DW Chameleon/SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    SLD, WB, HG
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ, MLD TQ
    Suspension
    Daisy/Soft Shackle

sewing frustration

Any idea what would be causing such a mess?

I'm sewing some fleece to ripstop and the thread keeps wadding up on the bottom.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Bottom loops usually is evidence of top thread tension issues. Is the presser foot down? I forget to do that often when I work with thicker stuff.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD, WB, HG
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ, MLD TQ
    Suspension
    Daisy/Soft Shackle
    The pressure is set of 1 of 4.

Perhaps I did leave the presser foot up. I'll be sure to be cognizant of that from here on out.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images
    mice - hi
    check to make sure your bobbin is in the bobbin case from the right direction. some go in clockwise, some counterclockwise, and can cause this very problem if not in properly.

good luck,
    sky

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    It is in my experience that if its loose looping on the top then it is the stitch length that is set too long. Rip stop to fleece I think would be set at about a 2.5....If it is loose looping underneath then check the bobbin. Definately check that the pressure foot is down!!...That is a very common mistake made by us all!!!!

Keep us posted on the progress.....
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Ditto to all those espousing attention to pressure. I have made several top quilts, some tarps and a few backpacks and dropped many a stitch due to either forgetting to lower the presser foot or having too much or too little tension on either the bobbin or top spool. I usually have it set on 0 or 1 as far as stitches go because I like many stitches per inch.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Bottom loops rarely if ever have anything to do with the bobbin as long as it is in the race properly. Even if it is wrong, it is morelikely to drop stitches entirely than leave loops like that.

The top thread tension should be roughly in the middle of the range at first and adjust up or down from there.

The presser foot is also a very likely culprit because if the presser foot is up it disengages the top thread tension. That essentially removes any top tension adjustment at all. I would suggest the following test. Set the tension in the middle of the range. Remove all fabric from the machine. With the presser foot _up_ pull the thread thru the needle and not the amount of tension on the thread. Then put the presser foot _down_ (no fabric in the machine). Pull the thread thru the needle and note the difference between the two settings of the presser foot. Put the fabric in the machine and lower the presser foot. Pull the thread thru the needle to sense which of the two test setting it feels like. If it is more like the first then your fabric is too thick for the presser foot to drop properly. If it is more like the second the presser foot drops enough to engage the tension. The begin to stitch and check the bottom for th the loops. If they are still forming increase the tension. If not then you have established the top tension as the problem. Play with the adjustment until the stitches look proper.

Hope this helps.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I think Ramblirev got it. I can't dew really thick stuff in my machine either as the presser foot doesn't get low enough to engage the thread tension. Still saving for the Consew...Loops like that are almost guaranteed to be top tension related though.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD, WB, HG
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ, MLD TQ
    Suspension
    Daisy/Soft Shackle
    Thank you all for your tips and suggestions.

Top tension appeared to be the culprit. Made a few adjustments and it seems to be working better. I was able to finish the project without pulling my hair out. Thanks again everyone. There's not a more helpful group on the whole internet.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Late to the party- but 1 thing that I see causing that (and it is top tension related) is when the thread jumps out of the slot in the top moving arm- the one that pulls the thread back up after the loop goes around the bobbin...and it is not obvious as the thread -when it has jumped,- goes directly from the tension wheel to the lower guide loops, and I mostly use a dark thread, so it is not a high contrast situation. obviously not your problem this time, but a tip for the future perhaps..

glad it all worked out! KM

• + New Posts