View Poll Results: Have you tried HH?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • I currently own or I have owned or used a HH.

191 79.58%
  • I have never owned or used a HH.

49 20.42%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

The Hennessy Experiment.

My thoughts had been lingering on details of the video tutorial thread when it came to mind that some of the things that need to be addressed in the videos will have to be done twice, once for a HH and once for just about any other type of hammocks. Things like using under quilts, dealing with pads, getting in your sleeping bag, even hanging the hammock are different with a HH.

It got me thinking about how many people currently own or have owned and used a HH. Wonder how many of us have had the HH influence at some point in our hammock camping experiences?

I would also like to know if you still use your HH or have you switched something else?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

I have laid in one and didn't like it. To much of a hassle to get in and out, to much of a hassle to get your stuff in and keep it in place. I prefer a top entry hammock.

I put my vote as used one even though I never owned one.
    Last edited by Ewker; 12-04-2007 at 20:02.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Never been in one, seen them but never got in.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Switched to top loader

I am trying to sell my HH now. I have an Eagle's Nest and a Claytor Jungle. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I still own an Expedition and an Explorer Deluxe, but usually let friends or family use them. I prefer a "Speer inspired" homemade top entry, or a "Hennessy inspired" homemade top entry hammock.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    It may be just my limited experience, but I notice a lot of people start off with Hennesseys. They are a complete package that you can hang immediately after opening the box. But then they start to drift toward top entry styles for the convenience of entry and options of going netless. Hennessey is the gateway drug to hammocking.

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Own, use and like my HH Desert Rat. Havent experience all the others yet, so I have nothing to compare it to.
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Images
    I own several hammocks of both types. I still very much like my HHUL Explorer even though I like the top entry type in many ways also. It is for me the most comfortable one to lay in overall. If my netless Safari was a good bit lighter, it would probably take top honors, at least when it is not bug season. But it is a bit heavy for backpacking. I like my Speer also, but it is not quite as comfortable. But if I ever commit to the PeaPod, it will become my main hammock. Or, a Treklight or TTTM maybe, if the PeaPod will fit them.

Heck, the ones I have experience with all have pros and cons and I really like them all. But I started with and still use HH. And my SS.

Me, I sold my two HHs years ago because I like my homemade rigs better. They are easier to set up, easier to use, more versatile, lighter, more weather worthy and so on. But getting there was a long learning curve - not for everyone.

All in all, let's give Hennessee credit for being an innovator who has introduced hammock camping to a great many people.

The HH is an awsome piece of engineering - a turn-key, entry-level product for sure, but also great for swamp camping. (Your bedding won't fall out into the water, and the bottom entry is great when mounting a hammock from a canoe.) I can imagine it would be nice to use in Central America with all its creepy crawlies.

HH has patents on tricks that any hammocker can use, even with home made rigs. The snake skins are obvious. Less obvious is the static line that keeps the ends of the hammock at a constant distance apart so set-ups are consistent. On the other hand, the bottom entry is not for everyone for a lot of reasons; the tree huggers are tedious to use compared to using webbing straps for hanging lines; the attached net reduces versatility; fly coverage is skimpy.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Started with HH and have stayed with my Explorer Ultralight with SS. Have experimented with numerous mods per threads here. I find the treehuggers with rings, 'biners and stock rope attached with a garda hitch keeps weight down and simplicity up. It's been a great "base" system to experiment on and tweak with personal preferences.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast