Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

5 in 1 Jerry Chair with additional IX layers

I have a 5 in one Jerry Chair (3/4 UQ) that I really like. Recently I purchased a couple of IX inserts for a full IX UQ with the idea of using them to supplement my 3/4.

I know this is not how the products are intended but my questions are...

Would it be better to put the inserts against the hammock first with the 5 in 1 on the outside?

Or since the 5 in 1 is differentially cut should it be against the hammock and the inserts actually on the outside?

At the recent Texas Hang I tried it in the second fashion and was certainly comfortable but it only got down to the mid-30's so I am not sure that I was optimizing my equipment. Thoughts, ideas, or comments?

Last edited by UncleMJM; 11-17-2010 at 12:31. Reason: correct picture url

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    ... so, any comments or suggestions on the over/under question for using inserts other than as designed?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post

Or since the 5 in 1 is differentially cut should it be against the hammock and the inserts actually on the outside?

At the recent Texas Hang I tried it in the second fashion and was certainly comfortable but it only got down to the mid-30's so I am not sure that I was optimizing my equipment. Thoughts, ideas, or comments?.......
    It is an evolving world as far as IX goes, with some people having no trouble with fit of MMG IX right out of the box, others struggling to get a good fit with no gaps. How tight is tight enough, and not too tight, etc? Plus all the DIY IX experiments that are going on. Who knows?

But here is a guess: Your 5 in 1 is dif cut and thus requires being pulled tight against you to some degree? So I wonder if the inserts are inside the 5 in 1, is there still room for the extra IX inserts to work to full potential without being too tight against your back? Again, who knows? Maybe Mac knows.

But my guess is that the extra would be better rigged around your 5 in 1. But of course, that leaves you having to figure out how to attach it so that air gaps will not allow cold air to flow in, yet not too tight.

Guess this was no help, your welcome!

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Guess this was no help, your welcome!

So far this was the best response yet. I tend to agree with your line of thought.

Still open to comments and suggestions.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Has anyone tested the draft tubes versus a sewn-in channel and shock cord?

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Yeah, Rat got sewn in channels to work for his family. Mine failed last weekend (I suspect I need large shock cord, the stuff I used was the dinky stuff for connecting tent poles). I've heard mixed comments on the draft tubes based on them being prone to moving away from where they are supposed to be recreating the gap.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Uncle Mike. Here is what I would do. I would use the Jerry Chair against the hammock body with the inserts on the outside. I would use binder clips to close up the gaps in the head and foot end, if there are any. Just fold over a large dart and clip it, you could then sew this in later so you don't need to keep up with the clips. You could also sew in a strangler on the head and foot ends to close the gaps, this will fit the widest range of people where the dart would be primarily to fit you.

Pull the Jerry chair tight to the hammock body, the differential cut allows for this.

On my stranglers I used 1 1/4" poly webbing for the channels and 1/8" shock-cord. You could proly get away with gross-grain ribbon, but I would stick with heavier shock-cord. I also tried 1" elastic, it failed miserably, don't do it.

I could not get my draft tubes to stay put, they would hike up and still leave a gap. One member posted they used safety pins to keep them from hiking up; but since the stranglers are working for me I will keep using them.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Mike, I just found this thread... you've gotten good advice so far. I favor the way you did it. When I use an IX Hammock Sock, I put a 3/4 IX UQ inside. The full length inserts can serve the same function as the hammock sock.

However, I would try it with the inserts on the inside. I'm wondering if the 5-in-1 Jerry Chair UQ suspension on the outside of the inserts will hold the insert against the hammock. You could tie knots in the Jerry Chair suspension, about a foot short of the ends. Give it a try and let us know!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts