Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images

A question on integrated vs. external bug netting

I am sorry if this has been covered already, but my searches were unsuccessful, so here it goes.

Do y'all prefer integrated bugnetting like in the HH, or something more like the ENO Guardian ?

I know that the Guardian is pretty darn heavy (weighing in at 16 ounces), but does the integrated netting work? I just took a trip out with no netting into the bayou of Louisiana (where I'm living now). Now, I swear that Louisiana has mosquitos the size of small dogs, but they definitely bit me through my hammock and the pair of boxer briefs I was wearing .

Do y'all treat your hammock with anything to prevent this if you have integrated netting, or are the bugs just less vicious there?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Some people treat their hammocks with permethrin. Other hammocks like the Warbonnet Blackbird and Traveler have double layer models which help prevent getting bitten. The separate bugnets are handy if you want to be able to use your hammock with or without the netting depending on the weather or time of year.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Permethrin thread

I treat and have never had a problem; but I don't live in Louisiana either. If I had to chose on netting it would be something like the ENO Guardian, or warbonnets bug net @ only 7.5 ounces. Of course as odds said, a WBBB dbl would proly fix ya right up as well.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I think the consensus is to treat the bugnet and hammock with Pemethrin. Once dried, it is relatively harmless. This is the chemical they use in bug repellant clothing. It's also safe for use on pets. You can find it in the camping section of walmart in name brand formulas.

I purchase it at the local feed and seed in concentrated form and use it around the house to control pests as well. There are various concentrations.

Although I live in GA and have lots of bugs here as well, I prefer a separate bugnet because I remove it in the winter. I also like the ability to adjust my UQ while in the hammock without trying to do it while locked inside like you are with an integrated hammock and bugnet.

I have the ENO net and it is very well made and heavy. It's also tough to hang and position a UQ inside the net because of the zipper. I rarely use it. I use one very similar to the one in the link below but I used bugnet material instead of tulle. Tulle is a pain to work with and not very durable. I think a bunch of folks were working on this at the same time, which I think stemmed from Just Jeff's bug sock and hammock sock.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=21153

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I gave this subject a bit of thought recently. I have a Trek Light hammock, which is your basic gathered end hammock. I like the hammock, and most of the time use it on river trips where mosquitos aren't a problem. But once a year we do an early summer trip on the Green River thru Desolation Canyon which has truly horrendous mosquitos & no-seeums. I also like to read in my hammock before going to sleep, and get annoyed by the little flying bugs & moths that are attracted to my headlamp. I wasn't sure that I wanted to put on & take off a large bug net every time I set up. Some nets have either a vertical or horizontal zipper and some are just big net socks that you slide back to get out. Another feature I liked about the all in one hammock with net, is that it will help contain my sleeping bags that I use as top quilts.
    So now I have a WBBB on order. You might want to do a search and look at the thread about the HUG, a DYI partial bugnet. Another option.
    KJ

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    +1 for separate bug netting.

I've used built-in and separate bug netting and I'm working on testing a new half bug net (HUG) because I'm a gram weenie and I like to exit quickly from a hammock when necessary (usually when I backpack with my kids who often need middle-of-the-night attention. Getting stuck inside a bug net has been frustrating!

I also like separate bug netting because I can leave it at home if/when I don't need it. The HUG net is a new experiment, thinking of the hammock as a complete system and using the different pieces as integral parts of bug protection.

Hammock
    Switchback Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Crowsnest (soon)
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I like to have a hammock with integrated netting for all but the winter season. In the winter, I'll just use a different hammock without netting. The Switchback hammock allows you to roll your netting up above you like a tarp in snakeskins, so you can easily exit fast on either side when not in use. I really am liking my Switchback.

+1 - external net

I love modularity

in another thread you are trying to conserve your money...aren't we all...good luck with that in this forum

I have a military bugnet that (i think) goes with the military pup tents, I got for $18 at a surplus store

rjcress is using the same thing...but just drapes over the rigeline

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23915
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=24127

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Separate bug net here. Because of all the points that Nacra made.

Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    It's also safe for use on pets.
    Permethrin is not safe for all pets. It is toxic, potentially lethal, for cats and fish.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Separate bug net here. Because of all the points that Nacra made.

Permethrin is not safe for all pets. It is toxic, potentially lethal, for cats and fish.
    Addendum: It is very toxic to cats and fish in liquid form.

Once my clothing is dry, my cat has rubbed, lain on, sat on etc. and not yet developed so much as a skin rash. I think she'd be dead by now if it were toxic once dry and bonded to fabric.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast