View Poll Results: To Hike or not to hike

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hike the 1/4 mile day 1 then 7 miles to campsite 2 and 7 miles to shuttle cars making a loop.

3 25.00%
  • Hike the 1/4 mile day 1 then 7 miles to campsite 2 and then 7 miles back to original starting point.

1 8.33%
  • Hike the 1/4 mile day 1 then day 2 3 miles set up camp then do day hikes

3 25.00%
  • Just make a plan as a group night one around campfire.

5 41.67%
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by chillyhiker View Post
    Well I tried to fit everything into my pack and it dont fit.. dug out the grandkids plastic sled and will use it as a make shift polk. We should have snow I just hope we dont have those below zero temps that are coming in the next couple of days ... Ive slept down to 19 degrees F but zero and below would be taxing my limits. I aint no Shug...

Hey HWS did you get your dutch oven yet? looking forward to that peach cobbler you talked about. take care and see you all in a few days.....chilly
    Well I have been down to 17 ° f could probably squeeze another 10 or so degrees I just ask for snow to use the pulk's that we all put time and money into plus those like me that bought new snow shoes . I am like you and don't like below zero weather , Unless the wind is calm and I can live with it. I will keep watching the weather and change gear accordingly.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Got a few inches of fresh snow last night and temps cold again , Now we patently wait . Patience my A** lol

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy so far
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Muletape web/rings
    Well we got 6 more inch in falls creek last night, got as far as shawville today at work and still plenty of snow with a pretty good crust on top. Gonna try and make a run to the trail head this weekend to have a look, and will report in.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    So far so good supposed to be a warm up here on sunday 38 and rain got 2 " out of your 6 here Thanks for report Dave .

Hammock
    WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images

PA Hammcok Hanging - Dreaming:

Quote Originally Posted by chillyhiker View Post
    Well I tried to fit everything into my pack and it dont fit.. dug out the grandkids plastic sled and will use it as a make shift polk. We should have snow I just hope we dont have those below zero temps that are coming in the next couple of days ... Ive slept down to 19 degrees F but zero and below would be taxing my limits. I aint no Shug...

Hey HWS did you get your dutch oven yet? looking forward to that peach cobbler you talked about. take care and see you all in a few days.....chilly
    Chillyhiker, got my Dutch a few days ago and is seasoned and ready to go. Hoping to give it a few test drives before the hang. Remember what I said earlier. "What doesn't kill us will only make us stronger."

Got a verbal ok for vacation time. So as of right now I'm in ! WHO ELSE IS READY FOR THEIR PEACH COBBLER?

LoL, You ain't no Shug... Me either !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    Got a few inches of fresh snow last night and temps cold again , Now we patently wait . Patience my A** lol
    Medicjimr, Patience my A** lol... Calm down there big Jim, Keep the Cool. Your/Our PA Hang will be the bomb. I have been running a Sheriff Golf League with 24 plus guy's for over Lucky- 13 years now. Schedule 3 Golf Outings a Year. Have to place (3) Outing Dates per year 4-6 months in advance. Do you think I can forcast or use any weather models that far in advance to pick the best weather dates? h*&%^ no !!!

One thing for sure, as much as I like to be in control of my situations, Mother Nature is the one who is totally in control of the weather. You have done much planning and the leg work for this hang medicjimr (Thank YOU). Just sit back relax and enjoy the outcome.

The way I figure it, there might be a slight change of hiking/hanging plans or a learning curve or two to figure out for what the PA Outing Hang will have in store for us, but IMO whatever. Go, learn, meet people and enjoy is my personal motto for this trip!!!

One thing I’ll tell you for sure.... We all are going to have a good time and will be bringing some great memories home with us!!! Anyone that can get the time off from work have the gear and can't cowboy up for this hang. Have fun staying at home playing with your doll's!!!

Looking forward to meeting everyone!!!

NOW:

*****(LET"S GET PUMPED FOR THIS PA HAMMOCK HANG)******

P.S. SkyDog gave me an invite to Friday's 10:00 Breakfast, Looking to make it.
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

Images
    I call dibs on any leftover cobbler!! Wish I could make Friday night. Cobbler would be great for breakfast Saturday morning.

If I roll in around 3 am, as I expect to, I may mosey over and sniff out the Dutch and browse for leftovers. Hope no one mistakes me for a bear!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Joe I will hang a chem stick along the path where you turn and if I can find a suitable spot for ya and hang one there as well .

HWS that's fine it will be you , skydog ,Papabear fixedbyDoc and me then for breakfast friday am at cafe in benezette

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie

Weather

I keep checking the forecast and at the moment they are calling for freezing rain followed by snow. Personally I think that sounds great. Maybe I'm weird but I feel kind of disappointed when I put up my tarp and then the weather is perfect. The coolest thing in the world is to be under your tarp, warm in your hammock, and listen to snow/ice/rain falling outside.

Gonna be great.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy so far
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Muletape web/rings
    K, Snow report, a co worker had a job 4 miles from the boot camp, 15" of snow, 1/2" weak crust on top.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by blisterboy View Post
    1/2" weak crust on top.
    Thanks for the report! That 1/2 inch of weak crust sounds very encouraging. I was out last weekend here in Potter Co. Had an awful time getting through 15 inches of snow topped with 2 to 3 inches of very hard crust. Just not strong enough to stand on but a leg breaker trying to move forward. I was concerned we would face the same in the Quehanna.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

• + New Posts
  • Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast