Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used to sleep in a net hammock like they sell at the BX/PX on military bases...the cords were about the size of 550 cord inner core...it would certainly be much lighter, and you'd use about 1/7th of the 550 cord by using the cores. And it would still be strong enough.

The only real problem I had with it was that since the cord was so thin, it would snag on anything I was wearing, like the corner of BDU pockets. And god-forbid it snagged a button...then I was stuck there until I could unbutton myself! But I got several years use out of it.

I think making an entire hammock out of 550 cord would be heavy and overkill...and kind of a waste of of 550 cord b/c you don't need anything nearly that strong. But if you already have the 550 cord then you might as well use it for something!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Well the inner braid on the paracord has got to be reasonably strong. I'm going to try using the inner with a tight weave.

It takes some effort unsheathing the inner braid tho! Tried splitting the outer with a knife/scissors but it doesn't work so I've just been pulling it out by hand, takes a while as it bunchs out.

Each length I have is ~30ft long, and I have 15 sections. That gives me 105 lengths of inner cord, so if I were to space each length an inch apart it'd give me a hammock 2.6m long, not really long enough, so I think I'll space them just over an inch to get the length just over 3m.

Just need to unsheath the rest of this cord....

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looking forward to the pics!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Should have a day off this week so I'll get the bulk of it done then

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Net hammocks get built from cotton rope that's much weaker than paracord, so there shouldn't be any problems (just don't use it as the suspension line to the trees). If anything, paracord might produce a pretty heavy hammock. You could even consider gutting it but that would take a lot of effort.
    Why would you not use 550 cord for the suspension line? Reason i ask is i have some and was thinking of using it for that.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    550lbs just isn't enough strength for hammock applications. May work sometimes but risk of it snapping some other time is too high.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by RBrown View Post
    Why would you not use 550 cord for the suspension line? Reason i ask is i have some and was thinking of using it for that.
    First reason is it is nylon and stretches a lot, second is it is not really considered to be rated strong enough and a number of folks have had it break on them. There are alternatives that are much stronger, lighter, and just as small or smaller in size.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    First reason is it is nylon and stretches a lot, second is it is not really considered to be rated strong enough and a number of folks have had it break on them. There are alternatives that are much stronger, lighter, and just as small or smaller in size.
    Gotcha thanks for the info

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Well, I'm getting on slowly. I've realised its' very time consuming working with the fine inner braid - no-tangle this stuff most certainly isn't I made the mistake of splitting all the lengths at the same time, tying each bundle up, in the house then moving the bundles out. Problem is this cord tangles so easy when I went to undo the bundles if I didn't do it carefully it'd just knot itself right up. If I were to do it again I'd split and rig each length of paracord at a time.

Another difference is I'd square off all the pieces to be the same length before I started cutting. Because this stuff is cut straight from parachutes some bits are longer than others.

I've got all of it split and laid over the 'ridge' line, to my reckoning 100 lengths, approx 3 cm apart. Started knotting the cords today and from the length of each inner braid I've got it'll be able to be a wideboy hammock. Going to stop around 70 inchs I think.

Even knotting the sections the lines will twist together and snag if you aren't careful so its' slow but pleasant work But I believe the most time consuming part is over with and things should speed up now.

Once I've finished the netting I'm just going to try and rig it like a normal gathered end hammock using 3mm Dyneema to wrap the ends (which is just what I happen to have laying about, snip a bit off my tarp ridgeline), which is rated 370kg (815lb), and I have some spare 1" webbing which I'll make two tree straps from and connect the two with marlen spike hitchs.

Hopefully I'll get the rest done this weekend

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm one of the guys who's had 550 break when using it as suspension. Twice. Not worth the risk, IMO.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast