Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Hilleberg
    Insulation
    evazote
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    yeah i've been experimenting, i have a big 3m storm trooper looking mask, it worked great but too big to pack, haven't tried the small mask but wrapping my fleece hood over my face worked fine

one night was so cold and i had nothing over my mouth my punching bag (uvula) swole up like a grape it was annoying

i think i'll stick with the fleece hood less it becomes a problem again

i read some reviews, the psolar blocks your nose, looks like it warms the air to 75 degrees though so your core temp would stay high in extremes, and cabellas has some hunting exchangers with larger filters that save the humidity from your breath

I was watching the everest show on discovery, they have masks with a bag hanging from them, wonder if you can get just the mask fairly cheap, haven't found one anywhere yet

Images
    i'm telling you guys, i haven't slept in one yet, which i guess i just need to do, but i've used one at work sometimes in cold weather, and they work well. the kind i use is rigid, so it never touches your face, and there is enough volume in there, that when you breathe in, you can't really feel the cold air air coming in at all (maybe if you were breathing heavy), and whenever you breathe out, you feel the warmth on your whole face.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Hilleberg
    Insulation
    evazote
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    here's a pic of my 3m mask, is that what you're talkin bout or something smaller?

Images
    no, the ones i'm talking about often come in a 3 pac, i think they are made by 3m, but they are kinda round, made out of stiff white fabric, and have 2 yellow ruberbands that go around the back of your head, on the inside of the mask, at the edge where your nose is, there is a metal strip that you bend over the bridge of your nose to kinda form it to your nose, and get a nice tight seal. i think they are made for particles only, should be right next to the ones for painters and cost a couple bucks each.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Hilleberg
    Insulation
    evazote
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    i'll try those next time i'm at the hardware store

Quote Originally Posted by snull View Post
    I found some heat exchanging balaclavas that warm the air you breathe in, psolar makes one that I figure might prevent this, anyone else have this occur or tried these?
    ha - reminds me of the sandmen from starwars...

Images

neck gaitor

What about a plain old fleece neck gaiter? (sp?) I first started using one of these alpine skiing, and it's the best thing I ever used for that, comfortable and dirt simple. Every thing else I tried for face protection would cause my ski goggles to fog up, and was not as warm. They are very easy to breathe thru- I guess that may vary with brand and weight of fleece? Don't know. I suppose that since it was much better about NOT fogging my goggles, then it was keeping some moisture in? What ever, very soft and comfortable, adds a good bit of warmth under all conditions ( more so than any hat/balaclava alone that I have used, but can be used in combo with any of those), and quickly/easily pulls up over nose and/or ears when needed, or down around neck only if not needed. I remembered this last year( after not using it at first) during some cold weather hammock testing, and it made a lot of difference towards staying comfortable and warm. But I am just theorizing as to how much help it MIGHT be with the sore, dry throat problem, since I've never had that with or without it. Probably worth a try. Also, dual use, in the hammock and out in camp/hiking.

Hi all
    havent posted in a while and thought I'd drop my $.02
    spent a night out in the cold with my skeeter beater hammock- got down to 24 degrees and I was toasty warm-
    I took a military poncho liner and sewed it to the bottom of the hammock- that with a 15deg bag and a set of poly long johns with my gg tarp were all that was needed for a comfy night-did this once last year but only got down to about 28-30 degrees- so its nice to know that it doesnt take all that much to get comfy in the cold-(depending on what you think comfy is)

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by landcruzr View Post
    Hi all
    havent posted in a while and thought I'd drop my $.02
    spent a night out in the cold with my skeeter beater hammock- got down to 24 degrees and I was toasty warm-
    I took a military poncho liner and sewed it to the bottom of the hammock- that with a 15deg bag and a set of poly long johns with my gg tarp were all that was needed for a comfy night-did this once last year but only got down to about 28-30 degrees- so its nice to know that it doesnt take all that much to get comfy in the cold-(depending on what you think comfy is)
    You been drinkin anti-freeze? That's pretty low for a poncho liner underneath. What's it made of and how much does it weigh?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I was glancing at the psolar thing and think if they extend it a little and put a catch tube on it for condensing humidity you'd have nearly the same heat exchanger dimensions as a few of the smaller sterling engines and they can boast upwards of 80% exchange efficiancy... I wonder how much energy is used warming our air when we sleep in the cold
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast