Hammock
    Clark NX150
    Tarp
    OES 12x15, SF
    Insulation
    MW4, NO Snivler
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling

How do you pack your Hammock for a trip?

I'm thinking of setting up my hammock with UQ, and TQ at home before the trip, and pack it compleat into a large bishop/compresion sack. Pack the tarp seperatly so it could be deployed quickly and easily in bad weather. This should save alot of time on set up. Is there a better way? How do you pack your hammock gear for a trip?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    All in separate dry bags for me usually

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I did that one time. Bag ended up being pretty good size but I only car camp so it was no big deal.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=24097

Doctari stuffs everything but his TQ into one stuff sack. Me? I'm still trying to figure this out myself...so far I have almost decided what UQ to get.

I have the Osprey Atmos 50. First in goes my sleeping bag, then the bug net, hammock with whoopies attached, tarp, on top I have straps, cloths and food in bags so they can be removed with out getting scattered around. The tarp gets set up first then the hammock and bug net, then my mat and sleeping bag.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    For my river trips I have one Watershed dry duffel (6400 cu. in.) that's dedicated to my "bedroom stuff." In it I pack my thermarest, sleeping bag in a compression bag, KAQ Lost River UQ in another compression bag, Trek Light double hammock & suspension in the stuff sack that's attached to the hammock, tarp in the silnylon stuff sack it came in, and a camp pillow.
    I think it's easier to stuff smaller individual bags into a dry bag or pack, than one large bag with everything in it. Plus if the weather is wet and I'm forced to pack something away damp, I can keep that item separate and get it out quick at the next camp to dry out.
    KJ

Banned
    Images
    IF you use down products (TQ/UQ) I just cannot understand the entire "one bag for everything" methodology.

Even if you use CF or other "waterproof" bags, if every single thing that you depend upon is in a single bag (and a very big bag at that, which makes it more prone to getting punctured) and by some unfortunate situation it does rip or get punctured, every single piece of warmth material you depend upon to get you through the night very likely will be totally unable to do it's job.

It is really that hard to place each of your quilts into it's own CF or SeaToSummit bag? Do I really want to run the risk of everything getting wet? I might be able to rig-job a top quilt or an under quilt to keep me warm if one or the other gets wet, but your pretty much SOL if they both do.

Not to mention that having three or four bags within your pack is a hell of a lot easier to work with than one massive bag. It allows for much better pack weight distribution.

Just my opinions. Not saying they are right, but I live where it rains 300+ days a year. We learn the hard way most times.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    BQ and all the hammock gear into one Bishop Bag, TQ/Serape in a separate water proof bag, tarp by itself in a mesh bishop bag outside. I used to compress the BQ and TQ before putting it into the bottom of my pack (inside a turkey baking bag). Now, I just compress it enough to get it into the pack, then start piling the other camping gear on top. After everything is in the pack, I tighten up the straps. Usually at the 1st hour break in the hike, I compress it some more, then again at the next break.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    I've made custom silnylon bags for everything. On shorter trips I pack my TQ and UQ loosely towards the back of my pack with the heavier stuff as close to the small of my back as possible.

Tarp and Hammock both always go on top of everything else. Never know which one you will need first. Usually the hammock is the first thing I use, especially when stopping for lunch. (warning: be careful fishing from your hammock, so as not to snag it).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    My hammock and tarp are in my outside mesh pockets, so those can get put up first, then I can take a little time to get the tq and uq out. Unless you are loading it at the top of you pack, it seems like a pain to pull all of the stuff out to get to that big bag.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast