Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

Arms

The one thing folks forget in training for LONG DISTANCE HIKING is the arms. Maybe not critical doing short hikes 5-8 miles. But when you crank out 12 plus miles a day you cannot account for the amount of work your arms do. I learned this doing training for endurance running. Believe it or not your arms get tired and I have actually had cramping in my forearms after a long run of 20 miles.
    Secondly follow up hydration and supplimental recovery drinks are great. Believe it or not chocolate milk may be the perfect recovery drink mixing the 4 to 1 carb to protein formula. Look it up, it is the real deal and considerable cheaper than store bougt drinks.

BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    You need to prepare your body like you do your equipment.

Enjoy!
    Well done Arson! Anyone up for some tips from a beat up old gym rat, bicyclist, Martial artist, outdoorsman gone apostate? Too bad...

1-Arson's last word is HUGE in importance. "Enjoy" because if you don't you will not continue. Find a program you can do within 10 minutes (max) of your front door that you enjoy doing. No nature trails close? Then go walk to your park and pound a trail there. Do it at least three days a week.

2-No pain no sprain. Push it to YOUR level not anyone else's and don't try to undo years of neglect in a month. Your body is a unit so try to work out that way. Like walk using your trekking poles and moderate the pace with length of steps etc. Arson's advice to warm up and warm down is big medicine when coupled with a smart workout.

3-Are you fat (yeah, I'm talking to you and me)? I sure am and that's part of why I now have issues. Lose weight while getting in shape and don't quit...EVER.

4-How to lose weight? Come, I say, come a little closer...I"m, I say, I'm gonna tell you a secret boy (think Foghorn Leghorn here). Don't eat so much and eat smarter (y'all know what I am saying here)! That Maple bar is a reward you give yourself for a weeks worth of healthy eating and one will do it. Most of us eat well enough so simply putting half of your portion into a container for lunch tomorrow will drop more tonage than you know.

5-The good news? When you really get in shape, your metabolism gets faster than it was and you can enjoy food more. When you are really moving out on the trail/gym/bicycle/ you get to eat better and more. When you are on HF etal you get to eat less.

Hi I'm Mark (Law Dawg) and I'm an out of shape fat guy working on it.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It matters most that you do SOMETHING!!

Believe me, at age 65 I have learned that you cannot take your physical conditioning, strength or healthy weight for granted. Without "youth" on your side, you have to work at staying in shape to be able to enjoy what you want to do. My normal regimen is to run/jog/shuffle for 5 miles at least 3 days a week (done before breakfast), walk 3+miles 5 days a week (yes, some days the run and walk overlap!), hike somewhere 6-8 miles once a weekend.

There are weeks when I don't get it all in because of work, weather, schedule, illness, etc., but there are weeks when I do a bit more, especially if there is a weekend when I can get out to backpack (hooray!).

Thought of the day: Use it or lose it!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Yeah man, I consider this year's hiking and paddling seasons essentially "over" (although I still plan to do plenty of each) but I'm already training for next season.

My body let me down twice this year, once on a long backpacking trip (well, my idea of long, anyways) when my knee started to give out and hurt like hell (sucks to be out in the wilderness, miles from anywhere, and not be able to put weight on your leg) and another time paddling my kayak in 4+ foot breakers (was badly winded by the time we got to shore, getting turned around in waves of that magnitude is a *****!)

It won't happen next year, I'm planning to be 30 lbs lighter and 10x as fit. Doing a nice variety of exercises and watching my diet... exactly what exercises you do is less important than doing SOMETHING that works.

One thing I've learned... the mirror lies... your wife or husband, boyfriend or girlfriend who loves you no matter how you look lies... PHOTOS don't lie.

Set that nifty timer on your digital camera and take a pic or two every week, this might help with the motivation! I'm doing this and hope to post a nice before-during-after photo set this time next year.

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Wow! I definitely picked the right topic for discussion. Keep them coming guys! Your getting me motivated to get out there. Thanks!
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArsonHammockHanger

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap

Thumbs up

Arson, this a great timely video. Thanks for doing it! I hope that many people get motivated by it. I agree with Beep's comment "you cannot take your physical conditioning, strength or healthy weight for granted". My daily exercise of choice is bicycling. It has made an amazing difference in my health and quality of life. I think that the important message people should take away from your video. Is that exercise is extremely important. What form that exercise takes is not as important and doing some every day or at least as often as possible.
    Terry

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Stretching

Arson - since you start out with stretching, you might want to read/study the book: "The Whartons' Stretch Book", by Jim and Phil Wharton.

It's available on Amazon here.

TeeDee introduced me to the book and the method of stretching it illustrates.

I find it to be a lot different from the traditional stretches I was doing and a whole lot better for me. It might be for you also.

Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Arson - since you start out with stretching, you might want to read/study the book: "The Whartons' Stretch Book", by Jim and Phil Wharton.

It's available on Amazon here.

TeeDee introduced me to the book and the method of stretching it illustrates.

I find it to be a lot different from the traditional stretches I was doing and a whole lot better for me. It might be for you also.
    Stretching AFTER you walk would be much more effective, stretching a cold muscle invites injury. PNF stretches, preferably with a partner for your hamstrings, are best.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I love the look of pre-dawn.......
    My off-road unicyling in my hardest and most lung busting, leg working, pain taking training for the trail. Plus I do light yoga and a lot of stretches.
    Plus I walk a lot.
    Good video motivation and thoughts.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Shug, you are simply a wildman!

I just returned from a walk to our local park (taking my own advice since the gym will be out today). Tip; walking a Jack Russell Terrier on a long leash with a pair of trekking poles is quite the challenge.

Did find some nice trees that need a hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast