Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Yeti / Ultra 20
    Suspension
    Straps/Biners

Considering a new underquilt.

Well..as I write this it is 3AM in Nashville, TN. I just came in from a backyard hang because I wanted to check my gear and see what temperature ranges I am comfortable with (this is my first winter with quilts!). The temperature says it is 43F (feels like 36) with 13mph winds. I was using my claytor diamond fly tarp because I am still waiting on my spool of Speer No-tangle to get here to use on the SpinnUL. I was hanging in the blackbird with the yeti and my GoLite Ultra 20, and wearing flanel pants, wool socks, and a T-shirt.

Now first I know that I can throw on a longsleve polypro jacket and some thermal underwear and that might solve my problem, but I wanted to see if this is a common problem. Also if I had the MacCat pitched I could probably pull the corners in around the blackbird to reduce the amount of wind on me.

When laying on a diagonal with the yeti I feel like it is not snug under me, every time the wind blew the warmth went away. Also I feel like it ends up making me lay less on a diagonal since it "burrito's" me and I feel like I need to get the torso pad from Jacks for my footbox area.

I am sure that if I changed tarps and put more clothes on the wind problem would not have affected me (regardless of my current dislike of the yeti, and yes I feel bad being the ONLY person who doesnt like it). I have had some great nights earlier this year in my setup but is this really the "limit" of my gear for the cold? 43F? Something is not right here

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am sure you have .... but .... have you really tightened up the Yeti shockcord suspension??? Crank it up.
    I double wrap it over my hammock ends as well.
    Hope it works out.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    When it gets cold, I really like simple, open, end-gathered hammocks because it makes adjusting and fitting an UQ in the night a snap. No bugs to worry about. Sometimes the netting just gets in the way when you need to pull the UQ around your shoulders a bit, of if you shift positions in the night.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    I have a year old MT washington 3 I will offer to you as a trade. Ive been wanting a yeti for some time now. Some how Ive ended up with a mt w 4 and 3. I use them both temp depending on my WBBB.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My *guess* is that the top of the quilt wasn't sealed against your shoulder/neck area. One thing that makes the Yetis stand-out is the ease of which they can be vented without leaving the hammock. However, it is easy to get the quilt too high on the hammock and create a vent when one is not needed. Top of the quilt should be right above your shoulders. An inch, or two, will create a gap between the draft collar and the hammock.

Again, just a guess.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    My *guess* is that the top of the quilt wasn't sealed against your shoulder/neck area. One thing that makes the Yetis stand-out is the ease of which they can be vented without leaving the hammock. However, it is easy to get the quilt too high on the hammock and create a vent when one is not needed. Top of the quilt should be right above your shoulders. An inch, or two, will create a gap between the draft collar and the hammock.

Again, just a guess.
    That was my thoughts exactly. Improper closure on the hammock means your body is heating up the air between you and the quilt, but then the wind is easily stripping away that warmth.

I understand the burrito thing as well. My JRB Nest did that if I didn't hang it correctly. If I hung it well, it cupped me without making me feel compressed.

Images
    the shockcord comes the correct length for the BB, older models used some tightening.

you need to pitch your tarp to protect the uq from wind, cold wind hitting the quilt directly can suck the warmth out of an underquilt, that is because the fabric is breathable. this will happen unless a windblock is used, that can be a tarp, a sock, an undercover, or a quilt made with non-breathable material (something i'm considering). most people use the tarp predominantly, some use a sock in sub-freeezing.

it's also possible that you had the yeti suspended incorrectly, that would cause distinct cold"spots" caused by an opening somewhere.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I am sure you have .... but .... have you really tightened up the Yeti shockcord suspension??? Crank it up.
    I double wrap it over my hammock ends as well.
    Hope it works out.
    Shug
    Major DITTO. I have the original synthetic version of the Yeti. I think for warmth vs weight it is spectacular particularly since it is not down. However, I have always found that I really have to tighten that sucker a very surprising amount to even approach it's potential. There are probably also some ways to route the shock cord upward towards/over the hammock RL that will help improve seal on the ends. IOW, with the end of the suspension still over the hammock end knots, rig up some sort of prussick hook(or whatever) on the RL between the end knots and your behind. Then route the suspension up through that hook.

The UQ is very critical of placement. If it is the least bit too far towards your head, there will be a gap which will allow cold air to rush in. Great when you need ventilation, a trip ruiner when you need every degree of warmth possible. Just make sure it is not above your shoulders, not even an inch!

If your hammock allows it, you can reach around and feel for any gaps. You want a tight seal. You want that inner layer of nylon SNUG against your back. Just tighten that sucker up, just not enough to damage it if that is possible.

WBG told me way back when I got mine that, if tight enough, it should lift the unoccupied hammock 2 or more feet in the middle. For safety when working this out, just leave the quilt towards the foot or head until you get in. Then pull it into normal position. That, and make sure there is still a little bit of stretch left after you tighten it. IOW, you should still be able to push it down some with your hands after you tighten it a good bit.

Just some opinions based on me using a very similar UQ. YMMV, but good luck!

Images
    PS:
    You have to figure out a way to keep it from slipping off your left shoulder. I make a shockcord loop in the foot end an put that loop over the end knot. That way the shockcord can not rotate around the UQ. Then, I pull the left side shockcord a good bit tighter than the left. That helps it a lot to stay put. Others sew on a small left shoulder grosgrain loop, and run a piece of shockcord through that and attach some where to the hammock left side.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Yeti / Ultra 20
    Suspension
    Straps/Biners
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the shockcord comes the correct length for the BB, older models used some tightening.

you need to pitch your tarp to protect the uq from wind, cold wind hitting the quilt directly can suck the warmth out of an underquilt, that is because the fabric is breathable. this will happen unless a windblock is used, that can be a tarp, a sock, an undercover, or a quilt made with non-breathable material (something i'm considering). most people use the tarp predominantly, some use a sock in sub-freeezing.

it's also possible that you had the yeti suspended incorrectly, that would cause distinct cold"spots" caused by an opening somewhere.

Thanks everyone!

Brandon - I do believe that pitching the MacCat will help greatly, the claytor diamond fly, when pitched very low and close to the hammock, still does not provide much wind protection.

Also, I have a "lefty" WBBB so when the yeti is on, the pearl white button should be on my left shoulder correct?

Billy Bob- I believe that I tried to get the quilt higher on my back because it felt like the cool air was coming from there, maybe that was making it worse? Also, are you talking about making a loop out of the shock chord on the yeti or an additional one? Do you have a picture? Since I am in a "lefty" I have the problem of the yeti falling off my right shoulder, I thought about adding mitten hooks and a piece of chord to keep it secure on that side.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast