"Sherman" dyi DL digital camo
    Tarp
    dyi 12x12
    Insulation
    dyi tc ccf
    Suspension
    7/64 amstell blue

Lattice CCF

My thread injector broke so I'm ancy too do some Improving on my winter hanging experince. I personaly never really liked sleeping on a ccf in my dl hammock I always oke up with a sore hip. But always loved the warmth. So I messed with latticing (if thats a word) strips of ccf pad from WW. Taping the ends togather. Have not got to try it in hammock yet but was surprisingly comfy on ground. I winged this one together nothing is cut strait but It's a prototype. I'm thinking of covering with ripstop. I like how flexable it is also.1110102207[1].jpg. Its 27" by 42" I was shooting for 2/3 length.
    If you can't duck it then use more duct tape!

Hammock
    Tarp
    dyi 12x12
    Insulation
    dyi tc ccf
    Suspension
    7/64 amstell blue
    I just went out after posting this thread and setup my hammock and placed my new pad between the layers. This thing is comfy the lattice gives this pad some spring and makes it flexable enough to conform to the hammock with out buckling. It just started to warm up before I had to come back in and report back.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Thats some excellent handy work! And I bet it breathes a little better than straight up CCF pad would. Wrapped in breathable ripstop or not, I think you've got something good there.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Wow, that looks like some fancy work. You might be able to get the same effect (breathability) by just drilling a whole bunch of small holes. Let us know how your tests proceed.

Hammock
    Tarp
    dyi 12x12
    Insulation
    dyi tc ccf
    Suspension
    7/64 amstell blue
    The thing I hate about a ccf pad is about 3 am. I feel like I'm laying on a peice of ply wood. This thing is real springy because of the weave. And maybe flexable enough to hang under hammock as under quilt. I just kinda through it togather I want to make another 50x35 with 2" evenstrips. Another thought I had about this weaved pad is a sleeping bag may loft alittle bit under you(because of the weave). And a peice of refletex on the bottom side will give you a air gap too. The lattice pad is warm as is though. Heading to deer camp this weekend will be sleeping in it for aleast two nights. Will give feed back.
    Last edited by BigJim; 11-11-2010 at 11:07. Reason: added deer camp part

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Very nice. I'm going to try this with a thin evazote pad (formerly the outer shell for an Exped air matress). I was going to modify this pad just by putting darts around the edge like an underquilt, but I like the flexibility the weave would provide. Will try to retain the shaping that darts would give by tapering the ends of the strips.

How about a summer-weight version with ccf for the longitudinal strips and nylon for the cross strips? Could taper those strips, too.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Very interesting idea. A follow-on to this:

I have some PE Foam (Ok, it's laminate floor foam underlayment) it's .1" thick, and amazingly light. In a hammock, it has the same buckling issue as a CCF pad, but not as bad... I might try the weaving trick and see how it goes...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Very interesting idea. A follow-on to this:

I have some PE Foam (Ok, it's laminate floor foam underlayment) it's .1" thick, and amazingly light. In a hammock, it has the same buckling issue as a CCF pad, but not as bad... I might try the weaving trick and see how it goes...
    I've been sitting a half a roll of this same stuff since installing Ikea flooring in our bedroom. I was thinking the same thing. Mac experimented with this, but abandoned the idea.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    I've been sitting a half a roll of this same stuff since installing Ikea flooring in our bedroom. I was thinking the same thing. Mac experimented with this, but abandoned the idea.
    Mac's experiments in this space, I think, were more geared toward UQ/TQ use... My daughter hung for an hour or so laying on a piece of this stuff with a poncho liner blanket on top. It was 55 degrees or so and she stayed toasty.

I'm considering this plus a fleece liner might make a passable 1.5 San Diego Season pad... It never really gets cold here...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    It never really gets cold here...
    Rub it in John.

I've got some thin foam that was a protective envelope around a new computer monitor while in the shipping box, and was thinking of just laying it as an additional layer between the UQ and hammock. Will have to see how this weaving technique works for others... as mine is just barely big enough to cover my mid-torso. Not big enough to really experiment with.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast