Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Thank you for confusing the heck out of me...I now feel totally lost and confused. But I asked what it is that you do so I guess I deserve it

Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    I start with a 30' length of zing-it. This is the ridge line.

I make 4 continuous loops out of the same zing it (16" length - 2" bury on each end - 12" for loop).

I attach these 4 continuous loops to the 30' ridge line using Klemheist knots (For me, the Klemhiest works better than the Prussic). You must be careful in the direction you tie these as they have a directional pull to them.

• Outer loops have figure-9s attached by larks head, then tied onto the ridge line.
    • Inner loops are tied on to the ridge line with nothing attached.

Outer loops are for attaching ridge line to trees.

Inner loops are for attaching tarp to ridge line. I use size-1 S-biners. This allows the tarp to be completely adjustable anywhere along the ridge line so you can get your hammock and tarp centered correctly every time.

I'm going to change out one of the outer loops with the figure-9 for a knot bone if I ever get around to buying some of the knot bones.

This is a lot easier than it sounds...
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Am I wrong in assuming that splicing and other more exotic means of building a top line is essentially overkill (gram counting stuff) for most? Not that it is wrong or anything but that a newb could get by with much more simple knots etc as the tarp really does not stress the lines like a hammck would. I get the fun of DIY having began my lessons into the wonderful world of knots recently and looking to splicing soon as well.

Take a line of the proper length and tie loops (tie what works for you) on each end. Then tie four Prusik (or Kleinheist) knot loops between the loops. Attach the ends to trees via 'biners to the outside loops and to the tarp to the inside loops with 'biners. Adjust and tighten and yer done. I will add reptile tubes to my tarp and work on making the tie outs simple but there is the word...KISS (keep it simple see?).

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    Am I wrong in assuming that splicing and other more exotic means of building a top line is essentially overkill (gram counting stuff) for most? Not that it is wrong or anything but that a newb could get by with much more simple knots etc as the tarp really does not stress the lines like a hammck would. I get the fun of DIY having began my lessons into the wonderful world of knots recently and looking to splicing soon as well.

Take a line of the proper length and tie loops (tie what works for you) on each end. Then tie four Prusik (or Kleinheist) knot loops between the loops. Attach the ends to trees via 'biners to the outside loops and to the tarp to the inside loops with 'biners. Adjust and tighten and yer done. I will add reptile tubes to my tarp and work on making the tie outs simple but there is the word...KISS (keep it simple see?).
    Yep, it really is that simple.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    I have long lines on my tarps.
    I run the line from the tarp to the tree, maybe once around the tree if I am feeling insecure, then back to the tarp where I tie it off (nearer the tarp than the tree). So if you looked at the tarp line from above it would make the outline of an icecream cone, with the point of the cone at the tarp and the scoop of icecream being the tree.
    This makes a nice open triangle that the tree hugger can pass through.

uh, I did a video somewhere that sort of shows it:
    look between 1:22 and 1:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyKI6HqeTRg
    -Liz -

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mugs go to my profile page and look in albums- Oware Tarp set up. Rectangle 8X10 tarp, tie a mini carabiner to one end of a 25' small diameter line. Wrap around tree, hook in carabiner pull tight to other tree wrap around tie tight. Put Tarp over ridge line and tie each end of tarp to ridge line using Prusik knots, so you can slide the tarp to center over hammock. I then tie the sides down 2' in on each end to create door flaps that can be closed somewhat with a mini carabiner.
    The Older I get, the Faster I use to be.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    A: How do you tie up a tarp? see 1st picture
    B: Do you tie directly to the straps? No
    C: How do you get the tarp centered when the tree straps are in the way?
    Your straps may be too high on the tree. They will be if the trees are really far apart. It's not a show-stopper if the tarp is not centered.
    D: What sort of fancy knots do you all use? (I need pictorials not just the name) Check out the sites mentioned.
    prussik, tautline, marlin spike, bowline, trucker's hitch, larks head, siberian hitch are some that I tend to go to.

E: What is the point of a RL?
    F: When using a full length RL how do you then fasten the tarp to it?
    See second picture

On the far end, I have an S-biner on the end of the rope and wrap the ridgeline around the tree and clip the S-biner to the rope.
    The other end has a figure 9 to adjust the length.

To tie the full length ridgeline to the tarp, I tie a prussik to the ridgeline and the D-ring on the tarp.

He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Thank you guys for all your wonderful and informative responses. So During my studying for my mid terms I have been watching how to videos when I take a break from studying, and getting a better idea of what I want to do/think will work. Then I started practicing with knots using my wife's treadmill as an anchor point I can now tie (with proficiency) a truckers, bowline, prussik, larks head, marlin spike, and Siberian hitch knots. Every time I felt like taking a break I would just walk over there and practice a few.

So here is my no beaner, gizmo, gadget idea I have (yes I am a gram weenie) I am using EZ line but think I will get some TT no tangle or some more Z line for the full length version I want to make. I plan on trying it out in my garage this weekend.

A: Ties bowline to tree...this can be done to a s big as I want to for the magic 'V' around hammock suspension.

B: Go to other tree and tie off using truckers hitch..again as big as I want for the "V"

C: Tie off D rings with already attached Prussik knots.

I already have guy line auto tensioners I made using the DYI forum (did those last week.) Mine are just single line with 6in shock cord and a double fisherman's knot (learned that one too)

In fact I have gotten so motivated I think I am going to order some amsteal and make my own whoopies (green amsteal) and drop the webbing suspension, maybe try a few other things as well.

Again thanks for everything, and all the advise....of course I am not telling everyone to stop posting just saying thanks...keep the ideas coming (if you want)
    Last edited by mugs; 11-11-2010 at 14:47.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season, HG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    There are many ways, this is just how I do it but there are many many others. This one just works for me.
    ....snip.....
    Good luck... hope this helps, you should get a lot more ideas like figure 9's and such...
    I learned a lot from this description. Thanks!
    HF is rather hard to digest for the newb trying to gather basic information about knot types, suspension techniques, and materials for DIY. These kinds of FAQ-type writeups are golden.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Chinook 14X12
    Insulation
    KAQ w/ deep winter
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I like the way shug does it with the toggles on prusik knots, just makes sense to me!! That is how I plan on doing my tarp RL.

Tbull

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Mugs, you are WELL on your way.
    You just went to the head of the class.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12