ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing

Thinking to moving up to an underquilt

I have gone down somewhat low so far with a cheap blue foam pad. I think I made it down to the upper 30's using that with my homemade down topquilt. I might be able to push it a little further with a pad, but I'm not too sure.

I just don't have the time right now to make my own bottom quilt. However, if I can't decide on one this year, I will probably have time to make one next year after I've finished my degree.

At any rate, the manufacturers and model names and all are largely unknown to me. JRB is familiar, but the others are not. I just can't tell what will suit my needs.

I have no idea if I'd want a full length UQ, or a shorter one. Since I use an ENO, I really have no need for anything with a bottom slit compatible with a Hennessey.

Any ideas?

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    What's your budget?
    What position do you sleep?
    Are you a Warm Sleeper or Cold Sleeper?
    Do you need to be lightweight, or less bulk?

For example, my thought process:

I got a great deal on a WarbonnetOutdoors.com Yeti underquilt, which is a 3/4 size quilt. It kept me warm (I'm a warm sleeper), but I'm a side sleeper and I move around a lot at night. So I found myself sticking out past the quilt at night with all my tossing and turning. So I moved on a full length underquilt...which suited me perfectly because I'm not an Ultra Lightweight camper, I also camp with a dog (who crashes in the hammock with me), and I car camp with friends more than I solo...so besides the bulk (And cost), everything else about a full length underquilt suited me.

I wound up buying a Winter Incubator from www.hammockgear.com and it should be here soon I hope. Stormcrow makes great gear, as so all the other sellers that support this forum. I figured I was getting one of the best Under Quilts out there, so I didn't let cost get in the way and splurged on it. It's one of those things where you pay once, cry once - get the right gear the first time so you're not fussing around with half-assed solutions and eventually buying the right gear anyways.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    At this point I don't have a budget...trying to get a feel for the market.

I'd probably have to sell some underused gear to fund the majority of the purchase. The cost of what I need will determine how much I have to sell and how long it'll take.

I don't really settle on a single position. I'm an active sleeper (hence my move to a hammock in the first place).

I tend to sleep somewhat warm.

I backpack (and I do so on the lighter side, though not necessarily UL), so I'd want lighter weight and less bulk if I can get it.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I'm a short (5'4"), cold sleeper. Back sleeper who doesn't move around much. Have experienced the expensive route (aka. trial & error) to figure out what works best for me. Have gone from full size uq (JRBs) to 3/4. The Yeti has become my uq of choice. Primarily because the Yeti provide the coverage I need in a relatively light and compact kit.

The temp ratings listed by these 2 manufacturers even for a cold sleeper I feel are pretty accurate. Choice of style & maker in order of importance comes down to coverage needs, weight/pack volume and cost. I would keep a careful watch for used gear. Doorknobs like me end up providing some decent "bargains" on gear.

If purchasing just one uq IMHO going too warm vs. too cool is the better choice. Going on the warmer side allows for a lighter tq. You can always vent a too warm uq.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Click on the ads in the top right corner of the page, hit refresh to get a new ad (might have to hit a few times before they change). That's about all the main ones right there, except maybe Arrowhead Equip that has the KA UQ.

You can always supplement with a pad, so I'd go for a 3-season UQ. I went with a 3/4 UQ from JRB because I wanted the option of buying the complement (add'l 1/4) if I wanted a full length UQ - but the 3/4 has been plenty satisfactory for me.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Fl Jacket
    Suspension
    whoopies

Comparison Chart

mtbikernate - This is a chart I made for myself and found useful for comparison. It's not intended to be entirely complete - this is from one newbie to another. I'm definitely no expert. I'm mostly working from the info off the websites. I emailed the makers to get more info and put in the responses I got. I know it's a busy season for them all.

Adam of HammockGear had made a chart a while ago, but it is in need of updating. Something tells me it's not on the top of his to-do list right now. This is just an offering as an in-between until someone who knows what they're doing can update. Hope it's of some help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

My 2 cents

I have a full length synethetic 3 season DIY KAQ.
    I have a 3/4 length down 3 season. Both are rated to about 20.

My thoughts, I definitely would go with down for warmth vs. weight and compressibility. I'm really on a "down" kick, so take my advice with a grain of salt. To me, down has a much wider temperature range than synthetic. It's also sooo fluffy

I think I prefer the full length to the 3/4 length for setup ease and tossing and turning. I have only 4 nights with the 3/4 and a foot pad. I've never carried a sit pad/foot pad before but I'm getting used to it. The foot pad came in very handy this weekend (as a sit pad). The foot pad tends to slide around a lot and if I turn to my side, it may stay in place or it might fall out. Like I said, I'm still working on my technique. Right now, I am placing between the layers on my doulble layer hammock and it's working. I cut a piece of blue ccf pad into 4 sections and sewed them in a 1.9 nylon sleeve much like the link below so it folds up well.

https://montbell.us/products/disp.ph...3&p_id=1124277

The down side of a full length is larger size/weight all the time with a benefit really only in the cooler temps. In warmer temps, a foot pad is not really necessary. Higher total cost, but someone recently posted on a cost per ounce of down basis, the full is a better deal. The real cost in all of these is the labor. Having made several UQs and a TQ, materials are a small portion of the total cost.

Synthetics reportedly insulate better (but not fully) when wet, but in reality, if you have a soaked UQ, you're likely gonna be in survival mode in cold weather. Synthetics are usually a little less expensive.

On temp ratings, I would go with a lower temp rating if you're on the borderline. In my case, I have many nights with lows in the 70s (summer) where a UQ is barely needed. My "winter" season is usually lows in the 40s with a rare chance of the high 20s (like this past weekend). I chose to make 20 degree rated UQs instead of the summer weight 45 degree rated UQ, although I rarely expect to see 20 and 40-50 degrees is a normal low for me.

I've only had experience with one gear maker/supplier- stormcrow at hammockgear.com and he is someone I will do business with again.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    thanks for the chart attachment, newlease.

I've been backpacking for awhile, so I get the deal with the merits of down vs synthetic.

I made my own down TQ in 2006 or so that'll go down to about 20, I think. I made my wife one, too, and we love 'em, even in a tent.

I just want to be more comfortable sleeping in colder temps. the pad gets clammy at night.

around here, I don't have many mid-temp nights (50-60) in a given year. it's either hot all summer (70+, a bit much for me most of the time) or its getting down under 50 and I definitely need some insulation.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernate View Post
    thanks for the chart attachment, newlease.

I've been backpacking for awhile, so I get the deal with the merits of down vs synthetic.

I made my own down TQ in 2006 or so that'll go down to about 20, I think. I made my wife one, too, and we love 'em, even in a tent.

I just want to be more comfortable sleeping in colder temps. the pad gets clammy at night.

around here, I don't have many mid-temp nights (50-60) in a given year. it's either hot all summer (70+, a bit much for me most of the time) or its getting down under 50 and I definitely need some insulation.
    Sounds like a recipe for a down 20 degree.

• + New Posts