View Poll Results: Have you used a Pod style quilt, like a PeaPod?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never tried one

120 79.47%
  • tried it and thought it was too constricting/claustrophobic

2 1.32%
  • I tried one and found it very warm and comfortable

23 15.23%
  • I tried one and was cold at or above rated temps

2 1.32%
  • I never tried it because it seemed too heavy

6 3.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pod remembrance

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wisenber, you have shattered my personal non-TQ record! On my week long Wind River trip, I gambled and went without a TQ, using a narrow Claytor and a 20F pod. I had light weight puffy Polarguard hooded jacket(14 oz) and pants(8 oz) and a 9 oz down vest, all of which was used for camp wear any way and hiking in the snow. That's all I had, except I did add a space blanket under the hammock.
    The big difference is that you were actually in the field. To me, 15 in the backyard is roughly equivalent to 27 in the field. I'm pretty sure my pad makes a difference as well. (I've evolved back to always having a pad with me.)
    Having made it through 15, I would feel secure in using the peapod alone if I "knew" it would not be below 20. (My temperature planning usually involves the lowest projected temp for the area and altitude then subtract 10.) So a forecast of 27 would be as low as I would plan on the peapod alone. The weakest link for me is definitely the top. I could feel the cold this morning leeching through.

That being said, I'm leaning toward bringing heavier duty down clothing with me this Winter. (I'm shifting from my Rab PL to my NF Nuptse along with bring some 10 ounce Western Mountaineering Flight pants.) On my own, I tend to hike, cook, clean then sleep. In which case I never needed all of the heavier duty camp clothing as I relied on my sleep system for the most part. Backpacking with others, there is more time spent out of my warm hammock, so I'll be bringing the extra down clothing. With those down pants and a jacket (and of course the head cover), I think the 20° peapod with a thin pad could be reliable to 10° and possibly lower.

To be fair, that is a pretty big caveat. If one were to read these posts and merely take with them that a peapod alone when used properly will go to 10 is pretty misleading when I'm actually saying that a peapod and about $450 bucks of additional down clothing and a pad will get to 10.

The real claim should be about what BillyBob58 experienced. A narrow hammock and a 20° peapod alone can be relied on to the mid 20's for a complete three season system weighing 38 ounces.

Medicineman on the other hand is taking it a step further. An uber stuffed peapod like what he is working on should make it to 10 by itself.

Note: While I do look forward to Medicineman's reports on the overstuffing, I do not share his dream of him naked at 5°. I'm just sayin....

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I have found that the Pea Pod works ideally with a hammock sock. I have been doing this for two years. This set up will easily keep someone warm during the winter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456