Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
    John; I like the idea of 2X3 studs, was concerned they wouldn't hold my 250#'s but you've got me thinking about trying. What's a peeler core, center of the log after peeling the rings off?
    The 2x3's aren't supporting your weight singly. I also drill my holes 3" in from the end to reduce the likelihood of the support splitting at the pin. I use 5/16ths hardware everywhere except for the pin holding the vertical where I use 3/8" carriage bolts. (probably overkill, but for $0.50 more, it's my piece of mind...)

Here are pics from one I finished today for a friend... painted it with some tinted Thompson's:

BTW: I weigh 215, and it holds me just fine... The verticals take more load than anything, which is why I stick with 2x4's

Sorry, peeler cores are round wood fence posts, typically pressure treated and sharpened at one end... Home depot has them, they're 4" in diameter by 8' long.

You could realistically use 2x4's or maybe 2x3 studs, but you'd need to securely lash or bolt them together... Hmmm... maybe: 2- 2x4x6' to 8' for each end, using sawhorse brackets to hold the legs. The top bar could be 2x4x10 or 2x2? Hard to say what would be strong enough... (just thinking)

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    What I found is that the regular rectangular shape works best at adapting to how I lay and move. The best thing I've found to effect comfort and to achieve a flat lay is a wider hammock. The wider it is , the better diagonal position can be reached and the flatter lay.
    So: what you're saying is that the Flattest lay would be to have fabric wide enough to lay across it's WIDTH... (the EXTREME of a diagonal) Hey, isn't that a bridge hammock!?!? (ok, a midnight epiphany for me...) Sigh, off to research building a bridge hammock...I guess I need to start carrying hiking poles...
    Last edited by JohnSawyer; 11-07-2010 at 02:22. Reason: added pics.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Regarding the cut-across-the-leg... it's been discussed a lot, so you should be able to find it here. The solution is to make a hammock ten or eleven feet long. For HH users, just shorten the ridgeline.
    11ft long including the material lost to whipping, or 11ft of usuable hammock space plus 12in (or whatever) for whipping?

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    RE: the calf pressure conundrum

There is a thread called Parallelogram Hammock ​which discusses this to great length.

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    Great info guys. I hope to hang my HH Explorer for the first time this weekend so this has been very helpful.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by onfire View Post
    11ft long including the material lost to whipping, or ...
    Cut the fabric 11' long. then make it. No problem cutting it 12' long instead.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12