Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saggy UQ

Images

Saggy UQ

So I have an old RayWay kit-made quilt that I never use, and I got Mom to cut it up and add grosgrain channels to the size of my Crow's Nest UQ. I got it strung up last night and was nice and toasty at my shoulders and thighs but was cold around my butt and back. It was hanging down pretty far.

I think this is because of the lack of pleats to take up the extra material. Also I think Mom left it a few inches too wide Anyway, can you recommend an easy way (preferrably a no-sew way) to fix this?

--Matt

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    shock cord loops on each corner? maybe with a toggle/cordlock for adjustability? I made one of (JustJeff's?) under-covers that minimizes the sag of anything hung up under the hammock..KM

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Check out the "Triangle Thingies" that pgibson sells. It's basically a triangle of cloth that lays over your ridgeline, and has attachment points for your UQ, keeping it snugged up. It may help in your situation, or you may be able to translate that idea into something you could rig up yourself.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Lack of proper suspension, more like. Underquilts do not all have pleats. If you're using shock cord already, consider that the Ray Way is heavy stuff - you may need to add a length of cord over the ridgeline or the abovementioned triangle thingies.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    or some office clips to hold the edges (hammock/quilt) together? I am guessing you have the gathered ends? ( to make a good seal)

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quilts don't have to have pleats A rectangular quilt just needs a way of cinching up the ends. For example, a Jacks-r-Better Nest is a 78"x48" rectangle and they recommend that the line and cord locks be used to scrunch the ends down to about 15".

You may need to use a heavier duty shock cord that stretches less. Also, just attaching at the four corners will reduce the amount of stretch in the shock cord and may keep you from having to go out and get heavier stuff (the longer a spring is, the more it will stretch with a given load).
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Knotty has a good point. Maybe you could have a drawstring put in, so that you could cinch it up.

You still need to account for the weight of the quilt, so the other fix methods mentioned above are still in play.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Thanks for all of the replies. I think that maybe the width is a bit wide for the length of shock cord that suspends it on its sides. I made it to match the Crow's Nest, so maybe shortening it (tightening it) will pull the sides up higher reducing the gap beneath. I'll give that a try.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

Cinch your ends

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Quilts don't have to have pleats A rectangular quilt just needs a way of cinching up the ends. For example, a Jacks-r-Better Nest is a 78"x48" rectangle and they recommend that the line and cord locks be used to scrunch the ends down to about 15".

You may need to use a heavier duty shock cord that stretches less. Also, just attaching at the four corners will reduce the amount of stretch in the shock cord and may keep you from having to go out and get heavier stuff (the longer a spring is, the more it will stretch with a given load).
    I also think you should cinch the ends to close up the gaps like on the JRB quilts. Picture here of cinched end. You can see the JRB suspension, but then you see how they run cord on end of the quilt and cinch it to close the end to prevent air gaps.

If you still have cold butt and back, tighten up the total suspension and see how that works.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 11-13-2010 at 17:23.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    I also think you should cinch the ends to close up the gaps like on the JRB quilts. Picture here of cinched end. You can see the JRB suspension, but then you see how they run cord on end of the quilt and cinch it to close the end to prevent air gaps.

If you still have cold butt and back, tighten up the total suspension and see how that works.
    I've already cinched the ends. Thanks for the pic though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast