Thread: Underquilt loft

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer

Underquilt loft

I'm getting ready to make an underquilt using the Potomac directions. Question about insulation. Looking at OWF site, they have Climashield XP in two different sizes. 2.5 oz with a 5/8 to 1" loft, 5.0oz with 1-1/8 - 2" loft. Now sure what I need. Any suggestions from you seasoned professionals?

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Lost, I am not a seasoned hammock expert but have been backpacking for years. I would go for the most loft I could get. I assume you are speaking of synthetics? It takes more loft with that than with down. I just made a quilt from a sleeping bag and shook all the down into the smaller area of the quilt and I have about four inches. That is too much for most campouts, not too much for the teens or single digits. Also it is only 550 fill down which makes it a little heavier than that good stuff that Speer and JRB uses.
    I will be interested in seeing how your quilt comes out. Seems like that would be the way to go if you were always in wet weather. I sometimes wonder how my down quilts would work on the AT during the early spring. Could get nasty if they got wet.
    Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

If i remember correctly, synthetics have a greater warmth to loft ratio, but are heavier and bulkier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost View Post
    I'm getting ready to make an underquilt using the Potomac directions. Question about insulation. Looking at OWF site, they have Climashield XP in two different sizes. 2.5 oz with a 5/8 to 1" loft, 5.0oz with 1-1/8 - 2" loft. Now sure what I need. Any suggestions from you seasoned professionals?
    What is your desired low temp comfort range? How much bulk are you willing to carry?

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Basically car camping, so bulk isn't a real issue. Would like this for a 3-season underquilt, enjoy Spring and Fall, but be able to add something like Insulbrite if temps really low. Wasn't really thinking about Winter camping, but now have a trip planned in 2 weeks, as well as the Springer Mtn trip. Don't know what I'm thinking!

Images
    you need 7.5 oz/yd for a 3 season. that is 3 layers of the 2.5 or one 5.0 and 1 2.5. either way, it's the same.

i am getting down into the teens with 10 oz/yd (4 layers of 2.5), not the potomac design, but probably similar.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Thanks - that's what we were thinking, but wanted to get some input. My son (Cerberus) bought his from Patrick. Sure do wish he was still making them! But now mine will be DIY and his won't!

Appreciate the input.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost View Post
    Thanks - that's what we were thinking, but wanted to get some input. My son (Cerberus) bought his from Patrick. Sure do wish he was still making them! But now mine will be DIY and his won't!

Appreciate the input.
    I think blackbishop351 is now producing the Pontomac under quilt. You may contact him if you want one made, but if it were me I would try a DIY version.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts