Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Tarp tensioners

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    cold weather hammocking, may put rubber tensioners beyond their limit.
    see my experiences in this thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2244

never heard of this type of failure. But I had 6 JRB tarp tensioners, on 2 different tarps, fail all on the same night, in temps of -20 F. Further study should be done on this matter.

Also thanks for all the alternative tips on this thread. I will certainly be using some ideas shown here. Great help.
    Last edited by turk; 01-23-2008 at 20:16.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Mine went to 10* this morning with no problem. I set my new cat tarp up to seal it, but then it started raining and then it started freezing. So, I just left my tarp up all night and this morning it was 10*F. I still have it up because it didn't thaw today, and I still haven't sealed it. The latex tensioners are working fine.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Mine have seen subzero temps with a snow load and held. They are Therabands. However, when I was testing the 'blue' Therabands one of two failed in single digit temps.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    be careful of cold temps, some of the tubing loses its elasticity at cold temps, I had a slingshot band that was like this (I think it was latex rubber, but I'm can't remember for sure). After that, I throw them in the freezer and then check them after a couple hours, before I use them to make tarp tensioners. (Theraband's pass with flying colors).
    Note to all,

The Tubing on the JRB STLs is Theraband....So Turks -20* and 25 knot wind issues apply to Theraband as well.

We have sent a note to Turk expanding discussions on his STL experiance... There are some issues that do not track against STL's physical design.... Since there is only 9-10 inches of line inside the Theraband, it is limited to that same 9-10 length.... So the reported 17 inch stretch is either an incorrect estimate, or the line broke inside, or the nylon line experianced 70 percent stretch over a short distance (not very likely).

By design, unless a line breaks (As one did for Jeff last year), failure will degrade to a fixed line and can be corrected for in the field by traditional periodic adjustments when a taut line hitch is used.

Will keep you posted as we learn more.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    This wouldn't account for them staying stretched until they were unthawed.

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    did not have a chance to report back, before work this morning. After catching pans note, I went down to my tangled mess of a tent to search out the specific tensioner that I reported a 17" expansion. (This being the right-hand, stove end tensioner, that provides support for the chimney pipe exiting the roof)
    The reported measurement was an accurate measure. (using the edge of a compass), though not with great precision. Allow say 1/2" deviation at worse.

And sure enough it is snapped right on the knot. Upon further investigation of a few of the other tensioners, I seem to be missing several of the micro zip ties that lie underneath the folder over section of the rubber. If I pull hard, I can slip the knots through the rubber. I did not try pulling this hard earlier. In truth, I have not even put away any of my gear yet from the weekend just too busy.

Will follow up with pics this evening. Will also recreate the scenario in the backyard this week so you can see the problem first hand.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    did not have a chance to report back, before work this morning. After catching pans note, I went down to my tangled mess of a tent to search out the specific tensioner that I reported a 17" expansion. (This being the right-hand, stove end tensioner, that provides support for the chimney pipe exiting the roof)
    The reported measurement was an accurate measure. (using the edge of a compass), though not with great precision. Allow say 1/2" deviation at worse.

And sure enough it is snapped right on the knot. Upon further investigation of a few of the other tensioners, I seem to be missing several of the micro zip ties that lie underneath the folder over section of the rubber. If I pull hard, I can slip the knots through the rubber. I did not try pulling this hard earlier. In truth, I have not even put away any of my gear yet from the weekend just too busy.

Will follow up with pics this evening. Will also recreate the scenario in the backyard this week so you can see the problem first hand.
    Turk,

Thanks for the interum info....

More follow up for all,

Ok.... lets review a point here .... STLs are made of an unrated line.... probably about 100-150 pounds of breaking strength.... By design you want any tarp/ tent line to fail before the tarp or tent fails...

The STL on the stove pipe (not a recommended use) probably broke from heat degridation or wind force or both.... cold was probably not the culpret...This scenario would be supported if none of the other six STL lines broke. Turk, can you check the other STL for actual broken line?

Separate but related case in point is that the STL on the 8x8 held and the tarp material tore....Turk, Can you provide any additional details on the pitch of the tarp, wind estimates, and if the intermediate side tie out points of the tarp were also in use.

FTR, Turk will be sending the 8x8 tarp back for a warranty replacement after his trip.

Again, Will keep you posted as more info emerges.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    I have a question what type of knot is being tied in the guy line under the tubing tensioner. A simple overhand knot can reduce the breaking strength of a line by almost 50%. I'm not sure wich not is being used as I don't own these type of tensioners. But, my sugestion would be to switch to a figure eight not if it's not already being used. A figure 8 would reduce the strength of the line by around 25%.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I think that it also needs to be mentioned that the Theraband and the latex rubber tubing that is being used on these tensioners was not designed to be used in extremely low temps of -20. There have also been reports of the tensioners freezing in place. I know it happened to a couple of people at the last Mt. Roger's hang out.

I never had failure of my latex tensioners, but I stopped using them a long time ago because of the added weight. The shock cord tensioners that I use now work very well and are quite a bit lighter.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    I have a question what type of knot is being tied in the guy line under the tubing tensioner. A simple overhand knot can reduce the breaking strength of a line by almost 50%. I'm not sure wich not is being used as I don't own these type of tensioners. But, my sugestion would be to switch to a figure eight not if it's not already being used. A figure 8 would reduce the strength of the line by around 25%.
    i think i remember seeing data that showed strength reduction of a fig 8 being alot closer to the 50% reduction like the overhand has. just curious where you got that figure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast