Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

A quick first look and a question

I had some time this afternoon to play with my new BB and Big Mamajamba Spinn tarp.

On the hammock:
    I've switched out the stock webbing suspension for 7/64" Amsteel UCRs attached to tree straps with toggles. I tinkered with the hang a bit and think I got close to finding the sweet spot and getting rid of the left calf pressure. I hung the foot end about 8" above the head end and made sure I was not jamming down into the footbox. Re-watching the video on Brandon's website helped a ton with the little things. Everyone knows what a fine piece of equipment the blackbird is, so I won't gush any further.

The Big Mamajamba in spinn is simply amazing. I think the sil-nylon door kit for it weighs more than the tarp itself. I set it up on a single ridge line. I started out with the ridge line over the tarp, but I really didn't care for it hanging that way. It seemed that the tarp ridge line was almost over-tensioned (and I didn't have the tarp pulled out super taut). I moved the tarp over the single ridge line, and I thought it improved the set up immensely. The tarp is plenty long for the blackbird - it will take some blowing wind to get anything under the tarp wet.

There is a split ring hanging down from the ridge at each end of the tarp ridge. I'm really not sure what those rings are for. Are they for running a single ridge line through? Or do they serve a different purpose? (see picture below)

One of the tarp corners is missing the door attachment split ring and attachment. I contacted Brian about it and got a near immediate response. I'll be sending the tarp back to Colorado for a quick fix soon.

Here are some pics:

"One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Great looking rig, Shane!

How did hanging the foot end 8" higher than the other work out? Can you give more details on that part?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The rings are for tying out separate lines for tarp rigging. Brandon told me that he put two on just for strength.....
    warbonnetguy: so the double rings on the ridgeline tabs are actually meant to be used as one ring. a single ring can be bent open if you pitch the tarp really tight, two does the trick. you can still attach the mitten clip to it with both rings engaged, no real difference there
    Here is a video I did on the tarp....it may help.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Great looking rig, Shane!

How did hanging the foot end 8" higher than the other work out? Can you give more details on that part?
    Hey Alan! You can see from the pic of the BB alone just how much higher the foot end is over the head end.

I was playing with the hammock last night on the 2x4 stand I built, but I couldn't really get the foot any higher than the head. On the stand, I played with the tightness of the hang and it seemed to me that the tighter I hung it, the less calf pressure I got (I would have expected just the opposite).

Hanging from the trees this afternoon, I started out with a hang that mimicked Brandon's video - flat and fairly loose. I'd get in and try it out, and then adjust the suspension on each side. I finally ended up with the foot about 8" higher than the head. The ridge line was probably a little tighter than shown in Brandon's video, but not by very much. This hang let me keep my body more "centered" in the hammock (no sliding towards the foot box) and allowed a better diagonal. There was still just a touch of calf pressure, but I think I can continue tweaking until I get rid of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    The rings are for tying out separate lines for tarp rigging. Brandon told me that he put two on just for strength.....

Here is a video I did on the tarp....it may help.
    Shug

Hey Shug! I attached my ridge line two the two rings that are on the same grosgrain loop with a little S-biner. I want to make sure we are talking about the same ring. It's the one hanging down from under the tarp just at the end of the ridge...
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    Hey Shug! I attached my ridge line two the two rings that are on the same grosgrain loop with a little S-biner. I want to make sure we are talking about the same ring. It's the one hanging down from under the tarp just at the end of the ridge...
    Those are for attaching the doors.........
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Interesting. I may have to try this with the new 1.1 single I ordered last night. That calf pressure drives me insane! Hoping the 1.1 single will allow me a better lay than the 1.7 double.

Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    On the stand, I played with the tightness of the hang and it seemed to me that the tighter I hung it, the less calf pressure I got (I would have expected just the opposite).

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Interesting. I may have to try this with the new 1.1 single I ordered last night. That calf pressure drives me insane! Hoping the 1.1 single will allow me a better lay than the 1.7 double.
    Let me know how it works out for you. I've been in Pam's BB 1.0 dbl a couple of times and it doesn't seem to have as much calf pressure as my 1.7 dbl, but it does stretch a lot more (I'm not the smallest guy in the world...).

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Those are for attaching the doors.........
    Shug
    Thanks Shug. I just watched the video again (for about the 20th time - it kept me going while awaiting delivery) and saw how you used that ring for the door attachment. VERY helpful as always! Much appreciated!

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Shane we have the same set-up just I have an older Spinn MJ so no side pull-outs. Considering sending it in to get them added. Just ordered my 3 season incubator today, so I feel your waiting pains.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Images
    yes, all rings on the underside are for door attachment

the double rings on the ridgeline pulltab are to be used together as one.

3rd picture (seperate rl over tarp) would be ok, but ti looks like tarp RL just needs to be pulled tighter. looks like the seperate rl is taking all the load and not allowing the rl of the tarp to fully stretch out. slight adjustment to the seperate RL should fix that

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    yes, all rings on the underside are for door attachment

the double rings on the ridgeline pulltab are to be used together as one.

3rd picture (seperate rl over tarp) would be ok, but ti looks like tarp RL just needs to be pulled tighter. looks like the seperate rl is taking all the load and not allowing the rl of the tarp to fully stretch out. slight adjustment to the seperate RL should fix that
    Thanks Brandon. I must say that the wind was blowing to heck and back this afternoon, and I was a bit scared to really tighten up the tarp on its first hang. I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with it as I learn what it can do.

Thanks for the clarification on the rings. I feel better about tightening it up knowing the top two rings are to be used together on the ridge line.

Guys... this tarp is amazing. Save your pennies and get one. It's so light that you don't need a smaller warm weather tarp. Just go into porch mode and let the breezes blow through.

Now I just need to figure out the perfect guy line set up for it. I'm thinking the good'ole taut line hitch will be the best way to go... lots of time for tinkering.

Enjoy the day
    Shane

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast