Hammock
    "Sherman" dyi DL digital camo
    Tarp
    dyi 12x12
    Insulation
    dyi tc ccf
    Suspension
    7/64 amstell blue
    Today was the worst day to test under insulation 55 sunny and no wind O well I won't complain Any way taken another pic of it in my hammock. Its really comfy and warm from what I found out today. Can't wait too by more ccf pads 1/4 inch would be great.1111101637[1].jpg
    If you can't duck it then use more duct tape!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Rub it in John.
    Ok, it hit 100 degrees here one day last week...

Of course, us crazy Southern Californians go LOOKING for snow when the mountains get some...

That pad does look comfy... maybe make a fabric pocket for it?
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Tarp
    dyi 12x12
    Insulation
    dyi tc ccf
    Suspension
    7/64 amstell blue
    I got a chance to use this pad over the weekend. It worked great! The temps dipped into the upper 30's and I never got cold with just a sheet of reflectex on bottom then this pad over it. I wore a fleece pull over, cotton long johns, wool socks and a stocking cap.
    I would advise anyone too try this. In my openion its better than just a standard ccf in Comfort (you can even lay it in a folding camp chair), Size( you can costomize it in any size you need), Warmth (its twice as thick in most spots) and Breathabilty.
    There's lots of ways to improve this techique. It's also very cheap mod just sissors, tape and a ww ccf.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Jim: Thanks for the report. My kids don't have UQ's yet, I might have to give this a try... WW CCF pads are really cheap...

Looks to me that the reflectix is really what's keeping the warmth in, any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Rub it in John.

I've got some thin foam that was a protective envelope around a new computer monitor while in the shipping box, and was thinking of just laying it as an additional layer between the UQ and hammock. Will have to see how this weaving technique works for others... as mine is just barely big enough to cover my mid-torso. Not big enough to really experiment with.

Just read your post again: That ultra-thin foam is the same stuff used in Insultex, but probably thicker. Insultex is also quilted to 2 layers of polyester scrim for strength.

The downside to what you have is it doesn't breathe. I have a bigger piece my daughter's new Casio KB came in. I'm contemplating making some tiny holes in it so it would breathe, but i'm not sure... (maybe pull out a quilting foot for the sewing machine and forget the thread...)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I tried drilling holes in my ccf pad, and it really does help alot with condensation. It also seemed to make the pad more flexible, so it fits in the hammock better. (its no substitute for good quality goose down, but its alot better than a sweaty back with a regular ccf pad!) I drilled /cut out 3/8 in holes about every 8 inches or so.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Tarp
    dyi 12x12
    Insulation
    dyi tc ccf
    Suspension
    7/64 amstell blue
    Yeah the reflextex is holding alot of heat in is true but the weaved ccf also causes an air gap which helps the reflectex work better. Plus upper 30's F. Is close to as cold as I have ever went and I feel it can go cooler. My hammock is a double layer btw.

Hammock
    Tarp
    dyi 12x12
    Insulation
    dyi tc ccf
    Suspension
    7/64 amstell blue
    I don't know if its my size that causes it but a reguler ccf gets hard under my weight(340) and causes a sore hip in morning.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
    Yeah the reflextex is holding alot of heat in is true but the weaved ccf also causes an air gap which helps the reflectex work better. Plus upper 30's F. Is close to as cold as I have ever went and I feel it can go cooler. My hammock is a double layer btw.

30's? Can't complain about that. Did you sleep ON the pad, or put it in between layers. Did you find it to be wide enough?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
    I don't know if its my size that causes it but a reguler ccf gets hard under my weight(340) and causes a sore hip in morning.
    Since you mentioned a sore hip, are you sleeping on your side? I haven't found a comfortable side-position in my hammock, but that could be due to the fact that it's 1.1 single layer, and I'm 220lbs... As soon as the funds are released (Daughter going on a trip to Au$tralia) I'll get some more 1.1 from backwoodsdaydreamer and make a double. Either that, or Santa might bring me a WBBB! (I hope...)

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Digging up an old thread here. I recalled reading this some time ago and thinking it was a great idea to lattice/weave the ccf for improved breathability and better insulation. I'm real curious how the tests turned out and if anyone has tried reproducing it. If so what were the results?

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    What a neat idea, this may solve some of the condensation problems as well!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast