View Poll Results: whats everyones favourite JRB underquilt?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nest

11 30.56%
  • no sniveller

14 38.89%
  • old rag mtn

4 11.11%
  • rocky mountain sniveller

4 11.11%
  • other

3 8.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oetzi View Post
    I have both the NS and the RMNS.
    With both I was at first dissapointed about the amount of down used:
    When laid out flat, there were actually large gaps in the chambers, void of any filling.
    This maybe is ok when using it as an underquilt, because one does not need any down at all in the outer 20% of the quilt. Also, when used as a blanket in the Hammock, this will fold up due to the restricted space above the sleeper and give enough loft.
    Still, as with sleepng bags, I like really filled chambers, because I am a very cold sleeper.
    So I had an additional filling: 9oz in the NS, 12.3oz into the RMNS.
    With an excellent 90/10 down of higher fill power than the original down.
    This cost me € 100,- (on top of the € 420,- already paid) but was well worth it, because now I have two really warm quilts the way I need them.
    lot of extra money and effort to turn a low quality quilt into something usable neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    my 5.00 3/8 army closed cell pad rules,been into the single digits with no problem neo

so many post here using a 500.00 quilt set still leaving them cold no were near as cold as i go down to and i still remain toasty neo
    the matrix has you

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    lot of extra money and effort to turn a low quality quilt into something usable neo
    Thats true with the € 100,- extra. I could have done without this and with a better (=more loft) down it wouldnt have been necessary.
    But the JRB´s are not primarily for Hammock use, which wouldnt have been often enough to justify the price, compared with my complete Snugpak setup from Bushcraft UK at a "measly" € 170,-:
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sho...k+underblanket
    But much more important is for me that they will be used most of the year as bedding! We have now +10°Celsius outside and with a window opened a little bit, the refilled NS is the minimum for me to stay warm at night
    Having looked around for new down blankets I was shocked to see how low the quality of the down was and how high the prices. So, even with the added costs of shipping, import duty and VAT they were adequate enough.
    Last edited by oetzi; 12-01-2007 at 06:05.

Hammock
    WBB1.7, HH EXP UL , Claytor Nonet
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images

Jrb

Nest and RMS

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Please be specific with your experiences when publicly criticizing. Constructive criticism is welcomed - it's a main reason we come here - but blanket statements are not. Criticism doesn't have to include a negative attitude, and is usually more effective when it doesn't.

I got my JRB set before the standard overfill, and I sent it back for more. Now they make them all with the overfill. As an underquilt, I can see the down settle to the bottom, leaving the edges thin. But I've NEVER been cold along the edges of the quilt. Not ever. All of my coldness has come through the bottom, where the down was full. For me, this has simply never been an issue. And for the weight and the temps it covers, I'm happy with the product.

As a top quilt, I fluff my stuff every time I get in anyway. If I lay them out on the floor I can see the difference between the NS and my SD Wicked Fast sleeping bag, for example...but I haven't felt any difference when I sleep in them. Not from shifting or insufficient down, at least - the bag has a hood and such so normal quilt-bag comparison applies.

I also have the 900fp PeaPod with 2 oz overstuff. I can see gaps in the down chambers in sections of that, as well. Still performs its function well and, based on its design, I don't think I would want to add much down w/o redesigning the baffle system. That doesn't make it a bad product or reflect bad quality - but it does make it slimmer, lighter, and probably more efficient for the weight than an overstuffed sleeping bag marketed to the masses who don't understand how loft, wind resistance and heat retention actually work. Just like the JRBs.

Too much down in a chamber, while it looks attractive, can actually reduce the efficiency of a quilt. First, down is meant to "loft" and not merely to "take up the space in the chamber." If the chamber is stuffed too full, the down cannot loft enough to create microclimes each cluster...and conduction begins to take over. It'll still be warm, just not as warm as it would be if allowed to loft properly. Second, it can affect how the quilt drapes over you, which can create air gaps that your body has to warm. And for this decrease in performance, you get...a heavier, bulkier and more expensive product.

But let's get back to the topic of the thread - favorite JRB quilts. If y'all want to compare products across manufacturers, start a new thread or dig up one of the old ones. And please - can't we all just get along?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    i've never used a jrb quilt, i am curious which one, and how cold does it go as an underquilt, before you have to add stuff like a ccf or something? i noticed there are no temps listed in their specs

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Several cottage makers are hesitant to list the temp ratings of their bags/quilts b/c it's so subjective and dependent on so many factors. Personally, I can use the JRB Nest+NS into the 30s comfortably, and 30F is about the lower limit for me.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images
    cool, i was wondering specifically about the warmer versions of their uq's like the rms or whatever else their is, i'm not sure which ones are uq and which ones are tq's, or if they are all interchangeable or what, maybe somebody with a winter uq will chime in.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They're all interchangeable, but I don't have any experience with the warmer ones.

JJ - I'm amazed at the range of temperatures people report as the low end, with the Nest. Maybe that should be a poll too, "How Low can you Go?" (no limbo!)

After Christmas, I should be able to find out for myself exactly how the Nest works with me

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast