Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

major lower back pain

I know from experience sleeping in my hammock gives me a great nights sleep. But I majorly hurt my back a few weeks ago and still on the mend. (dont have any idea how it happened) Im very hesitant about doing anything to make it worse these days. Maybe a thread is here somewhere already about this but Id like to hear from any who are dealing or did deal with this in using the hammock in therapy? The curvature of the back in the hammock seems to be opposite of what the normal spinal curvature is. Any feed back? Thanx, Bill

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Sorry to hear about your injury. I know a few members here switched to sleeping in a hammocks to help the pain in their back. I'm sure they can elaborate more.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    sorry to hear about your back my friend. every back is different but maybe you can try a few things to see if they help.

i broke vertebrae in my back & a bunch of ribs back in 02.
    it was a while later that i discovered hammocking (about april 05), but on the 3 occasions i have slept in a bed since i started using a hammock w/ air mat, i wasn't nearly as comfortable in the bed.

i've done some experimenting w/ different pads & no pad, but i keep coming back to the DAM.
    i have one by exped & one by warmlight. both are great.
    they warm the back also.

i use them softly inflated so they conform to my body, supporting the lower back when laying on my back.
    i still use a little of the diagonal lay for the lift that it provides.
    i also use a pillow under my knees when on my back & between my knees when on my side.

sometimes it feels good to also let my heels hang off the bottom end of the mat when on my back.

don't hesitate to keep shifting until you find the position that works for you.
    i hope you find the right combo. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Crawldaddy, most lower back (lumbar?) pain can be helped by stretching as follows:

1) Find a chair, usually a chair is 18in tall.

2) Find something to place one hand on for balance, a kitchen counter or dining table should work.

3) Place one leg on the chair and SLOWLY, WITHOUT BENDING YOUR BACK, bend forward and stretch your leg. Hold for 15-20 seconds. You may only be able to bend forward a few inches, that is fine for now.

4) Repeat for the other leg. Do this every hour each day for a week, it only takes a minute, literally.

If you are unable to do this exercise at this time, you need to see a doctor and probably a physical therapist.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Crawldaddy- Take-a-knee's stretching is a great way to help your back pain.

I've had a bad lower back since I tried moving a gym wall diving for a basketball in Jr. High. I was told it looked like someone threw me like a javelin into the wall. Compressed my spine; kinda hurt. Ever since then my back would go out to the point I couldn't walk on my own about once a year. It usually lasted about a week and was misery. When I read a post about someone switching to hammocks because of a bad back I had to pay attention. I switched to hammocks at home and ditched the very expensive bed I had bought for my back.

Short story; it's been almost a year and I haven't had so much as a twitch out of my back. I'm using it more than ever carrying a backpack around the woods and twisting myself to get through underbrush and such. My chiropractor gives me a hard time every time he sees me (he banks where I work) because he says he can't make his car payments without my visits. Seriously, I now know how normal people feel when they wake-up in the mornings. My back and knees actually hold my weight right away these days. I'm convinced the hammocks are what has allowed me to exercise effectively again.

Everything works differently for everyone, but I would strongly encourage people with back problems to at least give hammocking a shot. It was worth it to me!

Images
    I had surgery for a ruptured disk in 1980 and eventually learned that recovery was dependent on keeping weight within acceptable limits, staying in shape (especially keeping the abdomen strong to prevent the spine from carrying all the load), and swallowing enough pride and ego to admit that you can't lift everything even though you may be strong enough. Everything was going well until about a year ago. I was pushing my weekly running mileage in preparation for a half marathon when I think I pushed too hard and ruptured another disk. This time it has not been devastatingly painful like the 1980 event, but it has the potential to be bothersome. Very small and unexplainable differences in position, whether seated or lying down, have the ability to either be comfortable or very, very, very....etc. uncomfortable. The hammock offers more comfortable options in sleeping position than a bed, and certainly more than sleeping on the ground. That also explains my love for the huge JRB Katahdin top quilt...I can sleep in a figure 4 which relieves pressure on my back. It's very helpful to put a pillow under or between my knees, and sleeping on my stomach, or in any position that causes my back to arch is out of the question. Beyond that, I am careful about keeping my back straight, try not to bend over from the waist, avoid heavy lifting ("heavy" has a different definition than for most folks), and TAKE LONG WALKS. Good luck. DTE

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    I have arthritis in my back that is of a systemic sort that comes and goes and eventually burns itself out...for years at a time. At MAHHA, it was still somewhat active. We walked a few miles each day just to get to the parking lot and back to pick up supplies. Also, "OH NO" and I went to Traildays and walked around a bit. Normally, I'd feel stiffness and/or pain in my back somewhat the next day.
    Each morning, after sleeping all night in my Speer hammock, I awoke to no, and I mean zero, pain. I was amazed. If I didn't live with my girlfriend, I'd probably sleep in my hammock every night.
    BTW, I agree that proper stretching is an amazing thing and can make a big difference in how I feel. The most important thing is to stretch gently and be consistent. Don't stop stretching just because you start to feel better. Make it a part of your every day routine.

I just remembered another thing all back sufferers should be aware of; don' t do a lot of stooping for the first hour or so after you get out of bed. Your inververtebral discs are hydrophillic (water loving), they swell during the night, especially if you are properly hydrated as you should be. After you've stood and born weight on your spine they compress back to normal, so be careful putting on your socks and don't do any heavy-duty stretching first thing.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    sorry to hear about your back my friend. every back is different but maybe you can try a few things to see if they help.

i broke vertebrae in my back & a bunch of ribs back in 02.
    it was a while later that i discovered hammocking (about april 05), but on the 3 occasions i have slept in a bed since i started using a hammock w/ air mat, i wasn't nearly as comfortable in the bed.

i've done some experimenting w/ different pads & no pad, but i keep coming back to the DAM.
    i have one by exped & one by warmlight. both are great.
    they warm the back also.

i use them softly inflated so they conform to my body, supporting the lower back when laying on my back.
    i still use a little of the diagonal lay for the lift that it provides.
    i also use a pillow under my knees when on my back & between my knees when on my side.

sometimes it feels good to also let my heels hang off the bottom end of the mat when on my back.

don't hesitate to keep shifting until you find the position that works for you.
    i hope you find the right combo. ...tim
    Hey Tim,
    Do you like the Exped Dam 7 better than your BA insulated air mattress or do you use one in the winter and one in warmer weather?
    MQ

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I appreciate all the comments and advise. Maybe we outa start a new catagory: 'Broken Backs for Hammocks' or somthing

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast