Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Intermediate hanging point

I have had an idea for some time about how to hang when you only have one hanging point or your trees are too far apart. See the attached (crude) image. The black poles indicate a carbon fiber poles arrangment, about 6' in lenght.

I am looking into having these made for me, but I want to flesh out some of the details here before I contact a manufacturer. My first question for the gang is how strong would these poles need to be? Or more specifically, what is the actual force on these poles. Would it be the same if the suspension was at the indicated angle to a ground attachment point vs attaching a line perpendicular the ground to another tree further away?

Hope this is clear to everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    You could probably use 1 2x4 with lines going out for stabilization similar to http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ighlight=stand . You could also toy with some of the set-ups that let you have a longer distance between trees.

Hammock
    Switchback Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Crowsnest (soon)
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    You could probably use 1 2x4 with lines going out for stabilization similar to http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ighlight=stand . You could also toy with some of the set-ups that let you have a longer distance between trees.
    I'd rather not have to carry a 2x4 on the trail... I do like the carbon pole idea though... and if you could use your trekking poles for the job, that would be worth designing some for, especially for places like Texas where trees are sometimes sparse.

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy PolyD DBL
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I wouldn't hike with a 2x4, but you could probably get away with testing the idea with a 2x4 instead of ordering carbon fiber, only to find out the idea didn't work.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswift View Post
    I'd rather not have to carry a 2x4 on the trail... I do like the carbon pole idea though... and if you could use your trekking poles for the job, that would be worth designing some for, especially for places like Texas where trees are sometimes sparse.
    I know some use trekking poles to create a tarp awning, but I'd be extremely surprised if they would hold weight. If memory serves a 30 degree angle has roughly equal load to weight on the horizontal and about half on the vertical. Most of the poles are rated to 50ish# max I think (don't use them) which would be nowhere close to enough to hold an "average" adult. Would have to have someone put weight on theirs and see when it slips and/or breaks but that could end up being an expensive test.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I wasn't looking at a trekking pole but at a pole which was custom ordered for the purpose, hence my interest in working loads...
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I've been toying with a similar idea for river trips using oars. I use composite oars, Cataract brand, made in Salt Lake City by Advanced Composites. We use this thing called an Oars Up to make a tripod out of the oars. It's a welded triple ring that you stick the three oar handles into, then spread the oars to make the tripod. So far we've only used it to support sun showers and gravity water filters, but I was thinking it might work as an alternative hammock support. They are very strong oars, but I'm not sure if they can support that much weight. I'm checking with Advanced Composites to see what they think. I've attached a picture of how we configured the oars against a rock face to hang showers on a recent trip. It would be nice to use a piece of gear that I already have as a hammock support, but I don't want to damage my oars.
    KJ

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I found more pictures of the oars in a tripod configuration, set up as a shower stall.

KJ

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The vertical load on your braces would be: (2)(weight)sin30

That works out to be equal to whatever the weight is, so a 200# person would exert 200# on the braces. Of course that's static load and no safety factor. You'd probably want them designed to support at least 1000#.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    The vertical load on your braces would be: (2)(weight)sin30

That works out to be equal to whatever the weight is, so a 200# person would exert 200# on the braces. Of course that's static load and no safety factor. You'd probably want them designed to support at least 1000#.
    My math may be off, but isn't that supposed to be about double the weight? I did a 2*200*(sin 30) and came up with 395lbs. That doesn't make sense to me, though- how your weight would double with a strictly vertical load. I'd still shoot for the 1000#, just in case the brace got moved off plumb....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast