Thread: Keeping Cool

Keeping Cool

I've seen a lot on this forum about staying warm, all the tips and tricks that everyone uses. That's great, but I have the opposite problem. I need to keep cool.

I'm hanging in the tropical jungle and between my net and tarp (absolutely need these things, I woke up one morning to find my legs looked like I had chicken pox. Over 100 bites, no joke.) I'm getting too hot and it's uncomfortable for me to sleep.

The temperature averages about 90(32C) in the jungle and humidity is 100%. Breezes are few.

I tried hanging my tarp higher to get a little more airflow, but then I got wet.

Any other suggestions? I'm getting sick of sweating all over my hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7 / HH ULBA / GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    SWT JRB 8x8/Poncho
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Leighs/HHSS
    Suspension
    7/64 and 2mm WS
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=24658

similar recent thread. a couple of suggestions in there

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    If there's nothing smaller than a gnat, you could have a standard skeeter net\sock made. It allows for far better air flow than the really tight weaves. A hammock with a more open or spacious design made from a more breathable material would be better than one that reminds you of sleeping in a taco shell. A hammock fan with good air flow is a big help as well. Placing something on top of your tarp that’ll reflect the sun’s heat and shade the inside of your hammock makes a big difference as well.

As far as the humidity goes, not a whole lot that can be done about that except to keep well hydrated.

By the way, there's product called "Elete" that you may want to try. I live in North Carolina and use it on days with high heat\humidity. About 30 minutes after drinking it, it’s like you suddenly adapt to the heat...sweating less, you don't feel fatigued, good energy levels and far more able to tolerate the heat. Best stuff I ever found.

Remember, Sawyer Permethrin is your friend. The spray is good, but the soaker is better. Pre-treated clothes are best.
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 11-17-2010 at 15:48.
    It’s what we believe that makes us, as individuals, who we are. Suppress that and we all become the same…"sterile and boring." "Sir William Orville Martin"

How well would a thermal blanket work? The problem with a lot of stuff is that it's going to be harder to source. Can't order stuff online either.

Gotta kinda work with what I have and can actually be found. I've been looking for some kind of fan but it's either impossible to find one locally or the price has been jacked up for tourists and I'm not paying $40 for a throwaway battery fan.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    A cheapy thermo would work fine, but try to find one that's big if you can...won't have to move it around as much. All it's for is blocking the suns heat and you'd be surprised at how well it works. As far as a fan goes, use your imagination and make one. You can buy the motors and battery packs at Radio Shack. A lot of folks on here have come up with some great DIY fans.

I have an unopened bottle of Elete and would gladly send it to you, if you'll cover the shipping. I have 2 and only need one...it's great stuff! Just measure the right amount into your water and your good to go. It's the number one thing I drink on the trail and it works equally well mixed with flavored drinks. IMHO, there's nothing else on the market that can touch it and no, I'm not a rep or anything, just a consumer.

PM me and let me know if you want it, if so its yours.
    It’s what we believe that makes us, as individuals, who we are. Suppress that and we all become the same…"sterile and boring." "Sir William Orville Martin"

• + New Posts