Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images

3/16 inch pad

Last night it was forecast to get in the low 50s (it actually dipped just below 55 degrees) so I decided to try my Oware CCF pad in my double layer Warbonnet Blackbird. I knew it was OK for 60 degrees and wanted to try to find the lowest comfortable temperature for just the pad.

The pad is 40 x 60 and is 3/16 inch thick. It is "Plastizote cross linked closed cell foam". Mine weighs 7 ounces. This pad is no longer listed on Oware's website.

I dragged the hammock stand onto the grass (better for stakes than concrete!), set up the hammock, pitched my OES tarp relatively high and open, since the wind would be all of 2mph or less, threw my JRB Shenandoah in and waited for bed time.

Around 10pm I hopped into a lightweight set of wool long underwear, found warm fuzzy socks, put my wool buff on under my wool watchcap and headed to bed.

I was warm and comfortable until 3am, when according to the neighbors' personal weather station, the temp dipped below 55 degrees. Then I lay around for a while trying to figure out if my back was sweaty and therefore cold, or just cold. The rest of me was toasty warm, just the parts on the pad were chilled.

I bailed out to the house and my back was cool to the touch. So, not sweaty, just slightly refrigerated.

The pad works fine, but I'll save it for summer trips below 1500 feet or for daytime backyard lounging.
    -Liz -

I have the older 1/4" Oware. It's been good down to the mid- to low-20s. That extra 16th of an inch doesn't make for the 30 degree lower temp range I get out of the pad -- it's the rest of the sleep system. Tweek yours and I think you can get much, much more out of the pad.

Other variables remaining the same, of course.

FB

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    I have the older 1/4" Oware. It's been good down to the mid- to low-20s. That extra 16th of an inch doesn't make for the 30 degree lower temp range I get out of the pad -- it's the rest of the sleep system. Tweek yours and I think you can get much, much more out of the pad.

Other variables remaining the same, of course.

FB
    The 1/4" pads are rated at an R value of 1.1 which would equate to about 57° F. I'm thinking you're using much more than just the pad underneath you for those kind of results.
    Last edited by wisenber; 11-07-2010 at 12:18.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    I have the older 1/4" Oware. It's been good down to the mid- to low-20s. That extra 16th of an inch doesn't make for the 30 degree lower temp range I get out of the pad -- it's the rest of the sleep system.
    So, what's the rest of your sleep system?
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A.Y. View Post
    I've folded my 40X60x0.25 into a 40X30X0.5 and made it to the upper 40's. My BA insulated AirCore with an R of 4.1 will get me into the high 20's with some "wings" on the side to keep my shoulders warm. Below that, you'll need to stack pads. Keep in mind, that is ALL that I'm using as insulation underneath me. A heavy sleeping bag or heavy layers of clothing will add substantially to that total, but pads alone... an R value of 1 is good for approximately 11° F of insulation (which tends to begin at 70° F). In short, and R1 will keep you warm to 59°F (70-11=59).

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I've folded my 40X60x0.25 into a 40X30X0.5 and made it to the upper 40's. My BA insulated AirCore with an R of 4.1 will get me into the high 20's with some "wings" on the side to keep my shoulders warm. Below that, you'll need to stack pads. Keep in mind, that is ALL that I'm using as insulation underneath me. A heavy sleeping bag or heavy layers of clothing will add substantially to that total, but pads alone... an R value of 1 is good for approximately 11° F of insulation (which tends to begin at 70° F). In short, and R1 will keep you warm to 59°F (70-11=59).
    Thanks for the info!
    I considered folding the pad up for more insulation, but I do like to sprawl and that'd cramp my style!

I have a lovely warm 3 season Crowsnest underquilt which is what I usually use. I was experimenting with a thin pad to see if I could find something to use above 40 degrees that was significantly lighter then the already light (just under a pound) Crowsnest I already have.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Thanks for the info!
    I considered folding the pad up for more insulation, but I do like to sprawl and that'd cramp my style!

I have a lovely warm 3 season Crowsnest underquilt which is what I usually use. I was experimenting with a thin pad to see if I could find something to use above 40 degrees that was significantly lighter then the already light (just under a pound) Crowsnest I already have.
    I've got my share of underquilts as well. 30X40 gives you a lot more room to move around than you'd think. It will basically cover shoulders to hips and you can sprawl your legs wherever you want in temps to the upper 40's. That pad can also lower your 3 season UQ to a 4 season UQ as well. A wide pad also does wonders if you're going to be on an extended wet trip as it will not lose an insulation value when it gets wet.

Right now I have a Gossamer Gear 40X60X0.25. I just ordered the JRB 26X40X0.25. The smaller one will cut down on bulk, work as a sit pad, windshield, fan as well as a booster for my UQ if temps dip below what I was expecting or just a dry place to put my gear for about 6 ounces and less than 10 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    The 1/4" pads are rated at an R value of 1.1 which would equate to about 57° F. I'm thinking you're using much more than just the pad underneath you for those kind of results.
    - The normal array of sleeping clothes, some mentioned above; long underwear (medium weight Smartwools - there's lighter long johns, but none that feel nicer to me), fleece balaclava, fresh wool socks, booties, fleece glove liners. Depending on the anticipated temps, I've always used some combination of these...even long before I got my Hennessy.

- insulated clothes; Bozeman Mountain Works Cocoon pants, Integral Designs Dolomitti jacket w/hood

- above mentioned Oware pad

This is my standard system...during the late summer or a 'heat wave' some of the heavier insulated clothing might drop out but it can freeze any night during the May-October season in my home range. Because of the warm days but cold nights I feel I must carry the cold weather clothing yet I have virtually never used it when working up some heat as I hoof down the trail. By incorporating it into the sleep system I put it to dual use and I save the weight of a bag as I don't use any top cover.

I've hit 26° on the trail (no mini-max thermometer, it may have got lower) and 22° in a backyard test. At the lower temp I felt cold coming through which I'm certain the addition of my sit pad (a piece of blue foam) would have conquered. In both instances I was in ID Denali pants instead of the BMW Cocoon's.

An unanticipated advantage of all this is the luxury of not having to 'dress' for a late night Nature call. I just drop out of the hammock, find a suitable tree, and find my way back to the hammock. No wrestling with a bag/cover, nothing to warm up again... And if I want to wait for the sun, no cold morning dressing, either.

Obviously the addition of a top cover and a boost to the pad would significantly extend the temp range but most of my camping is solo and I'm not up to facing Montana winter snow and temps by myself. This system is just fine for 'my' three-season camping. And saves a couple pounds...

FB

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    FB, that would make a lot more sense. I've been playing around with a down hood, coat and pants with just my 1/4" GG pad. I also used a BPL 13 oz PL TQ (mostly because I like to have something over me) and was good into the teens this past weekend at around 4500'. The Western Mountaineering pants weigh about 11 oz and the NF Nuptse is about 28 oz.

Still I believe wearing uninsulated hiking clothing while using a 1/4" pad will get you to about 57° F.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    This is my standard system...during the late summer or a 'heat wave' some of the heavier insulated clothing might drop out but it can freeze any night during the May-October season in my home range. Because of the warm days but cold nights I feel I must carry the cold weather clothing yet I have virtually never used it when working up some heat as I hoof down the trail. By incorporating it into the sleep system I put it to dual use and I save the weight of a bag as I don't use any top cover.
    Thanks, Fiddleback. What you described is great and just the info I was looking for.
    -Liz -

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast