Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Wal-mart fabric "ON" again?

All of the local WWs axed the fabric departments, which is disappointing, as I never got to experience the WW ripstop that folks here at HF talk about.

My wife returned from WW this evening and told me that they have bolts of fabric in a clearance section for $5 each. She didn't know what kind of fabric... but it got me excited that the mythical $1/yd ripstop may be available again.

A prudent man probably wouldn't post this without checking first to see what kind of fabric they have, how many yards on each bolt, etc.
    I've rarely been accused of being prudent.

I'll check it out tomorrow when I make my annual pilgrimage to WW for 17 Gal of pink antifreeze. Time to winterize the boat this weekend.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Not entirely true

Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    All of the local WWs axed the fabric departments, which is disappointing, as I never got to experience the WW ripstop that folks here at HF talk about.

My wife returned from WW this evening and told me that they have bolts of fabric in a clearance section for $5 each. She didn't know what kind of fabric... but it got me excited that the mythical $1/yd ripstop may be available again.

A prudent man probably wouldn't post this without checking first to see what kind of fabric they have, how many yards on each bolt, etc.
    I've rarely been accused of being prudent.

I'll check it out tomorrow when I make my annual pilgrimage to WW for 17 Gal of pink antifreeze. Time to winterize the boat this weekend.
    Some WWs kept their fabric depts.

Looking forward to your recon report!
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Grab it while you can. My Wally's displayed the fabric in bins and soon there was none.
    Now my store is completely remodeled and there is NO fabric to be had.

I think the "bins and bolt sale" are the last of the local inventory and when it's gone, it's gone. I wish you luck that your store may be spared the same fate as my local stores. I have one regional store that has kept the dept. open, but it is greatly reduced and selection is small.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    I was told the Asheville/Skyland fabric dept will be staying open by the dept manager. I've not found anything of value there yet with exception to Insulbrite.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Both the Walmart's close to me went through the re-design and dropped the fabric departments. Now they only have the "crafts" section. At least they still sell 7/8" black grosgrain ribbon, 18ft for $2!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    It seems like the Wal marts in my area centralized all the fabric to one store, and when that stock is gone its gone.

Every time I go there the $1.50 bin is full of unknown fabric. That's OK because nylon and polyester is good enough for a hammock, or a tarp and I can tell the difference with 10% to 90% accuracy that it is definitely material.

If I need down proof, I not going to take the chance, I'll just buy some from an inter net site.

Just my 2 cents.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    Bigred's custom
    Tarp
    Bigred's custom
    Insulation
    Bigred's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch/Web
    Images
    I saw the bin sale yesterday as well.....no luck
    Bigred

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Around here the bin bolts at $1 /yd are "Odd lots of indeterminate fiber content" (Yes that is a legal US Fed labeling) and 5 yards in length. No cutting, no preview, no quality assurance. I did get a bolt for my wife at one point but she hasn't used it yet.

Our WW still has a fabric dept and I've been told it is safe for a while. But who really knows for sure. The camping usuable fabric has been pretty slim lickings for the last while.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Last I looked Camdenton, Missouri (Lake of the Ozarks) had fabric still and they had ripstop. Also Mizzou fabric, I know you all want that!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    I spoke to a manager at the WW in Duluth, GA and she said that they've removed the fabric departments from all of the ATL stores. To add insult to injury, the local JoAnn Fabrics has downsized and no longer carries Nylon or Ripstop outdoor fabrics. I can get camo fleece or cotton but not Nylon or Poly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast