Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images

Red River Gorge Thanksgiving Hang AGENDA

It Is Official

Red River Gorge Hang
    November 26th-27th-28th

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night one Friday - We will be camping at the Koomer Ridge Campground. See map. There are fire pits and they are allowed in them at the campground. We can get wood at the Shell Station off of the Slade Exit when you get you pass. When you pull in you will see a bulliten board to your right, You will need to stop there after you find your spot, there should some HF signs, and place your payment in the drop box.

Day Two - We will be hiking in and camping at the Poochie Falls area, just off of Swift Camp Creek Trail, North of the Rock Bridge Area, See Below.

Link to the Map of the area, see South East Corner

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/documents/maps/rrg.pdf

Poochie Falls Area Is Between Wildcat Trail, And The Souther Tip Of Swift Camp Creek Trail. The entire trail is 6.7 miles, So we are looking at hiking in 2.5 - 3.0 Miles

You Will Pass Poochie Falls To Your RIGHT Heading North, There is a spot to climb down around 200 ft. south of the falls. When you cross the creek head up the creek to your left, there will be an area to hang, and a few tent sites as well. To the right is the falls IMMEDIATELY. BE Carefull

Things to keep in mind.

Dress Warm, The temps can drop quickly in the gorge. Bring Extra because as it stands now there is a fire ban.

Hiking in the Gorge is Strenous, Pace yourself, and bring plenty of water.

There should be water available at the hang spot, or just south of the falls. You will have to climb down to get to the spot under the falls so be prepared. Also as always be prepared if the creeks are dry. I have been informed that Swift Camp Creek is not however right now.

Before you park, go to the Slade Shell Station Just off of the exit. Get a 3 day pass and fill it out. Make sure this is visible in your car (suggest on the dash). They are 6 dollars and maps are available there as well, but probably not necesarry for this trip. The PDF is more then adequate and I am sure a few of us will have the maps they sell anyway.

There is no Alcohol in the Gorge. This is a State Law. They do enforce it and would be especially warry because we are in a group. They are a lot of young and old alike that use the Gorge as a party site and they have been handing out quite a few tickets for alcohol.

There are many cliffs in the Gorge and at least 2 deaths a year. Be aware of your surroundings. The Gorge is beautiful so enjoy safely.

For this hang there will be no raffle, no pitch in, but I am certain that we would enjoy anything that was givin to share.

There was recently a Bear Attack in the Gorge. They did not kill the bear, Be sure to practice good saftey and be prepared to Bear Bag your food. There is an order now that it is a rule to bear bag or use a canister.

Number one rule lets enjoy this wonderful time of year with our fellow hangers.

Thank you all for participating.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 11-22-2010 at 10:06. Reason: OP's Request
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    So far, a few Michiganders are making the journey:
    Myself (dblcorona)
    Bloomgorge
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Not readily visible on the map above, but there are TWO paths to the rock bridge, one that you see first when pulling into the parking lot, & one across the road from the Privy. EDIT: This trail is NOT on your left, it will be on your RIGHT as you pass the first parking area! Sorry!! The one by the privy is the shorter one for us. The other goes past Creation falls & the rock bridge. Neither trail is terribly difficult.

Trl #1: go past the falls & Rock Bridge, continue up the partially paved trail, soon you will come to a Y, the left goes up steps cut in the rock, the one you want is to the RIGHT & is wholly unpaved.

Trl #2 (by the privy): when you get to the bottom of a set of steps (the second set I think) the trail comes to a Y, to the Right is Rock bridge then Creation Falls. To Poochies Falls go Left.

There are usually signs, but not always!

Poochies Falls stream has a small trail along it thru a rhododendron "H**l" IF I remember it is the only one that is not right in a narrow valley & that has "Obvious" access to the Left. To the right & DOWN as Dirt says, is a LARGE open area with a rock house, there is a trail about 30' before the stream leading sort of down to the open area, when I was there last year someone had a rope to assist climbing down & up, but that was over a year ago so, , , , , ,

NOTE: Please Read & Heed, if it is below 32, & there is water in the creeks that cross the trail, there may be ice, many of the small side streams drop off a steep cliff a few feet from the trail.
    Last edited by Doctari; 11-12-2010 at 10:53.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DD FrontLine
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Stock
    I'm good for one night at least.

No area for a campfire????

What is the arrival time for ya'll? I could probably make it to the parking area by 5pm or so on Friday. I think I should have time to get to the site by dark.

Is this a reasonably secure parking area?? Anyone have any theft or vandalism reports from here? (I have a spiffy new 2011 ride, and confess to being somewhat paranoid!)

I did an adv race in the RRG area last Saturday. It snowed like mad out on the ridgelines Friday night (no accumulation though), and the temp Sat am was 24. We could catch some cold weather this time.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    so we'll all be in bed by 5:30

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PRKy View Post
    I'm good for one night at least.

No area for a campfire????

What is the arrival time for ya'll? I could probably make it to the parking area by 5pm or so on Friday. I think I should have time to get to the site by dark.

Is this a reasonably secure parking area?? Anyone have any theft or vandalism reports from here? (I have a spiffy new 2011 ride, and confess to being somewhat paranoid!)

I did an adv race in the RRG area last Saturday. It snowed like mad out on the ridgelines Friday night (no accumulation though), and the temp Sat am was 24. We could catch some cold weather this time.
    Prky : The only area for a campfire would be Koomer. Doc posted a poll of sorts to see who would come and what they would want. Myself and doc were the only ones who posted and voted Poochies. The event is now 14 days away and for those coming in from out of state I wanted to give ample time to plan. If this is not going to work for some now is the time to bring it up... Koomer is 6 or 7 dollars a night and will have ample room I am sure.

I will be there by noon at the latest on Friday.

I do not know how secure the area is for parking, but have left my vehicle there with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    so we'll all be in bed by 5:30
    With the fire ban and it getting dark I am sure some would stay up but most would retire early ... Once again now is the time to bring it up if you would rather stay at the campground where there is a fire.

Thanks "dirt"
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    I'd like a central fire (in fact, that was the choice that got most of the votes in the poll), but could do without also. I am still planning to come with my wife and 1 friend. I think member golite is thinking about coming also.

If there is a fire ban, I assume the bushbuddy is out also, but will alcohol stoves like the Trangia be allowed?
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    I'd like a central fire (in fact, that was the choice that got most of the votes in the poll), but could do without also. I am still planning to come with my wife and 1 friend. I think member golite is thinking about coming also.

If there is a fire ban, I assume the bushbuddy is out also, but will alcohol stoves like the Trangia be allowed?
    Yes it did get the most votes, but when the fires started it seemed to me that more people wanted to backpack even if no fire was to be had.

We can always change this. I am up for whatever the majority wants.

Canister stoves, and I am sure our alky stoves are fine. Bush Buddy is out. At the campground we woudl be able to use the fire pits, tables, and have regular camping stoves too.. All are allowed.

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I'm definitley interested, but haven't figured out all the family requirements for the T-giving weekend...so that would make me a maybe. I'm good with either option, but a fire on a cold night always sounds good. Even with the current trail closures and fire ban, there are still a lot of good trails to explore on day hikes.

Hope I can make it!
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I'm looking forward to the hike in. Get to try out my new mariposa. We could all huddle around a pile of headlamps.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast