Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

Question How to set up a tarp

OK I am finally getting around to asking some tarp questions based upon my first hang. I found that running a RL from tree to tree and then trying to figure out how to attach a tarp is a bugger. Plus when hanging the tarp below the suspension straps there is no way to center the RL of the tarp because it has to go to one side or the other. I will admit I suck at knot tying and that was the hardest parts for me. I ended up just tying the tarp off to the loose ends that were hanging from the tree. To me this seemed redundant. Isn't the point of an RL to be able to tie off the tarp with some fancy knot onto the RL and not to the tree. If that is the case then what is the purpose of an RL. To me it would seem easier to just run line off each end and tie off to the tree directly and not have an RL...it would save weight as well. So here are the Questions that come to the top of my head.

A: How do you tie up a tarp?
    B: Do you tie directly to the straps?
    C: How do you get the tarp centered when the tree straps are in the way?
    D: What sort of fancy knots do you all use? (I need pictorials not just the name)
    E: What is the point of a RL?
    F: When using a full length RL how do you then fasten the tarp to it?

Those are just the few off the top of my head.

You can kinda see how I set up my tarp..its for your reference and critique of what I am not doing correctly and what I may be doing correctly.

Thanks.

Ok just found Dejoha tarp pitching article...that help at least place a few ideas in my head....but I would still like to know what you all do do. Man, I can't believe I pulled that newb crap....search first ask later
    Last edited by mugs; 11-09-2010 at 16:30. Reason: I'm a newb moron
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    There are many ways, this is just how I do it but there are many many others. This one just works for me.

I use a full ridgeline that goes from tree to tree. My tarp stays attached to the ridgeline full-time although I can remove it easily.

Use some cord for your tarp ridgeline that does not stretch too much. I use polyester cord from Home Depot, 1/8". I have used paracord in the past but I find it too stretchy. Tie a bowline in one end and clip a small carabiner on it. This end goes around the first tree and clips to itself, 1 end done.

On the other end I use a trucker's hitch The only main difference between my trucker's hitch and the one in the video is, I do mine a lot closer to the second tree. You can get your ridgeline guitar-string tight with this method as the T.H. offers a 3 to 1 mechanical advantage (some say two to one, I dunno) minus friction.

For the tarp, I use prusik knots on the ridgeline, which I clip to my tarp using a micro-carabiner. The loop you use to make the prusik is made of a smaller diameter cord than your ridgeline, with a double-fisherman's knot (sorry, you gotta google that one). The prusiks allow you to slide the tarp back and forth on the ridgeline to the limits of the mini-carabiner on one end, and the truckers hitch on the other... nice.

Good luck... hope this helps, you should get a lot more ideas like figure 9's and such...
    Last edited by Festus Hagen; 11-09-2010 at 16:33.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have some videos .... Tarps start at PART 5
    Maybe that will help.
    Have fun
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Traveller,Speer,BIAS,Hennessy Asym.
    Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images

Knots

I am new at this too, but I found some great resources online about knots. There are websites that have slow motion video tutorials on all kinds of knots. I even downloaded a knot App onto my iPod , " Knot Guide" and now when I have a minute I practice. Knots are sort of a lost skill that we could greatly benefit from learning.
    My 2 cents

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    There a many variables and methods, but here is what I do:

A: Ambiguous question, but...Attached to the tree with Type I paracord or Kelty Triptease.

If you meant when not in use, then I use snakeskins.

B: Never. It just doesn't get as taught.

C: If you tie the knot at the tarp, your cord with form a teardrop shape in which the hammock's suspension can pass through. If you make the knot at the tree you live with it off-center.

D: Just a slippery hitch of the most basic variety and a Figure-9 Carabiner. Try the Siberian/Evenk Hitch.

E: Many reasons, but my full-length ridgeline keeps the tarp very taught and allows me to hang clothes and other items from it. My ridgeline is under the tarp.

F: I have rings on my tarps, so I loop the cord through three times to create friction which keeps the cord from slipping. On the other side I have a Nite-ize Figure-9 Carabiner.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I start with a 30' length of zing-it. This is the ridge line.

I make 4 continuous loops out of the same zing it (16" length - 2" bury on each end - 12" for loop).

I attach these 4 continuous loops to the 30' ridge line using Klemheist knots (For me, the Klemhiest works better than the Prussic). You must be careful in the direction you tie these as they have a directional pull to them.

• Outer loops have figure-9s attached by larks head, then tied onto the ridge line.
    • Inner loops are tied on to the ridge line with nothing attached.

Outer loops are for attaching ridge line to trees.

Inner loops are for attaching tarp to ridge line. I use size-1 S-biners. This allows the tarp to be completely adjustable anywhere along the ridge line so you can get your hammock and tarp centered correctly every time.

I'm going to change out one of the outer loops with the figure-9 for a knot bone if I ever get around to buying some of the knot bones.

This is a lot easier than it sounds...
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I use a one piece 4mm top line (22') with four smaller (reflective) loops fashioned into Prusik knots and the ends loops for the s-biners. The 4mm line goes over my Kelty 12x12 and through the center loop. The ends of the tarp are attached to the other Prusik knots with s-biners. All gets adjusted and snugged up with the Prusiks.

I want to experiment more with the tree end of attachment. Thinking about running the rope ends through the loop on my WBBB adjustable webbing to reduce stuff directly on the trees. Prolly will end up with a smaller diameter top line as well then the 4mm might become a two piece tarp line.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 11-09-2010 at 22:03.

Hammock
    DIY ultralight gathered end
    Tarp
    WB big mambajamba
    Insulation
    stoic somnus bag
    Suspension
    7/64" DIY whoopies
    Images
    i use a simple loop in one end of my continuous rigeline and simply loop the whole line round the tree and though the loop-this makes it tighten around the tree and never "come undone". Then on the other end i use a regular figure 9 ( not a carabiner type) to give the line ample tension. The tarp itself is attached using prussic knots tied to the RL, and a toggle, which i made out of pieces of an old BIC pen tube, and hooks through the D ring on my tarp tie out. Shug's video shows nearly the same method.When dealing with tarp or hammock or whatever suspention, its not about copieing others setups, because it is most likely not the most ideal for your situation. It IS all about taking ideas from others and combining them to get a setup that works for you, it will take time and effort, but once you've got your system down its is glorious!!! keep at it and dont settle for less than what you can do!
    Thanks,
    Dan

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dandeman View Post
    i use a simple loop in one end of my continuous rigeline and simply loop the whole line round the tree and though the loop-this makes it tighten around the tree and never "come undone". Then on the other end i use a regular figure 9 ( not a carabiner type) to give the line ample tension. The tarp itself is attached using prussic knots tied to the RL, and a toggle, which i made out of pieces of an old BIC pen tube, and hooks through the D ring on my tarp tie out. ....
    Thanks,
    Dan
    That's what I do. The loop spliced in at one end is big enough to pass the rest of the RL through when it is still coiled up. This eliminates one piece of hardware such as a Figure 9 or KnotBone. I have to have this end slightly to one side of the hammock suspension but that's fine. And I could always use a carabiner attached to the loop to make it faster but I'd rather not most of the time.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I use a Nite Ize knot bone spliced on to one end of the ridgeline(note: it is not necessary to splice the line onto the knot bone, you can just use the knot bone for bot the end and the connection point, it just makes it easier to splice it on so as not to lose it), and a Nite Ize standard figure 9 on the other end for tensioning just like the single line tarp ridgeline on whoopieslings.com here:

http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Single...-Line-TRL1.htm

Here is a video of how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/user/opie0074#p/u/6/m-Bp1hoQ2I4

I use the same soft shackle prusiks that he sells as well for the tarp connection points.

If done properly, the entire setup should take no more than 30 seconds to set up. It weighs very little, and is very easy to use. The one issue that I have with mine is that I used Aircore PRO Dyneema Cord which seems to tangle fairly easily. Since I certainly do not want to get stuck holding on to a tangled mess in my hands while rain is pouring down on me because I can't get my tarp up, I think that I will most likely switch to a no tangle guy line like this one:

http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse...ine/Detail.bok

Hope this helps. I am still a beginner at this myself, and have a lot to learn, but this certainly is a fairly simple setup, especially if you just purchase the whole darn thing directly from opie at whoopieslings.com.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast