Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    If you have a thin evazote pad, those tend to be less intrusive in a double layered hammock. JRB has the 26X40X0.25 ones for under 10 bucks. It should add at least 10-13 degrees from your shoulders to your upper thighs. They also work great as a sit pad, fan, pack frame or a torso pad for cowboy camping. I've used an evazote pad by itself down to 60°...and it floats.

BTW, you're lucky that your down stays so dry by the river. The humidity here in the southeast is not so forgiving. It generally takes some effort to keep down dry or have time to dry it once the monsoons kick in.
    Last edited by wisenber; 11-14-2010 at 00:29.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Yep, it's definitely drier out here.There is one particular camp on the Middle Fork Salmon that I always have problems with dew. I've resisted putting up my tent for years as it was always sunny & warm during the day. But I always woke up with a damp down bag. This summer I had the hammock & tarp, and was waiting to see what happened. Yipee. Woke up dry as a bone. Not sure why this camp is always moist at night, maybe it's a topography thing?
    BTW, I was born & raised in Florida, so living without humidity is awesome.
    I was hoping to find someone who has the Summer Incubator to see what they thought for it's temp range. Looks like most folks have the 3 Season for year round use.
    KJ

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Catraftgirl... Heres a picture comparison of the UQ's I have in the stuff sacks they came with... ENO hammock on left used for scale. White one is the full length IX UQ, Black is the full length 4s incubator, red is the full length 3s New river with an IX insert. Note: if you wanted to make them smaller, you could compress the incubator and new river a little bit more, but basically thats what they look like in the bags they came with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo63 View Post
    Catraftgirl... Heres a picture comparison of the UQ's I have in the stuff sacks they came with... ENO hammock on left used for scale. White one is the full length IX UQ, Black is the full length 4s incubator, red is the full length 3s New river with an IX insert. Note: if you wanted to make them smaller, you could compress the incubator and new river a little bit more, but basically thats what they look like in the bags they came with.
    That REALLY shows the size benefits of down! That 4 season is good to 0° and the IX to mid 40's for not much bulk difference.

Banned
    Images
    I place my HG Winter Incubator at the very bottom of my ULC Circuit and it fits perfectly at the very bottom - to give an idea of how it fits in packs.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Awesome. Great info folks. Thanks for the pictures Harpo63. Pictures do speak louder than words. Weight isn't as much of a factor as packability for me. I'm still waiting for my Blackbird to arrive so I can see how my Lost River fits with the triangle thingies & how a thermarest feels in the double layer. Some of the river camps we use don't have available tress, so I will have to use my roll-a-cot & thermarest at times.
    Anyone out there with a summer Incubator?????
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 11-15-2010 at 10:43. Reason: added text

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Yeah, pics do speak louder... but keep in mind the trade off is in cost. So that comes into factor for some. You could get two synthetic quilts for the cost of one down.

The Thingies do work very well! You might need to add a cord to the top corner to allow the thingie to be adjusted more towards the center to get a good angle to lift the ends of the quilt more up than to the side.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    ...& how a thermarest feels in the double layer. Some of the river camps we use don't have available tress, so I will have to use my roll-a-cot & thermarest at times.
    Anyone out there with a summer Incubator?????
    KJ
    I tried the Wally World blue mat between the WBBB double layers yesterday and made a total of five minutes (YMMV) before deciding to beg Mrs. Law Dawg for an UQ. We had a very good yard sale and sold a bunch of ground camping gear so she was in agreement. Synthetic won out over down (Incubator was calling seductively though...the little hussy) so I will be ordering a KAQ New River (4 season...top secret industrial spy stuff here). Cost and wet made the decision easier...this afternoon it will be ordered.

Finding and staying on the insulation was tough (slippery) and it felt more like a cot than a hammock (everyone say EWWWWWWAAAA ). I really did not like the feel both from a comfort and an insulation stand point (again YMMV).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Yeti Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    I place my HG Winter Incubator at the very bottom of my ULC Circuit and it fits perfectly at the very bottom - to give an idea of how it fits in packs.
    I just ordered a HG, Winter Incubator and was wondering how it might fit in my ULC Circuit.

Thanks CG for the posting your question.

M.Bird

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    What color did you order Law Dawg? Did you go princess pink? That Digi Camo looks nice and would be a good a good match with the Blackbird's olive green color?
    Man I have way too much time on my hands. I want to buy so much new stuff.
    When the Blackbird arrives I'll have my answer. Is the thermarest & Lost River together enough to keep me warm in the shoulder seasons? Is the thermarest in the double layers a major pain? This is a tuffy, since my thermarest will come with me on my trips anyway as a ground back-up. But I HATE futzing with stuff when I'm trying to sleep. It kind of defeats the bliss of the hammock.
    KJ

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast