Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images

what's the weight bearing capacity of ripstop?

Good Morning, Hammockers!
    I'm making a hammock for my son for Christmas, who is about 6'2", 320 lbs. I feel certain this has been discussed before hereabouts, and I searched for the thread but couldn't find the one about the load tolerance of various weights of ripstop.

1.1 - 1.3 - 1.7 - 1.9 ... how much weight will they bear? Another question - will a double layer of ripstop support twice as much as a single layer? He lives in Florida so does mostly warm weather camping. But you never know, I might lure him up to Montana next fall! I have two double layer hammocks, and on a cool evening appreciate the ability to insert an insulating pad between them.

Thanks for your input.

sky
    Last edited by skyclad; 11-14-2010 at 16:01.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Warbonnet Black Bird DL 1.7 oz fabric has a weight rating of 375 pounds and a max flatness rating of 300 pounds if I recall correctly.

Others heavier than your son have used similar fabric with no issue. It is just comes down to the amount that the fabric will stretch and overall comfort. One member here had custom triple layer hammocks made to accommodate his particular needs (WBBB and Switchback I think).

So just to be safe, I would go with a Dual Layer of 1.9 oz ripstop nylon.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I can't answer your weight bearing question but would like to know as well for future reference.

I meet the same specs and general location as your son. After much reading on numerous sites, I decided to go with gathered end double layer 1.9oz ripstop for my first build (just finished and briefly tested this past weekend). Next weekend will be my first camp out with it so I can't speak to long term durability but several of the fine folks on here said that it'll hold up quite well.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images
    Thanks Brian and Pete. Pete have a great time in your new hammock. It really is a very comfortable sleep in the woods. I like to bundle up in mine when it's a little cool at night - perfect sleeping.

sky

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    dl 1.9 is the way to go, i am a little smaller at 300# and can use a sl 1.9 but i think if weight of hammock isn't a big deal go for the dl 1.9 for ultimate confidence.

-Tim

Tim,

If the weight of the hammock IS a big deal, what are your recommendations on the lightest single layer for 250lbs or so. I'm thinking 1.7 is probably a realistic limit. Would you go lighter than that?

Quote Originally Posted by MarshLaw303 View Post
    dl 1.9 is the way to go, i am a little smaller at 300# and can use a sl 1.9 but i think if weight of hammock isn't a big deal go for the dl 1.9 for ultimate confidence.

-Tim

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    lightest SL for 250 would have to be something in the 70D range. Like i said i use SL 1.9 at 300# so if you can find some material in the 1.5(like bwdd had) or 1.7 (like WB uses) you'd be safe i think. I have used the 1.5 but not seen the 1.7, assuming it is also 70 but without the DWR or something like that.

I wish i could but i can't suggest a SL 1.1 or 1.3 (both in the 30D range) as i went through mine within 10sec of laying in it, you're 50# less but that is getting close to too close for me to feel safe.

I won't be rating a SL 1.9 to 300# when i sell these, but thats what i will use, or a DL 1.1 which i will be rating at 250# when it gets real buggy.

-Tim

Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Curt,
    For a frame of reference when Tim and/or someone else knowledgable chimes in with the suitable single-layer fabric weight, here's what the over-engineered alternative weights...

I was more concerned with long term durability than weight, so I decided to go with a gathered end hammock made from double layer 1.9 ripstop nylon bought at Joanns and 3/16" 1200# Sta-Set rope and two 450# carabiners bought at West Marine for the tie-outs and ridge line. I'm using 1" webbing for the tree straps. My hammock setup weighs 2 lbs 3 oz, not including the tarp or bugnet. The bugnet weighs less than 3 oz and the 9'x9' Tyvek housewrap tarp and tie-out cords weigh another 1 lbs 3 oz.

BTW, I've determined that the Tyvek tarp, while great for shade and repelling rain, is only an interim solution because I cannot begin to describe how noisy it is. It has been durable and cheap test platform for trying out ideas though.

Quote Originally Posted by sigma_pete View Post
    Curt,
    For a frame of reference when Tim and/or someone else knowledgable chimes in with the suitable single-layer fabric weight, here's what the over-engineered alternative weights...

I was more concerned with long term durability than weight, so I decided to go with a gathered end hammock made from double layer 1.9 ripstop nylon bought at Joanns and 3/16" 1200# Sta-Set rope and two 450# carabiners bought at West Marine for the tie-outs and ridge line. I'm using 1" webbing for the tree straps. My hammock setup weighs 2 lbs 3 oz, not including the tarp or bugnet. The bugnet weighs less than 3 oz and the 9'x9' Tyvek housewrap tarp and tie-out cords weigh another 1 lbs 3 oz.

BTW, I've determined that the Tyvek tarp, while great for shade and repelling rain, is only an interim solution because I cannot begin to describe how noisy it is. It has been durable and cheap test platform for trying out ideas though.
    Wash the Tyvek. Huge difference. Do not use detergent/fabric softener. Cold water long cycle, washing it 3 times to get it soft has worked for me.

• + New Posts