Jack Russell with poles!........
    Gonna hang on those trees???/
    Good that you were out getting some air and exercise.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Yessir .... Wild and Irish!!!!!

Gonna hang on those trees???/
    Good that you were out getting some air and exercise.
    Shug
    Whoo buddy I am...while waiting for the byer Vario stand to further my experiments! Just can't overnight because of a County Ordinance that closes the parks at 22:00. Selectively enforced but stealth is not easy here.

Outside it is sunny and 87 degrees with a 7 mph breeze out of the S/E. The sky is a fine shade of blue and the air is sweet as is the blessing of a good walk.

My bride and I have been talking about the possibility of some overnight backpacking trips once the muscle and bone adapts to my titanium knees. The walking is an attempt to aid and test recovery for just that.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Great topic Arson. I have been losing weight and exercising a lot more since I found the joy of hammocking. Having an interest like this has definitely helped me greatly in motivating myself to get into better shape. I have also been learning to kiteboard, and being overweight as I am does not make it much easier. It definitely helps to set some goals, and make some routines.

Images

re

My first real trip was an over nighter in the Uwharries 2 years ago on a ~20 loop with something like 2300 feet of total elevation change IIRC.

It tore me up. Feet hurt, legs were ready to give out, was sore for a week, my knees felt like I was twice my age.

Last year I got in the gym a few times a month before hand but got side tracked from a virus and had a pretty similar experience on the trail.

I started using my gym membership a bit more often this year and by august had lost 42 lbs since my last uwharrie trip.

About that time I began an intensive plan to keep Linville Gorge from kicking my butt.

Day 1 Resistance training with special focus on legs and always including weighted lunges.

Day 2 stair master for 15-30 minutes if I could take it that long

Day 3 treadmill set to a speed of 3-4 at a 12 degree incline for 5 miles

Repeat twice a week.

Results?

I did suffer some a mild ACL sprain on my right knee that stayed with me a week or two after the gorge and I had the beginnings of the same sprain on the other side but not near as bad. I have black pinky nails from the Cambric descent and my traps were a bit sore because I'm a tad too tall for my pack but all of this was very mild. My legs felt great at the end of the trip and I didn't feel beat up at all. HUGE difference!

What I did learn though was that I didn't focus on or build any cardiovascular endurance and Little Table Rock ended up being a pattern of 30 feet up hill, then 30 seconds of catching my breath over and over.

I found out since the trip that even with all my training, just 5 minutes of jogging at a speed of 6.8 leaves me sore in places 5 miles of lower speed incline walking never did. I'm hoping to strengthen my legs, drop another 15-20 lbs, replace some of that with some muscle, and have some endurance for next time.

I also want to dig out my slack-line. I purchased on several years ago and never did more than toy with it a few times. In theory it should increase prioperception which should improve coordinating in everything you do on and off the trail. Plus its fun.

Just read about YOSAR rescue dogs in an old issue of backpacker I was thumbing through. They require you to be able to do 3 miles in 45 minutes with a 45lb pack.
    That would be interesting to attempt.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    I also want to dig out my slack-line. I purchased on several years ago and never did more than toy with it a few times. In theory it should increase prioperception which should improve coordinating in everything you do on and off the trail. Plus its fun.
    Not to go too far off topic, but the slack-line really is a great workout, and is excellent for improving balance and leg strength.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    GQGeek,

Try incorporating sprints into your routine. Lately I've been doing 20 min on the treadmill going at 6 mph for 6 min then I incorporate 2 min sprints... ie 8 mph (or higher) for 2 min then back at 6 mph for 2 min on a cycle. Other times I incorporate elevation variations at 6.5 mph I go from 3 degree inclines to 10 degree inclines.

Try and trick your body and do things at your pace. I really focus on cardio and abdominal work at the gym a few weeks before a trip. Of course nothing beats actually putting on a pack and hitting the trails.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Stretching AFTER you walk would be much more effective, stretching a cold muscle invites injury. PNF stretches, preferably with a partner for your hamstrings, are best.
    Try the book - you might be pleasantly surprised. Maybe you could find it at the library and then buy it if you like it.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I loved your video Arson, Almost meditative. I have tried all of my life to be a morning person. I am going to try more now.

Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123