Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc B View Post
    I might mod a fan as I saw some nice over sized computer fans at Harbor Freight.
    For my wife and I, we had pretty good results with these:

http://www.campmor.com/o2-cool-carab...ting-fan.shtml

Hang the carabiner on the ridgeline, and the weight of the fan happens to point it at exactly the right angle to blow on your face in an assymetrical lay. It runs on one AA battery....not sure how long before it runs out, though....I usually fell asleep while it was running, and it was dead sometime before I woke up. One of these days, I need to test it with some rechargeables, since I think some of those are supposed to run longer.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Too true, I have the itchy back/sleepless night memory to testify to that.

No longer an issue now since I believe in better living through chemistry and permethrin (sp?) is my friend.
    Permethrin: Yes sir, this is the stuff...use it.
    It’s what we believe that makes us, as individuals, who we are. Suppress that and we all become the same…"sterile and boring." "Sir William Orville Martin"

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I forgot about the mosquitos & no-seeums. You'll need some sort of bug net. Two good options for simple gathered end hammocks that aren't too expensive are ENO & TreK Light. Just invest in better suspension, not Eno slap straps or the cords that come with the Trek Light.
    KJ

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    +1 on all of these recommendations. Try to pitch near water, use a fan, pitch your tarp in way that it funnels any wind toward you. We all know the wind is what provides cooling to your hammock in hot or cold weather. I will admit, I like camping in the heat so I dont have much on issue with it.

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    A while back there was another thread on this subject and we were discussing the use of the water retaining crystals used for hydrating plants. These can be incorporated into bandanas and such. There used to be a company making a type of vest marketed towards the motorcycle market.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=5028

SixSixOne
    http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...b-5647681a773a

These blankets are interesting...
    https://www.silvereagleoutfitters.com/index.htm
    Last edited by CajunHiker; 11-15-2010 at 12:55.
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Ice man; great suggestion regarding the scrubs. Hadn't thought of that.
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    There's a huge difference in the feeling cool department in a cotton hammock vs. the nylon ones.

I bought a Bliss Hammock IN a Bag for $16 at Marshalls/Ross/TJKMaxx and it's really nice on the deck (Vario stand). Not much room for a good diagonal lay, though, and I'm only 5'.

Then I ordered the oversized one but it didn't seem that much larger. Intend to measure both one day.

The cotton fabric is fairly thick compared to nylon viz skeeters.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCkQ8wIwAg#

Of course, it would have to be for car/canoe/kayak camping and when there aren't any other HF hangers around cos they'll laugh at you from their BBs.

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
    A while back ....we were discussing the use of the water retaining crystals used for hydrating plants. These can be incorporated into bandanas and such. There used to be a company making a type of vest marketed towards the motorcycle market.
    I have used these type of things, or just a wet bandanna around the neck on motorcycle trips. I've used ones that were basically just a rolled bandanna with the crystals sewn inside. And also had a model that was basically a circle with a hole cut out for your neck to fit through. It opened on one side and was fastened around your neck, the circular part covered your shoulders, upper back and chest. I never liked it as much as the bandanna type. Perhaps because I always wear a jacket and with the extra fabric covered it inhibited evaporation and provided little extra cooling.

Evaporation cooling is what makes this work. If the humidity is low it works well. If the humidity is high, there's no or minimal evaporation, you just end up with something hot and clammy around your neck.

The only claimed advantage of the crystals were that they soaked up more water and therefore had more water to evaporate compared to just a wet cotton bandanna so the claim was it provided a cooling effect over a longer period of time. On long motorcycle trips, where the goal was to cover a lot miles in a day, I always stop every 90 minutes or so for a short break. A wet bandanna usually provided cooling during that time and distance. I could wet the bandanna again thereby benefiting from the cooling effect for the next 100 miles. I can cover 600 to 700 miles a day for several days back to back and not be too tired to do it again the next day following that schedule.

If camping in higher elevations where it can get hot but have low humidity I think it worth a try. OTOH if camping in the south where its hot and humid. I think you will find it doesn't work.

On a motorcycle ride in high humidity you're moving and it still works a little. But if just standing around in high humidity, especially with no wind, its just clammy.

D

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    OES MacCat'D Cuben
    Insulation
    Usually nothing
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Interesting thread.

My first post here - but i got into the hammock thing precisely because I wanted to keep up outdoor activities through the summer. Where i live (North Queensland, Australia) we are well inside the tropics and summer is hot, but most difficult of all, very humid. I have tried a tent here and it is a total distaster. I think a tent is fine in hot and dry climates but add the humidity and it is horrible.

It is a challenge and unfortunately almost all the good gear and literature is about dealing with extremes of cold (which i do a little of as well). For hot weather hiking there really needs to be some good investigations of the whole system, from clothing, footwear and gear, to nutrition and hydration and sleep systems.

I am guessing my way and trying to learn more for all the bits and pieces that come together for a good session outdoors but my experience with hammocking on hot, humid nights leads me to suggest:

• Try to have dinner as early as possible (opposite to cold camping) so that some of the internal heat from the food/digestion has disapated before bed time. Chocolate in the hammock is a no-no!
    • DO NOT let yourself get dehydrated at any point through the day - it takes many hours to properly recover and you will sleep terribly even if you suck down litres of water in the evening (dry horrors)
    • Take water in the hammock (i clip a hydration bladder to the ridgeline)
    • Don't wear any clothes (other than what is required for campsite modesty) - best to have as little between your back and the cooling air as possible
    • Don't let yourself get sunburt - it will leave you feeling much hotter than it acutally is
    • A good long swim in the evening can really cool your core temperature down a lot and make the next few hours seem much cooler
    • When it is hot and humid just the activity of getting in the hammock and setting up (as well as the restricted air flow from the bug mesh) will have me hot and sweating but lie still for 20 minutes or so and the cooling will start to come through on my back noticably (the beauty of a hammock) - and it just gets better from there
    • Still have a light sleeping bag or quilt hung over the ridgeline - in the early hours of the morning when your metabolism slows back and maybe it is a fraction cooler you may find yourself getting more chilled than you would believe earlier in the night - even at 26 degress celcius and 80%+ humidity.

I think there is a whole lot to learn about making hot weather outdoors as comfortable and safe as possible and I look forward to more discussion of it.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Too true, I have the itchy back/sleepless night memory to testify to that.

No longer an issue now since I believe in better living through chemistry and permethrin (sp?) is my friend.
    Uncle, regarding Permethrin - how is that applied? To your backside? to the outside of the hammock? Is it sticky or greasy? Does it stink?

thanks, sky

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast