ENO Dbl nest
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies

Overfill?

Hey I'm new to the UQ world. Ive been looking at a 3 season crowsnest with 900 down. What kind of warmth would I gain by adding additional ounces of overfill or would it really be worth it since it might compress the down to much?

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I went with the Winter Incubator with +2 oz of down. It gives the quilt a more firm feel and I don't have to fiddle with it to get the down where I need it.

I'm not sure how much lower it will get me, but I like the way it turned out.

If you can get a hold of HammockGear.com I'd ask them for some guidance.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Overfilling has advantages and disadvantages. Remember, insulation provides dead airspace that can be warmed and mass to maintain the warmth. Insulation must be first warmed by an outside source (your body) to provide warmth.

Each ounce of overfill will provide 1-2 degrees of additional warmth. there must be room for the down to loft up to provide this warmth. The UQ designed and made by Storm Crow are more than capable of accepting the extra 6oz of overfill, as there is plenty of room for the loft to occur.

The disadvantages of overfilling are: weight, cost, and increased bulk of the compressed package.

You will definitely notice the warmth. Personally, if you are a "cold sleeper" and have the extra cash to spend, the extra overfill is definitely worth the price.

These guys make an astoundingly good product, and in my opinion, are a huge value for what they are are charging. Definitely worth the wait and cost for their product!

Hope this helps,
    Jose Diaz

Hammock
    ENO Dbl nest
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks guys for the input, I dont have to much to spend on overfill but Im guessing adding an extra 2 ounces would get me maybe around the 18-16F range since its the crowsnest 3s is advertised at 20F.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    I just bought a Winter Incubator, but I was originally intending to buy the 3-Season with 900+ FP upgrade. I was even considering an oz. or two of overstuff. However, the price for the Winter Incubator is less than the 3-Season with the 900+ FP upgrade, and it's good to roughly 15*F cooler temp.

Just fyi, you may want to just get the winter Crowsnest. I'm pretty sure you can just vent it in warm weather and be fine, but in cold weather, it will be warmer than the 3-Season even with the upgrades. There are people with far more experience than I in this forum. Is my logic correct?

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    Just chiming in....

Wakozacho - You are correct... Not only would it make more sense, overfilling an UQ around or past a 3 oz overstuff option is actually reversing the benefits a little, since the down would be compressed and lose some if its insulating qualities. You need the loft for a reason.

When you specify a winter (4 season) UQ, we make the baffle height to accommodate that amount of down. Therefore, a 3 season baffle height crammed with an almost 4 season's worth of down starts to lose its rating.

Hope that helps!

Thorwren

Hammock
    ENO Dbl nest
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks everybody probably gonna go with a winter crowsnest and be nice and warm all year long. Just wondering I know the winter with 900 fill is advertised to handle 0F weather, what whould a 800 fill get me down to temperature wise?
    Last edited by allenmd07; 11-22-2010 at 18:42.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Well...what say you Thorwren (Mrs. Stormcrow)?

What do you believe would be the resulting temperature rating for a quilt built as projected (with 800 fill)?

I mean...you are one of those Ohio based Ginger-types, that lives in StormCrowland and actually sews and fills those quilt thingees.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

• + New Posts