View Poll Results: To Hike or not to hike

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hike the 1/4 mile day 1 then 7 miles to campsite 2 and 7 miles to shuttle cars making a loop.

3 25.00%
  • Hike the 1/4 mile day 1 then 7 miles to campsite 2 and then 7 miles back to original starting point.

1 8.33%
  • Hike the 1/4 mile day 1 then day 2 3 miles set up camp then do day hikes

3 25.00%
  • Just make a plan as a group night one around campfire.

5 41.67%
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    This hang is only about an hour's drive for me, so if there are no objections, I think I might invite myself for at least a night.

I'm totally lacking in gear right now, but I think I've got someone I can bum a pack, bag, and pad from for a little tent camping. How far in are y'all expecting to hike the first day? I'd really like an opportunity to see some different hammocks in action before I commit to building one type or another.

-Smalls

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    This hang is only about an hour's drive for me, so if there are no objections, I think I might invite myself for at least a night.

I'm totally lacking in gear right now, but I think I've got someone I can bum a pack, bag, and pad from for a little tent camping. How far in are y'all expecting to hike the first day? I'd really like an opportunity to see some different hammocks in action before I commit to building one type or another.

-Smalls
    Thats fine Smalls we are going to be a few hundred yards from parking area the first night and day 2 maybe 5 or 6 miles depending what mood we are in could be less and do day hikes I am flexible it's winter

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Excellent medicjimr, that sounds perfect. In that case, if I can't scare up the gear, I can still swing by and hang out for a couple hours, see some gear, maybe take some test rides, get some advice.

Hope to see you guys next month!

EDIT: Oh and Jim, if you need it for the permit, I drive a 2008 gray Toyota Tundra.

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    I'd like to try to make this. I will have to catch you later Fri. night or Sat. I work till 3 but I'm only 2 1/2 hrs max away. (Beaver County)

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Well My vehicle goes in for repair next monday so still looks good Guys. I will keep you up to date and will get who is bringing what for first night group meal list posted later in week.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy so far
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Muletape web/rings
    Hey Jimr, Finally on the mend from that flu,Man,nasty stuff. Still bumm'n about standing you up. If your vehicle repair gets to close for comfort for the hang I would be glad to pick you up. Will keep in touch and glad your OK.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by blisterboy View Post
    Hey Jimr, Finally on the mend from that flu,Man,nasty stuff. Still bumm'n about standing you up. If your vehicle repair gets to close for comfort for the hang I would be glad to pick you up. Will keep in touch and glad your OK.
    Thanks Dave will keep you posted , If I need a ride hope I won't

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Here is the most up to date list of who is coming still pending and what members are bringing for first night meal. I will post directions to sight next with possible itinerary. If you want to bring something for meal let me know and i will update . Thanks Jim

Good to go !

Medicjimr Brats , Rolls , Mustard
    Poppabear Homemade oatmeal raisin Cookies
    blisterboy
    Sambeaux
    SkyDog
    Heber Brats
    Chillyhiker Macaroni salad
    FixedbyDoc
    Hobbit
    jloden

Thats 10

Pending

rip waverly
    Otis_Hiker
    thegreatjesse
    lazy river road
    Oh-No
    smalls
    reflo3

That 7 Pending
    Last edited by Can't Wait; 01-13-2011 at 17:16.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Ok directions to the parking area and trail head I am going to give the easiest way in you can adjust from area you are coming from.

Interstate 80 Pa to Exit 101 Dubois bottom of ramp turn North on rt 255 towards Penfield, follow 255 North approx 20 miles to Rt 555 this will be just north of town of Force you will go past small grocery store on left and a Pharmacy on right. Like I said turn right onto 555 towards town of Benezett you will travel 555 for approx 10 miles be advised sharp turns on this road so pleas pay attention to posted speed limit and watch for Elk and Deer on roadway. You will run through village of caledonia and then to village of medix Run at medix run you will see hotel on right turn Right onto state rt 2004 Quehanna Highway cross bridge rail road tracks will go approx 10 miles you will see a natural gas pumping station on right and down the road a few miles the smoky bear sign and sign to Forest headquarters . you will go another 2.5 miles from the headquarter sign at Deible road and will see sign for Beaver Run Dam wildlife viewing area on your left turn right follow lane 1/4 mile to parking area . We will park there and just to left of bulletin board will be a lane back to locked gate go around gate and start looking to your left and right for hammocks just past gate maybe 100-200 yards.

Game Plan is to spend first night close to gate for group meal and late arrivals no pick nick tables so may do tailgate party for meal second day we can hike as far or as short as the group would like I scouted one way and found a easier way that has no hills and is a wide easy stroll. saw a real nice campsite 3 miles from gate if we just want to do that and then do some short day hikes especially if deep snow conditions . Any questions comments or suggestions let me know. Be advised this is my first winter Hammock camping not winter camping trip so we can learn from each other. make sure you have enough warm clothes and food and ability to melt snow for water. water filters will freeze. Bring camera may see a elk deer coyote turkeys bears should be hibernating as well as timber rattlers lol . I am pumped and looking forward to hopefully a annual event. who knows may want to try again in spring and fall allot of beautiful country.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Put me down on the list, I'm planning to come barring unforeseen circumstances. If JD can make it then I guess I have no excuse for it being too long of a drive

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast