Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images

Easiest answer

A few words takes care of most issues JUST TRY IT.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    It's just because hammocks aren't "normal" yet. Everyone always used tents, after all.
    I hope hammocks never become "normal".

I like feeling like a pioneer in a new style, and a rebel against the mainstream, and being able to prove the ground dwellers wrong.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I hope hammocks never become "normal".

I like feeling like a pioneer in a new style, and a rebel against the mainstream, and being able to prove the ground dwellers wrong.
    I have felt like this but recanted as though I was being selfish.
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

You guys are funny. While the point of the point of the OP was the feeling of being discriminated against because of the use of a hammock, comments like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Tell them that comparing tents and Hammocks
    is like comparing phones

hammocks are like cel phones
    and tents are like rotary phones in phone booths . . .

if they were transportation

Hammocks are a Lamborghini
    Tents are ox carts
    Or this:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    "Tents are the equivalent of a bum crawling into a cardboard box. Hammocking is an art." - Kayak Karl
    show that the discrimination goes both ways. Easier to tell those that are curious or ignorant or just trying to be helpful that there's more than one way to be comfortable in the woods and SIYOS (sleep in your own shelter).

Note before I get flammed, I like to sleep in my hammock, but choose to sleep on the ground to sleep with my wife. Guess I swing both ways. . And I certainly am not offended by the above statements, but am just pointing out that while the statements speak to your passion for hanging, they do nothing to address the feelings of discrimination.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    When I brought my hammock on my river trip in September, my river buddies gathered in their camp chairs to watch me put it up. They called it "the floor show." They gave me crap, but in the end they were impressed with how quick the hammock & tarp went up. In the mornings as they were all bent over taking down & folding up their tents, I just unclipped a couple biners and figure9s, and stuffed my hammock & tarp back in their bags. They quit laughing at me pretty quick.
    KJ

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Discrimination is the process by which choices are made. intelligent choices are based on adequate/factual information. if the tenters are encouraged to try it, they will have more information from which to make a better informed choice. information that we (as hammockers) already have, so in actuality- we have already 'discriminated' and chosen in favor of comfort over tradition.
    KM (who is really appreciating her old philosophy prof just now..)

Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    Discrimination is the process by which choices are made. intelligent choices are based on adequate/factual information. if the tenters are encouraged to try it, they will have more information from which to make a better informed choice. information that we (as hammockers) already have, so in actuality- we have already 'discriminated' and chosen in favor of comfort over tradition.
    KM (who is really appreciating her old philosophy prof just now..)
    Not to start an argument, but by your statement you are assuming that 1) all hammockers started as tenters (likely, but not necessarily), and that 2) hammocking is by definition more comfortable than tenting (I would cite myself as an example where this is not the case being much more comfortable snuggled up to my warm, sweet smelling wife in the double sleeping bag in the tent).

I would also point out that discrimination has more than one definition.

"treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination." --dictionary.com

Again, not trying to start an argument Kermegan, but my earlier post was to point out that it goes both ways and by our own statements often divide rather than include others.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    but am just pointing out that while the statements speak to your passion for hanging, they do nothing to address the feelings of discrimination.
    but we have been oppressed for so long..............
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Images

re

While hanging in the first spot up from the bridge on Spence out in the Gorge a few months ago we heard some people heading our way. It was raining cats and dogs and the trail zig zags above this site several times so we heard for for some time before they came up on us. We had the tarps pulled low so we never actually saw them.

Their conversation to my buddy...

"Anybody home?"
    "yup!"
    "That one of those hammock things?"
    "......yup......"

The reply I kept to myself...."no we just hung our tents upside down and two feet off the ground to hide from the bears...duhh"

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Not to start an argument, but by your statement you are assuming that 1) all hammockers started as tenters (likely, but not necessarily), and that 2) hammocking is by definition more comfortable than tenting (I would cite myself as an example where this is not the case being much more comfortable snuggled up to my warm, sweet smelling wife in the double sleeping bag in the tent).

I would also point out that discrimination has more than one definition.

"treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination." --dictionary.com

Again, not trying to start an argument Kermegan, but my earlier post was to point out that it goes both ways and by our own statements often divide rather than include others.
    no argument here ! I see only that you have made a rational decision based on additional information, which apples to your situation, but does not apply to me. the further definition you provide applies to other situations- 'judging on class rather than merit' and the modern/popular -connotation- of discrimination- "to dismiss or degrade based on classification (racial/religious/geographical) rather than individual merit"

I tried hammocking because it was different and interesting. i discovered that i had far less pain/discomfort in the morning when camping; so i kept with it. I have showed it to some friends- some are interested, some are not. YMMV, HYOH etc.
    so I think we are pretty much in agreement, yes? KM

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast