Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I like getting up early in the morning and getting everything put away and getting moving by 4-5 pm. Then I take it nice and slow until there is some light. I stop and eat breakfast by 8-9 am. Then I keep going until 12-1 pm where I cook a hot lunch and take a nap if want usually 1/2-1 hour and then I go until after dark and stop and eat when I feel like it. I usually don't stop for the night until at least 7-8 pm unless the weather turns fowl. I am usually exhausted at this point. Fire is nice, but for me my goose down is better.

My time killer in the woods is carving. To me this brings on a nice kind of meditation and the time flies as I try to carve a face or pattern into an old stick. Whistles are nice to make and the kids apreciate them as gifts. But I like freeform the best. I have made some pretty cool 'old woodsman' on some long solo trips. I have even made my wife some beads for her necklaces she like to make.

I think being out on the land is about listening. It is great free time away from the hustle and bustle of life.

When I go with someone it is usually one or several of my 4 kids (ages 5 - 12 years). Mini cards and mini dice are a favorite or ours. We even have a mini set of dominoes.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    This is a great thread! - bump.

timeanddate.com
    has a sunrise/sunset calculator that also provides day length for many regions. I only go camping if there's more than 10 hours of daylight. Feb 9th, 2009, there will be 10 hours of daylight at our latitude. Can't wait!

Hammock
    HHUL & Clark NA & WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Wintertarp
    Insulation
    SnugFit & Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps, DutchClips
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    And if wood consumption is no concern, a glowing red stove and chimney provide enough light to read by. (however I was always told it is not good to read in low light - is that just an urban legend?)
    Hello Turk,

It's an urban legend. You just get tired sooner

For me, when it's time to hit the sack because I get cold (wich is soon because fires are not allowed) I do some reading with a headlight and than sleep early!
    Only problem is that I have to get out. For myself and to let the dog walk around a bit...

I don't do music. Brought my iPod a couple of times but never used it.

Duncan.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

I don't do music. Brought my iPod a couple of times but never used it.

Duncan.
    I've downloaded backpacking/camping related Podcasts from various sites to listen to when I'm nestled in. Great interviews with gear manufacturers, hikers giving reports, and general info with tip and tricks. Yes, I do music also, but stuff that will definitely put me to sleep when I'm ready. For that matter, I've also got stuff to get me up and going, as well as rythmic stuff to set a pace to. Ever hear of Shania Twain...great beat to walk to.

I went with about 40 of my best friends. Had no shortage of people to talk to! Great campfire as well.
    Last edited by Mrprez; 01-31-2009 at 08:35.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Yes! I took my mp3 player with books from Audible.com last weekend. Never listened to it. My 40 friends were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too interesting!.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Yes! I took my mp3 player with books from Audible.com last weekend. Never listened to it. My 40 friends were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too interesting!.
    HC,

Wonderfully said.... The Winter Hang party definately shortens the night.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

In winter, the snow offers decent night visibility. It's much brighter than the dirt and grass of other seasons. I generally find that the ambient light plus that of the campfire are plenty. What to do; listen to the sounds of the woods, relax, kick back. I tend to not bring books to read, too heavy. I don't like to listen to audible recordings as I enjoy the sounds of the woods more. Winter star gazing is the best, no haze in the sky so you can see very well. I do carry a night vision scope, and it's amazing all the wildlife around you that just goes by in the dark. I'm in upstate NY most of the time, and there are coy dogs (mix breeds of former domesticated dogs and the wild dogs of the area, I think) that run in packs once you get away from the people. They leave you alone, so no worries, but they howl at night like wolves. I love that. My dog loves to howl with them. He's a shelty, hardly a tough dog who could run with the pack, but he likes the idea anyway. Some people get really creeped out by it, but I think it's pretty cool.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the ipod links. I spend a lot of time in traffic (Chicago) and audiobooks really make time fly. Now I will have different stuff to listen to. I did download a movie for my last trip. Tried to watch it at night, but being so comfy in the hammock, I fell asleep. When I woke in the morning (still comfy) I didn't want to get up so I watched it then. Usually I listen to some classical before falling asleep.

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    I don't winter camp as much as when I had hair for some reason but we get out about 12 nights or so each winter.
    1. Warm enough clothing to sit/hang around + adequate footwear.
    2. A little propane-butane lantern and good headlamps.
    3. Hammock for 2 (tho Spousie eventually usually sleeps in a single tent)
    4. iPod with books and Scientific American podcasts
    5. Bailey's or Ameretto with Hot Choc
    6. Good weather .. little to no precip and above 20*
    7. Little to No snow on the ground.... usually.
    8. Great snacks and easy to prepare hearty food
    9. Rich inner life + lots of life experience = pleasant past time +
    10. Companions who enjoy free ranging , eclectic and unpredictable conversations.

Edit-- When much younger I carried a 3+person tent -- so 4-5 folks could sit in it sharing great snacks, wine, conversation, poetry and body odor. Play cards, cribbage, backgammon n stuff.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 02-01-2009 at 03:00.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast