Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Looks a lot like a bridge with smaller foot end and slowhike style end caps
    I think you're right on the first two points and have no idea what the third one is ... guess I'd better do a search for slowhike.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Slowhike is a member here that made some storage end caps for his hammock.

I have camped in a Chrysalis. I also own a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe.

The only real negative on the Chryslais is the weight. Putting it up is a breeze. I canoe/kayak camp with a group of men. It literally took me less than 1 minute from out pulling it out of the bag to totally up and laying out the sleeping bag. Two cinch straps, and pull the tent fly over and secure the velcro. . .that's it.

Another positive is it is big enough to fully sit up in. there are large storage areas on each end. I put my clothes in one, and shoes in the other.

Finally, the last trip we took was on the river. Warm temps when I went to bed. . .got pretty cool in the night. I stated out with the flaps open over the mosquito netting. As the temps dropped, I secured the flaps and had no trouble with staying warm. The only thing I used under my sleeping bag was a thin, cheap excercise mat from Walmart.

If you don't need to carry the Chrysalis in a back pack. . .it is the most comfortable hammock on the market and probably has the most room and storage. If you are backpacking. . .I would take the Hennessy.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'd like to check one out in person. I like the built in storage. much simpler than mine
    And I'm curious about the spreader bar... if it functions more like my version which mostly just spreads the top of the hammock edges or more like the spreader bars on a bridge hammock, bearing much more weight & force.

I'd like to see how it feels.

I don't think I'd like the small tarp right on the hammock, but the hammock it's self & it's bug net might be good w/ a separate & larger tarp.
    After swapping out the suspension of course.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark

I think I want one
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I'm with Bradley on this ... I want one. My weight is the only issue. I'm down from 250# to 240# but looks like I need to drop another 15# before the stated limit. I'm only 5'9" so length shouldn't be an issue as I've heard taller folk may not like the set-up due to the spreader bars. Wonder if like other products it's stated load weight is conservative and it actually would be okay slightly overloaded?
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

I have found that for ME, this is the most comfortable hammock I've slept in, and the only hammock (out of 7) that I have hung on to since going back to ground. It is by no means the lightest setup (even with mods), but the modifications to lighten the stock hammock are easy and have been previously posted in this thread.

As stated, I camp with my honey on the ground and so this is relagated to being my yard relaxer. If anyone (slowhike) has the desire to try it out, I'll ship it out if you ship it back. I have the crysalis bug net as well, but no hammock tarp.

For what it's worth, the Chrysalis is overbuilt, and I doubt that going 10-20# over the stated limit would pose a problem. But caveat emptor.
    Last edited by BER; 11-15-2010 at 00:44.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by kycamper View Post
    I have camped in a Chrysalis. I also own a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe.

The only real negative on the Chryslais is the weight. Putting it up is a breeze. I canoe/kayak camp with a group of men. It literally took me less than 1 minute from out pulling it out of the bag to totally up and laying out the sleeping bag. Two cinch straps, and pull the tent fly over and secure the velcro. . .that's it.

Another positive is it is big enough to fully sit up in. there are large storage areas on each end. I put my clothes in one, and shoes in the other.

Finally, the last trip we took was on the river. Warm temps when I went to bed. . .got pretty cool in the night. I stated out with the flaps open over the mosquito netting. As the temps dropped, I secured the flaps and had no trouble with staying warm. The only thing I used under my sleeping bag was a thin, cheap excercise mat from Walmart.

If you don't need to carry the Chrysalis in a back pack. . .it is the most comfortable hammock on the market and probably has the most room and storage. If you are backpacking. . .I would take the Hennessy.
    All great selling points for me as the comfort sounds good even if I'm pushing the size limits. Love the one minute setup!!

I'll pack mine on the bike or in the canoe so it's weight along with a large tarp
    isn't a worry.

I can go for the unit itself at $119US or spend $199CDN at another dealer and get the hard to find optional bugnet included in the sale. Hmmmmmm, which way to go.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    And I'm curious about the spreader bar... if it functions more like my version which mostly just spreads the top of the hammock edges or more like the spreader bars on a bridge hammock, bearing much more weight & force.

I'd like to see how it feels.

I don't think I'd like the small tarp right on the hammock, but the hammock it's self & it's bug net might be good w/ a separate & larger tarp.
    After swapping out the suspension of course.
    I think it's more like a bridge design.

For me the suspension looks good, so simple ... strap around tree, pull tight, and jump in.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    I have found that for ME, this is the most comfortable hammock I've slept in, and the only hammock (out of 7) that I have hung on to since going back to ground.
    Sounds perfect

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast