Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

the sun and tarps

Hello, long time lurker and first time poster here.

I'm looking for a tarp for my No-See-Um No More Hammock Bliss and while reading info on different tarps have found that a lot of them don't recommend exposing the tarp for long periods of times to direct sunlight. Now planning to use my hammock while cycle touring for extended periods, this has me a bit worried that my tarp might fail on me in tropical or desert type regions.

So are there any tarps out there who can stand up to the sun or do tarp makers assume we'll be hanging next to big bushy healthy trees who'll blot out the sun?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    When cycle touring I only spend a night or two at each location. If this is similar to what you do. . The only time you need to worry about a tarp degrading is if you leave it pitched in the direct sun. At the same location for weeks on end. Other than that you should not have any problems with your tarp at all. Other than normal wear and tear.
    Terry

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    yeah- consider the washing instruction tag on most swimsuits says "do not use chlorine bleach"..
    I mean- really? KM (who is feeling cynical today...)

Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    When cycle touring I only spend a night or two at each location. If this is similar to what you do. . The only time you need to worry about a tarp degrading is if you leave it pitched in the direct sun. At the same location for weeks on end. Other than that you should not have any problems with your tarp at all. Other than normal wear and tear.
    Yeah same thing and most of the time for camping is done at night, but sometimes I do like to set a tarp up along the beach and stay for a little while (if I find a good spot and nice company). Mostly though I was planning on using the tarp, when not set up, as a trailer cover, but I guess it might be better if I just a get a heavy duty rubberized poncho that can double as a spare if something happens to the one I ride with.

Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    yeah- consider the washing instruction tag on most swimsuits says "do not use chlorine bleach"..
    I mean- really? KM (who is feeling cynical today...)
    Guessing that was a quip on moderation (pure chlorine Vs diluted)

I guess mainly I was wondering if there might be some fabrics that are more resistant to sunlight than others or that might offer more protection from sunlight. So far I've only used ponchos and my only experience with tarps are car tarps. I've read that the guide gear (urethane coated) is bombproof, but I haven't read anything as to how much protection it offers from the sun. Other tarps I'm considering is the Madcat (silnylon) and the kelty noah (polyester???)

Images
    synthetic materials in general shouldn't be left outside in direct sunlight for prolonged periods- uv degredation

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I can't recall who did it, but someone did a test where they sprayed a patch of ripstop with UVGuard, or something and left it outside in the elements for over a year, and the treated patch was like new.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    One of life's pleasures is good gear that finally, after years of use, wears out. Don't love it to death, use it to death.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    FF
    Insulation
    lost river
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    I can't recall who did it, but someone did a test where they sprayed a patch of ripstop with UVGuard, or something and left it outside in the elements for over a year, and the treated patch was like new.

PF
    I use aerospace 303 protectant on all my fishing gear, including the kayak.
    So far it has been awesome (about a year now).
    I am sure it will be fine on a tarp even though I have never tried.
    http://www.303products.com/

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    One of life's pleasures is good gear that finally, after years of use, wears out. Don't love it to death, use it to death.
    Ain't that the truth, but I'm not worried so much about the gear wearing down after years of use. See I'm planing a Europe to Asia touring trip around march and I'm worried it'll fail me somewhere off in some distant land .

Quote Originally Posted by pabu boy View Post
    I use aerospace 303 protectant on all my fishing gear, including the kayak.
    So far it has been awesome (about a year now).
    I am sure it will be fine on a tarp even though I have never tried.
    http://www.303products.com/
    I've used that stuff on my car for years and it's worked wonders under constant sunlight. Don't know how it'll react with tarps, but I'll give it the old spot test and report back if it goes badly

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    If you can spare the weight canvas is fantastic. There is some great 6 - 8 oz stuff around that makes great tarps. Its prichy though for the good stuff.
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast