Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River 2/3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Looking to get winter yeti

I currently have the KAQ lost river underquilt and have taken it down to high 20s or lower 30s and was wondering if anyone has ever used it with the winter yeti and how low they got? I'm looking to do winter backpacking on the AT possibly the southern part of the long trail where i hear it can get really cold. Do you think i would be good with those 2 underquilts and one of those thick walmart ccf pads? What would you all recommend? Also I currently have the speer top blanket, what would be a good quilt or sleeping bad to add to that to get me down to those cold temperatures?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    ?

What's "really cold"?

I'd just take the winter yeti (with a short pad for under the feet). I have one with the snap in mylar liner - probably good to 0 degrees easily. Does the AT (at any point) ever get that low?

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    ?

What's "really cold"?

I'd just take the winter yeti (with a short pad for under the feet). I have one with the snap in mylar liner - probably good to 0 degrees easily. Does the AT (at any point) ever get that low?
    Oh, sure... even here in the NY/CT areas of the AT we'll see a bit below zero at times over the winter, and I imagine the closer you get to Mount Katahdin, the colder you're likely to get. I mean, Katahdin is north and east of the area in the Adirondacks where I've seen as cold as -17F while camping. BUT, to cover 99% of winter backpacking in my general area, I bought a 0 bag.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I got down to 3*F with the winter yeti and a 1/4" thinlight pad for the feet. I was cool but not cold. But I'm also a cold sleeper.

This was on West Mountain Shelter on the AT late January 2010 in NY.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by CTGuy View Post
    I currently have the KAQ lost river underquilt and have taken it down to high 20s or lower 30s and was wondering if anyone has ever used it with the winter yeti and how low they got? I'm looking to do winter backpacking on the AT possibly the southern part of the long trail where i hear it can get really cold. Do you think i would be good with those 2 underquilts and one of those thick walmart ccf pads? What would you all recommend? Also I currently have the speer top blanket, what would be a good quilt or sleeping bad to add to that to get me down to those cold temperatures
    Are you looking to use them set up from opposite ends of the hammock or layered underneath each other? If opposite ends is your plan I'd suggest you just get a full length Winter rig on steroids and use the KAQ LR for warmer trips. If layered I'd wonder how hard it would be to adjust and not compress the loft of either.

Temps? Individual call as to what insulation one needs. I ordered the KAQ NR with 11.5 oz per yrd insultex for my Winter set up. Summer will probably need a KAQ LR 3 season.

Disclaimer; Law Dawg is not a professional hammock consultant even though he plays one on web sites. He is traveling on a motorcycle or in a cage (car) so weight counting is not as big a deal to him. Others here will have a much better feel for lightweight backpacking and Law Dawg recommends you listen to them for that info.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I did something kind of like that the last couple nights of the ID hang in September. I took a winter quilt stacked over a Lost River that was pulled down to the end of the hammock. The two overlapped by several inches, the Lost River covered the foot box on the BB and I skipped a foot pad altogether. There was some adjusting to make it fit together right but I was comfortable into the upper 20's both nights.

Beyond that I can't speak to the yeti working together but don't see why they would not. Just takes a bit longer to set up each night, a couple minutes any way.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Images
    there was talk at one point of someone using a 3 season yeti under the legs and a winter in the normal spot...don't know how it worked out. seems like putting an entire uq under your legs (when it was designed to go elsewhere) will require a bit of jerry-rigging

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    there was talk at one point of someone using a 3 season yeti under the legs and a winter in the normal spot...don't know how it worked out. seems like putting an entire uq under your legs (when it was designed to go elsewhere) will require a bit of jerry-rigging
    I think Shug was playing with two smaller quilts like that.

• + New Posts