HH UL Backpacker Zip/ HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Expedition & Hex
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Soon to be Whoopie

Sew I can't sew!

Ok so I'm learning that sewing slippery things such as sleeping bags and the like is not as easy as I thought. I managed to turn what was once a nice sleeping bag into a frankenstein looking OQ and throw for inside the hammock.

I'm hoping that this gets easier but at least so far what I've done will be hidden on the inside!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Who cares what it looks like.. Does it WORK?

I've had a few people comment on *SOME* of my gear, questioning that I really made it... Misshapen, functional things have character...

Welcome to the addiction...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Images
    i barter with the fabric store. she can't hammer a nail to save her life LOL
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Misshapen, functional things have character...
    So *that's* why my fiance likes me!

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Modding a sleeping bag isn't the easiest thing to do, slippery, thick and your working from the outside in. Try building some stuff sacks, that will get the confidence level back up!

If you really have a thing for straight stitches try this: Remove the thread from the machine, including bobbin (just put in an empty one), then take some normal ruled tablet/writing paper and try to "sew" (remember, no thread) on the lines. You can also use stencils to make shapes and practice tough stitches before actually ruining your piece of fabric or having to rip threads. One warning, dedicate a needle to punching paper because it will get dull quickly and you don't wanna sew fabric with it after it is dull.

Or you can be like the rest of us and learn to LOVE your CUSTOM stitching!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I for one have learned to love my custom stitching!

Stick with it. With practice it quickly becomes easier. I do believe that as backpackers, and specifically hangers, we sew with some of the most demanding materials out there. Extremely slippery silnylon, stretchy netting, heavy duty tree straps just to name a few. Plus, we are usually measuring & cutting huge pieces of fabric.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    If you really have a thing for straight stitches try this: Remove the thread from the machine, including bobbin (just put in an empty one), then take some normal ruled tablet/writing paper and try to "sew" (remember, no thread) on the lines. You can also use stencils to make shapes and practice tough stitches before actually ruining your piece of fabric or having to rip threads. One warning, dedicate a needle to punching paper because it will get dull quickly and you don't wanna sew fabric with it after it is dull.

Rat has a good idea there. That is exactly what my wife did as a skills test when she applied for a job in a commercial sewing factory. Be very aware of Rat's suggestion to dedicate one needle for paper. _Nothing_ dulls sewing equipment of any kind like paper.

Under no circumstances cut any paper other than commercial pattern tissue with your good fabric shears/scissors unless you want to have to sharpen them several times a year. This is particularly important if you have spent more than $3.99 for you sewing scissors. Have a cheapo disposable pair of scissors for the kids/in-laws/spouse/burglars to use. I learned that at the tender age of preschool when I was caught using my mom's Case scissors to make newsprint paper snowflakes.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayak Camper View Post
    Sew I can't sew!

• + New Posts