Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Webbing or Spectra?

What setup do you all use to hang and what would you recommend to a Newby?
    I just started using my cinch buckles recently. I made a short 3 foot section on each side of the hammock to give me plenty of adjustment. The last time I went on an over night trip I used the short webbing and a biner to spectra rope. Well, I hate to cut rope so each side had like 25 feet, a real waste of weight, and worse, a real hassle to use between fairly close trees.
    Now I have replaced that small length of webbing with a 15 foot length of webbing on each side, no rope, but I think the weight might actually have increased a bit, not much.
    If you were setting it up how would you go and why. Thank you for sharing your experience.
    Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I use a piece 1.5' piece of Spectra on each end of the hammcok, that goes from the hammock to the cinch buckle that I use. Then there I use 10' of webbing on each end to go from the buckle to the tree.

Webbing is a little heavier than Spectra but it's easier to use, IMHO.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Poly straps, Trek Light biners, and rings or buckles. I still prefer the rings, but it may just be me being sentimental. I use 12' on each end and haven't had any problems finding a suitable sites.

I've been using the strapworks webbing and very much like it; zero stretch. However, I just got an order of the camo webbing from OWF (lighter). I haven't hung from it yet, but the weekend is coming up pretty quick.

Why? Because of the ease of use, the limiting of damage to trees, and the reliability.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Looks like I am just taking too much of everything

I appreciate your ideas. I have virtually no one else around these parts that hammock camps who has any experience, so I could go for months without seeing some small detail that would make hammock camping even better. I think I will stay with my 15 foot webbing on each side. I agree it is easier to use. Mule

Skskinner, I'm in a similar situation. Just trying to figure out a good length for my webbing before I buy it. I've been carrying around heavy climbing webbing in various lengths to try, on my day hikes, and it just convinces me I need some lightweight poly (ester, probably) webbing!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you don't mind the extra weight and bulk, then webbing isn't a bad way to go, but webbing is like almost 4 times heavier than good rope of an equal rating. It is also many times that more bulky.

I use the Carabiner Hitch that Grizz pointed me to over on Rock's site. I think Take-A-Knee recently wrote that he uses that also.

The rope is more expensive than the webbing, but the Carabiner Hitch is just as easy to use according to the guy on Rock's site that ditched webbing for rope. I've been using it now and it is easy. But then if you are using a Hennessy, the rope comes with the hammock and the Carabiner hitch requires zero modification to the setup so you don't have to cut that rope.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Skskinner, I'm in a similar situation. Just trying to figure out a good length for my webbing before I buy it. I've been carrying around heavy climbing webbing in various lengths to try, on my day hikes, and it just convinces me I need some lightweight poly (ester, probably) webbing!
    12' of polyester webbing per side is what I use. Seems to be a popular number.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Looks like I am just taking too much of everything

I appreciate your ideas. I have virtually no one else around these parts that hammock camps who has any experience, so I could go for months without seeing some small detail that would make hammock camping even better. I think I will stay with my 15 foot webbing on each side. I agree it is easier to use. Mule

I started with Spectra line, but finally went to simple webbing for the entire hanging tackle. I use no hardware whatsoever - no rings, no biners.

My tackle is 1.5 inch polypropolene webbing, 14 feet for each end, tied directly to the hammock body. I use a lineman's hitch - like the Hennessey hitch after as many wraps around the tree as needed to use up the webbing length.

My current webbing has 5 months of continuous trail time on it. I will retire it soon, just on general principles. It does not look worn.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    If you don't mind the extra weight and bulk, then webbing isn't a bad way to go, but webbing is like almost 4 times heavier than good rope of an equal rating. It is also many times that more bulky.

I use the Carabiner Hitch that Grizz pointed me to over on Rock's site. I think Take-A-Knee recently wrote that he uses that also.

The rope is more expensive than the webbing, but the Carabiner Hitch is just as easy to use according to the guy on Rock's site that ditched webbing for rope. I've been using it now and it is easy. But then if you are using a Hennessy, the rope comes with the hammock and the Carabiner hitch requires zero modification to the setup so you don't have to cut that rope.
    Any pics or links to this carabiner hitch? Thank you in advance!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast