DIY ultralight gathered end
    Tarp
    WB big mambajamba
    Insulation
    stoic somnus bag
    Suspension
    7/64" DIY whoopies
    Images
    in my own experience, if your line for the prussic is a bit smaller than the main line it will grab and hold much better. if you do use the same size, you will need to do more wraps and it will not hold as much weight w/o slipping because it cant grab the same as a smaller line would. I use mason line as a prussic on some small dacron line, it works fine, but i did try using dacron for both the prussic and RL and it wouldnt grab at all. Just try it out for yourself because there is no better knowlege of this stuff than to have your own experience with it. you can read all you want but things will be different in the field, so just dive into it and give it a whirl.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Do you have a picture of this? Sounds interesting
    Yeah, My current widest hang is 30ft with the tree straps at a little over head high. 35 ft takes them higher than I can reach, barely I just touch.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d&id=567846758
    Last edited by tbctx; 11-22-2010 at 14:50. Reason: Image didn't imbed right so switched to link

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    I actually used alpine butterfly knots for my set-up that has 2 RLs. The upper/main one holds my tarp and then my hammock clips into the alpine butterflies via dutch biners to let me do a 30 degree without regard to tree distance/suspension angle.
    Is there a reason to run two ridgelines? Wouldn't a single strand of amsteel work for both tarp and hammock?

-jeff
    Last edited by Roundtrip; 11-25-2010 at 14:20.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundtrip View Post
    Is there a reason to run two ridgelines? Wouldn't a single strand of amsteel work for both tarp and hammock?

-jeff
    If you put pressure on the bottom of a silnylon tarp that is wet you will rapidly find yourself wet too . Separate lines are always used for tarp/hammock to prevent that, and add a little more air flow/headroom. The other perk/original reason I went too it is I'm prone to areas that don't have ideal hang distances forcing a long/flat hang or climbing the tree to set my straps. Using the 2 RLs I can set 30 ft at a bit above my head height and still not be on the ground. The upper RL can be set flat if needed and the act of dropping down to the hammock's RL maintains a desired hanging angle. Could also be done without the hammock's RL on a hammock that doesn't have netting, due to the upper RL maintaining angle.

Just use the Penberthy prussic. One of its noteworthy features is that it works just as well on lines of the same diameter as it does on lines of greater diameter.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have yet to find a decent diagram of the Penberthy. Is it the same as the Klemheist? Animatedknots.com shows the Klemheist but not the Penberthy.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    ~Redd Foxx

"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    I actually used alpine butterfly knots for my set-up that has 2 RLs. The upper/main one holds my tarp and then my hammock clips into the alpine butterflies via dutch biners to let me do a 30 degree without regard to tree distance/suspension angle.
    Effectiveness depends on the cord. I was doing something very much like this a couple of years ago using slippery Vectran, and the alpine knots would not hold. They did hold with spyderline (which has a rough cover and resists slipping).
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Effectiveness depends on the cord. I was doing something very much like this a couple of years ago using slippery Vectran, and the alpine knots would not hold. They did hold with spyderline (which has a rough cover and resists slipping).
    I've been using it on amsteel and no slippage so far so, figure I'm good. I am trying to come up with a slightly different way to do it for a second hammock that lets me have a shorter min distance though.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicmiami View Post
    I have yet to find a decent diagram of the Penberthy. Is it the same as the Klemheist? Animatedknots.com shows the Klemheist but not the Penberthy.
    Solved my on question. It appears as though the Penberthy is a similar construction knot as the Klemheist. The difference is that instead of using a loop and and forming a bite on both ends, like the Klemheist or Prussic, the Penberthy is tied by forming two loops on both ends and wrapping in a similar manner as the Klemheist. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    ~Redd Foxx

"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hi Cosmic,

I don't know the Klemheist myself, but you could possibly find pictures of the Penberthy prussic on a UK site called outdooridiots. Oh, and if I recall correctly, they describe the knot not as a stand alone topic, but in the section about setting up tarps. Hope that helps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast