View Poll Results: To Hike or not to hike

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hike the 1/4 mile day 1 then 7 miles to campsite 2 and 7 miles to shuttle cars making a loop.

3 25.00%
  • Hike the 1/4 mile day 1 then 7 miles to campsite 2 and then 7 miles back to original starting point.

1 8.33%
  • Hike the 1/4 mile day 1 then day 2 3 miles set up camp then do day hikes

3 25.00%
  • Just make a plan as a group night one around campfire.

5 41.67%
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by Heber View Post
    If my picture were blown up a bit more you'd see all the grey hairs.
    I have no grey hairs...

WAIT I have no hair!!!
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    It's great to see the interest growing in this hang. Due to unexpected work / travel reuirements for work. I had to miss the Mt Rogers hang this past weekend. So I am doubly psyched and chomping at the bit in anticipation of this hang. I will be getting home Fri/Sat from my trip. I intend to go thru my gear for the umpteenth time. Also I want to make a few final tweaks on my hammock / insulation /tarp setup.
    Terry

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    YETI & JRB quilts
    Suspension
    straps and buckle.
    Wanted to bump the thread and say that I can bring some firewood...Im not planning on using a pulk...cuz i dont have one but that might change after i try and get all of my quilts and cold weather gear into my pack. also medicjm do you have the GPS Coordinates for the lot? I quoted the directions you gave which are very detailed but would like the GPS as a back up. thanks looking forward to meeting everyone.. take care..Chilly

Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    Ok directions to the parking area and trail head I am going to give the easiest way in you can adjust from area you are coming from.

Interstate 80 Pa to Exit 101 Dubois bottom of ramp turn North on rt 255 towards Penfield, follow 255 North approx 20 miles to Rt 555 this will be just north of town of Force you will go past small grocery store on left and a Pharmacy on right. Like I said turn right onto 555 towards town of Benezett you will travel 555 for approx 10 miles be advised sharp turns on this road so pleas pay attention to posted speed limit and watch for Elk and Deer on roadway. You will run through village of caledonia and then to village of medix Run at medix run you will see hotel on right turn Right onto state rt 2004 Quehanna Highway cross bridge rail road tracks will go approx 10 miles you will see a natural gas pumping station on right and down the road a few miles the smoky bear sign and sign to Forest headquarters . you will go another 2.5 miles from the headquarter sign at Deible road and will see sign for Beaver Run Dam wildlife viewing area on your left turn right follow lane 1/4 mile to parking area . We will park there and just to left of bulletin board will be a lane back to locked gate go around gate and start looking to your left and right for hammocks just past gate maybe 100-200 yards.

Game Plan is to spend first night close to gate for group meal and late arrivals no pick nick tables so may do tailgate party for meal second day we can hike as far or as short as the group would like I scouted one way and found a easier way that has no hills and is a wide easy stroll. saw a real nice campsite 3 miles from gate if we just want to do that and then do some short day hikes especially if deep snow conditions . Any questions comments or suggestions let me know. Be advised this is my first winter Hammock camping not winter camping trip so we can learn from each other. make sure you have enough warm clothes and food and ability to melt snow for water. water filters will freeze. Bring camera may see a elk deer coyote turkeys bears should be hibernating as well as timber rattlers lol . I am pumped and looking forward to hopefully a annual event. who knows may want to try again in spring and fall allot of beautiful country.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images

Greetings PA Hangers

PM'd medicjimr, got an invite! Don't worry folks planning on bringing gifts for everyone!!!

I'm brand-new to hanging and my plan is to meet up with you hanger's on Friday and help anyway I can: set up, build a fire, cook, boil water, whatever. I have only 3 season hiking gear and have not done much winter camping as yet. Good news, getting ready to purchase my first hammock and hammock gear. I'm totally stoked, amped and pumped to see some hammock rigs and gear before I pull the trigger.

I have plenty of time at work to take off. But might be touch and go getting approved to take off.

medicjimr, What do you need or want me to bring? I was thinking about purchasing a dutch-oven for either making or heating up food. I saw a thread on HF about making peach cobbler in a dutch. Warning! This would be experimental for me though...

medicjimr, Let me know what you think? Hamburgers, Potato Salad, Sorry can't afford steaks. I can bring china paper plates, plastic ware, napkins and trash bags and pack everything out with me when I leave. Since I don't have the winter camping stuff as yet and won't be staying.

Put in for off time hope the plug doesn't get pulled.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and checking out some gear!

Take care all check your gear lists and get packing!!!
    Last edited by HWS; 01-28-2011 at 00:06. Reason: Add
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    UTM 17 T 729701 4571385

Lon/Lat N41 15.675 W78 15.483

This is for the parking area camp site 1 is a few yards below gate on right or left'
    Here are the GPS cords Chilly Hiker

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by HWS View Post
    PM'd medicjimr, got an invite! Don't worry folks planning on bringing gifts for everyone!!!

I'm brand-new to hanging and my plan is to meet up with you hanger's on Friday and help anyway I can: set up, build a fire, cook, boil water, whatever. I have only 3 season hiking gear and have not done much winter camping as yet. Good news, getting ready to purchase my first hammock and hammock gear. I'm totally stoked, amped and pumped to see some hammock rigs and gear before I pull the trigger.

I have plenty of time at work to take off. But might be touch and go getting approved to take off.

medicjimr, What do you need or want me to bring? I was thinking about purchasing a dutch-oven for either making or heating up food. I saw a thread on HF about making peach cobbler in a dutch. Warning! This would be experimental for me though...

medicjimr, Let me know what you think? Hamburgers, Potato Salad, Sorry can't afford steaks. I can bring china plates, plastic ware, napkins and trash bags and pack everything out with me when I leave. Since I don't have the winter camping stuff as yet and won't be staying.

Put in for off time hope the plug doesn't get pulled.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and checking out some gear!

Take care all check your gear lists and get packing!!!
    If you were planning on getting a dutch oven anyway peach cobbler sounds good forget paper products except toilet paper for yourself . we got to haul out what we take in so want to limit our trash. I don't have and extra cold bag or let you borrow shame you can't stay the night, but still will look forward to meeting you and helping with tips tricks and hammock ideas.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Hows everyone gear gathering going, Pulks all made that are being made. I am ready just a waiting .

Hammock
    WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images
    If you were planning on getting a dutch oven anyway peach cobbler sounds good forget paper products except toilet paper for yourself . we got to haul out what we take in so want to limit our trash. I don't have and extra cold bag or let you borrow shame you can't stay the night, but still will look forward to meeting you and helping with tips tricks and hammock ideas.
    medicjimr, Thanks for your post. I ordered a dutch oven with accessories, should be here in plenty of time before our PA Hang. Note: If I don't get the time for trial cooking with the dutch and have not made peach cobbler as yet. Know this: What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger! lol... If this turns out well we all can possibly be enjoying a hot plate of outdoors goodness. Hope for all our sakes it's the later.

Hope you don't mind. Planning to come with some xtra gear, perhaps there can be some time for show and tell. Yes will bring the TP thanks for that reminder.

Also thanks medicjimr for the equipment loan offer, my plan is to learn about hammocking starting with this hang and have my hammock gear purchased and in use by early spring. With my experience gained during this year spring, through the fall, building into winter camping readiness and with winter gear for around this time next year. A bit of a bummer not ready now, but need to have a good winter knowledge base of what gear to get and how to use it as properly as possible.

Looking forward to meeting you, chillyhiker and the rest of the PA Hanger's soon, Will also keep an eye on this thread for further developments. Thanks again...
    Last edited by HWS; 01-27-2011 at 23:58. Reason: SP
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HWS View Post
    I ordered a dutch oven with accessories, should be here in plenty of time before our PA Hang.
    It has been years since I played with a Dutch Oven. But, isn't there some sort of "break-in" / "seasoning" necessary before using one? But, you probably know that.

Doesn't Lakewood get tons of snow from the Lake effects off Lake Erie every year? You should have plenty of Winter experience
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Hows everyone gear gathering going, Pulks all made that are being made. I am ready just a waiting .
    I've pretty much got my gear together. Now I'm turning my attention to my pulk sled. It currently functions well enough with my PVC traces. I have been wanting to switch them out with fiberglass ones. I liked the look of Jim's that I saw in his videos. While on the road this past week. I got the chance to pick up a pair of 4 ft fiberglass fence post rods. So now I need to make run to my local Lowe's and get the hardware I will need. I'll post how they turn out for me as soon as I get them done.
    Terry

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast