Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Discrimination against hammocks?

Except that "discrimination" is too strong of a word, and I can't think of one that fits to replace it with.

But in the past two weeks, I started a series of small trips (wwoofing if any of you are familiar with it) and I'm doing a lot of camping. I've got hammock, bugnet and tarp, I'm completely set up and I'm comfortable with it. I've done it for years.

I've heard all of the following:

"Oh, you do'nt have a tent!? I'll get you one, they aren't that expensive."

"Are you sure? You'll end up with a tent, no one camps with hammocks that long."

"Oh, no worries, you can crash in the house, it's going to be more comfortable than a hammock."

"You're going to get bit up by mosquitoes, let me loan you my tent."

"Your backpack is small, where's your tent?"
    "I don't have a tent. I have a hammock, remember?"
    "Oh, we need to get you a tent!"

These all came from different people at several different locations and as a result of them, I've not spent a single night in a hammock. (I didn't want to offend anyone's charity so I stayed inside) Much to my detriment. I've woken up with sore shoulders three nights in a row, today my neck and wrist hurt. Despite claims that I'd be safer from mosquitoes indoor, I woke up this morning to three new bites. Today, I think I'm going to stealthily set my hammock up on the land and "go for a walk" and "accidentally" fall asleep in my hammock.

Any reason why people do this? Especially the already outdoorsy-inclined people?

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    lack of knoeledge

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    no hammocks in Thailand? I would think that culture would be familiar with them

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    It is a perception thing.

This is what most people think of when hammocks are mentioned.

Hammocks are for lounging. Tents are for camping.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Add another item to your list that I tend to get all the time...
    Oh, you're that person in the hammock... what kind of sleeping bag do you use in that thing?? Then I tell them that I don't use a sleeping bag, that I use a quilt. Next thing I know, these people are trying to loan me their "spare" sleeping bag because they "know" that I'm first of all crazy because I'm in a hammock. But also I'm not to bright because I "forgot" to bring my sleeping bag.
    Sometimes I will pull my "quilt" out and show them. Sometimes they are interested enough that they will try out my hammock. Then I usually have to threaten them to make them get back out. I've learned enough now to not let people into my hammock but to bring a spare and let them try that one.
    Usually, I've found that most people are thinking they are helping you by offering the tent, spare sleeping bag or spare room with the lumpy matteress. You need to stay firm with your intentions of hanging in their back yard (or where ever you were at). After you've experienced a few more aches and pains from sleeping in the tent or a matteress, you'll stop taking the offerings and just sleep blissfully in your own hammock.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    You should have seen the guys at elk camp last week. They all brought their travel trailers, I brought my Blackbird, Crowsnest & Superfly. The first few days every morning started the same.

Them- "How cold did you get"?
    Me- "You had to come wake me up didn't you"?
    Them- "It rained all night, how wet did you get"?
    Me- "You had to come wake me up didn't you"?

It was pretty funny by the end of the week. I enjoyed watching those hungover gimps crab walking every morning from those nice travel trailer mattresses
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I've found that most people are thinking they are helping you by offering the tent, spare sleeping bag or spare room with the lumpy matteress.
    I think this has a lot to do with it, as it's a very hospitable culture here. And while my hosts do have hammocks, they only use them as a porch style lounger hammock, not something to sleep in made of nylon. Theirs are net-style.

I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out not offending them. I want to be kind and accept their charity, but it's stressful on my body. Not to mention getting woken up at 5:45am because someone forgot to turn off their alarm clock in the rented room and I couldn't easily get back to sleep.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    It was pretty funny by the end of the week. I enjoyed watching those hungover gimps crab walking every morning from those nice travel trailer mattresses
    ahem... as I am a true "gimp"... please reserve the term for those who have no choice. If someone should simply know better they are not really a gimp.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    ahem... as I am a true "gimp"... please reserve the term for those who have no choice. If someone should simply know better they are not really a gimp.
    I stand corrected, sorry Rev!
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    You need to just have some pat one-liner answers and one word responses. These are folks who are only concerned for you. I get it all the time from the oldtimers who've backpacked for decades.

"You'll get cold!"
    "Dontcha get seasick?"
    "gonna be looking for a tent soon..."

I just sort of look at them and say "really? hm." And go get in the hammock at bedtime, pop up bright and early, get my coffee on, and smile cheerfully at breakfast.

"You were cold werntcha!"
    "Nope. Haven't been cold once in the last four years since I started using a hammock."
    "ummmmm...."

It's just because hammocks aren't "normal" yet. Everyone always used tents, after all.

Maybe come up with something like, no, I've slept in beds most of my life... I'm much more comfortable in my hammock now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast