Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Light fleece UUQ

Tonights project was an underquilt... but without the quilting.
    I think I'll call it UUQ for Under Un-Quilt.

No idea what it weighs. Don't have a scale.

Doesn't compress well. Rolls to about 13" x 5" diameter.

Shell side

fleece side

1) Started with very light Polyester camo (feels like liner fabric, was $3/yd clearance at Joann).
    2) Cut to the KAQ shell dimensions.
    3) Hemmed perimeter with wide hem so I can run cord through it for attachment to hammock.
    4) Darted sides
    5) Attached grosgrain loops at 4 corners and 2 darts for more attachment options
    6) Pinned one layer of fleece to shell and sewed along the edge, attaching fleece to shell
    7) Trimmed off excess fleece

I think I have just enough shell and fleece left to make a rectangular one for one of my kids.

I'm new at this and have gone down to the low 40s comfortably with a z-lite pad under, a fleece bag liner, and sleeping bag as a TQ.
    I don't expect this UUQ to mean I can go without the z-lite, but hope it:
    -blocks some wind, reducing convective cooling of any parts that slip off of the z-lite overnight
    -provides a little bit of insulation (not expecting much)
    -gives me a place to stuff other bottom insulation, like a SA down throw or two, maybe a sheet of insul-bright, a space blanket, thin foam, etc.

I hope to have time to set up the hammock tomorrow and sort out how to mount the UUQ, but probably won't get to sleep in it until Sunday or Monday night.

Oh, here's the fleece TQ I made last week... or I guess it's a TUQ.
    http://gear-report.com/wp-content/up...0_1020x765.jpg
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Looks good! Let us know how your testing goes.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    DOH!!

Silly me.
    I cut the nylon shell fabric according to the KAQ pattern, but somehow overlooked that the KAQ plans are oriented for one direction of diagonal lay... while my new WBBB clone has the footbox on the OTHER side.

You might expect that would have been obvious to me at some point. I guess I was too "into" what I was doing. The old "forest for the trees" scenario.

So, Looks like I'll be making another one.

In the big picture, it isn't a big deal, as I can easily use this on my Spear clone or HH clone... Just REALLY annoying, as I wanted to use it with the WBBB clone.
    Or I could just flip it over and use it with the nylon shell up and fleece down. still probably better than nothing.

Oh well.
    I've got the fleece and shell material to make another one, and was going to make at least one more for my kids anyway. I'll just be making another adult sized one sooner than I had anticipated.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    JohnSawyer reminded me in another thread to give an update on this UQ... so here goes...

I used the shape and dimensions from the KAQ pattern, but did not do a full KAQ.
    Shell is light nylon (not sure how light, but feels a bit less than the 1.9oz silnylon I used for my tarp) on each side, with a single layer of fleece inside.
    the head end of the nylon shell is held closed with velcro, so I can insert layers.

Only got down to about 49F Sunday night.
    I slept in fleece pants and a long sleeve UnderArmor type shirt. No socks, gloves or hat.
    TQ was a single layer fleece ~9ft x 60in, closed with a footbox and sewed into a cylinder up to my waist. Not sewed at the top. It is really long so I can pull up some to use as a pillow (that doesn't slide under me when I move), or over my head to make a micro climate inside.
    Pitched my 10x12 hex tarp very close to the ground and the hammock in hope of reducing draft and capturing some heat. Very little wind that night, although there was rain. No issues with the rain at all (thankfully... this was the first rain on the DIY tarp, so relieved it did well.)

I was plenty warm until the temp bottomed at 49 around 2:30 am. At that point I wasn't cold, but was no longer toasty. I pulled my mummy bag in and put it over the fleece TQ and was super warm.

I've still got some minor adjustments to the attachment of the UQ to keep it positioned properly. Since I'm 6'4", I should have made it a touch longer. That would make precise positioning less of an issue.

I was VERY pleased with how the UQ performed and hoping to get back out later this week when it is a bit cooler overnight to see how low I can go before CBS sets in.
    I'm guessing that with the mummy bag I can get another 5-10 degrees... but I have very little experience to base that on.
    I have some thin closed cell foam sheet that was part of the packaging for a computer monitor. It fits nicely in the UQ, and I expect it will give me another 5-10 degrees as well.
    Will also experiment with a space blanket at some point.

Overall, very pleased with the performance of the UQ so far.
    I've got about 5 yards of nylon at ~2.60/yd (clearance @ Joann) + 2.5 yards of fleece at $2/yd (fleece sale at Hancock Fabric) + shock cord, a few toggles, a few feet of grosgrain for tie-out points, thread... so about $20-25 in it so far.

I made my snakeskins big enough that I leave the UQ on the hammock when I skin it.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    JohnSawyer reminded me in another thread to give an update on this UQ... so here goes...

I used the shape and dimensions from the KAQ pattern, but did not do a full KAQ.
    Shell is light nylon (not sure how light, but feels a bit less than the 1.9oz silnylon I used for my tarp) on each side, with a single layer of fleece inside.
    the head end of the nylon shell is held closed with velcro, so I can insert layers.

Only got down to about 49F Sunday night.
    I slept in fleece pants and a long sleeve UnderArmor type shirt. No socks, gloves or hat.
    TQ was a single layer fleece ~9ft x 60in, closed with a footbox and sewed into a cylinder up to my waist. Not sewed at the top. It is really long so I can pull up some to use as a pillow (that doesn't slide under me when I move), or over my head to make a micro climate inside.
    Pitched my 10x12 hex tarp very close to the ground and the hammock in hope of reducing draft and capturing some heat. Very little wind that night, although there was rain. No issues with the rain at all (thankfully... this was the first rain on the DIY tarp, so relieved it did well.)

I was plenty warm until the temp bottomed at 49 around 2:30 am. At that point I wasn't cold, but was no longer toasty. I pulled my mummy bag in and put it over the fleece TQ and was super warm.

I've still got some minor adjustments to the attachment of the UQ to keep it positioned properly. Since I'm 6'4", I should have made it a touch longer. That would make precise positioning less of an issue.

I was VERY pleased with how the UQ performed and hoping to get back out later this week when it is a bit cooler overnight to see how low I can go before CBS sets in.
    I'm guessing that with the mummy bag I can get another 5-10 degrees... but I have very little experience to base that on.
    I have some thin closed cell foam sheet that was part of the packaging for a computer monitor. It fits nicely in the UQ, and I expect it will give me another 5-10 degrees as well.
    Will also experiment with a space blanket at some point.

Overall, very pleased with the performance of the UQ so far.
    I've got about 5 yards of nylon at ~2.60/yd (clearance @ Joann) + 2.5 yards of fleece at $2/yd (fleece sale at Hancock Fabric) + shock cord, a few toggles, a few feet of grosgrain for tie-out points, thread... so about $20-25 in it so far.

I made my snakeskins big enough that I leave the UQ on the hammock when I skin it.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I love that camo material...it almost looks slightly iridescent in those photos.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Did you use the Z-lite pad, or just the UQ underneath?
    Did not use anything but the UQ for bottom insulation.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    I love that camo material...it almost looks slightly iridescent in those photos.
    That would be cool, but sadly, it is not

• + New Posts