WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Cross Timbers Trail - Is it really November?

Click here for the photos.

Pamela and I drove up to Lake Texoma Saturday morning to do an overnight backpack on the Cross Timbers trail. This was Pamela's first backpacking trip and our first trip out with our "complete" hammock kits.

We started our hike at the Cedar Bayou Marina around noon. There were quite a few cars parked along the road when we arrived, meaning that there were quite a few hikers already back in the area. No problem when you are in hammocks! You don't need a flat spot!

We hiked at a pretty good rate covering a little over 2.5 miles in less than an hour. We got out to the 5 Mile Camp area and began assessing our campsite options. A couple of guys had already staked out the area I had in mind, so we dropped packs, ate lunch, and then I took off bush-whacking. I came across a spot (complete with fire ring) that I never knew was there. It is across the cove and up the hill a bit from 5 Mile Camp. A perfect stealth campsite! (We ended up having two BoyScout groups hike by without ever knowing we were there.)

There was quite a bit of wind so we set up the tarps in a semi-baker style to block the wind on one side, but allow some room under the tarp on the other side. We fiddled with our hammocks, playing with the level and hang angles until we found comfortable setups. I like my BB nung with the foot end about 8" higher than the head end. Pamela likes her BB hung closer to level. Since this was our first time out with most of this gear, we took quite a long time setting up and playing with the new gear.

Once we had our setups set up, we walked down to the lake to gather some water to filter using the DIY gravity set up I made (Wal-Mart dry bag, FRAM paper fuel filter as pre-filter, Sawyer 0.1 micron in-line filter, and Platy 6L water tank). After seeing just how well this works, I wonder why anyone would pump again.

We gathered a LOAD of firewood and started our little campfire just as the daylight was fading. I cooked us up some Jambalaya with sausage and shrimp, and we made some corn bread cakes on the little one-egg-wonder skillet I bought after reading angrysparrow's cornbread discussion thread - worked really well!

The moon was FULL and the weather was unseasonably warm - probably never got below 55 degrees. We enjoyed the starry night until around 9pm and then put up the gear for the evening. Pamela watched a couple of movies on my iPod and I read the Kindle until I fell asleep. We both woke a few times during the night to really strong wind gusts, but the tarps had no problems handling the wind. I've camped since I was a 11 year old Boy Scout, and I've never really slept well when camping. This was my first night out in a hammock, and I think I'll be sleeping better!

We got up a little before 7am, re-kindled the fire, and made some blueberry cakes in the one-egg-wonder to go with our coffee. We hated to leave, but had to get back home. We broke camp and started hiking out at 8:45am. The hike out took 45 minutes.

I wanted to make sure that Pamela's first backpack was an easy trip, that she had great gear, and that she really had fun. I think I succeeded. She asked when the next trip would be!
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Nice work getting Pamela into a great outdoors setting! The pictures were great, too. Did the dog go with y'all?

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That little dog with panniers wasn't ours. We'd like to take Bear, but we aren't sure what we will do with him at night (no tent to close him up in). I may need to start a different thread to find out how everyone hammocks with their dogs.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Traveller,Speer,BIAS,Hennessy Asym.
    Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images

nice

Nice report and nice pictures too. What are the tarps you guys were using?

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    That's interesting - when I lived in Texas, we had a dog named Bear!

My dog sleeps where he sleeps so I've stopped trying to get him to sleep in a certain place. He'll come by in the morning and nudge me sometimes. I do worry about him when it's damp and cold. If it's just cold, his coat is enough - he's a Golden Doodle and his coat grows to about six inches. He also burrows down in leaves if they are around so I'm sure they help.

I think if I can make him a lightweight "bed" and get him used to it at home, he might use it on the trail. I'm thinking CCF pad covered in ripstop with a mini-quilt attached that he could scootch into or under.

Thanks again for the trip report.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Shane
    ya gone done and did good . . .

So Glad your lady had a good time . . .
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat View Post
    Nice report and nice pictures too. What are the tarps you guys were using?
    Mine is a WB Big Mamajamba Spinn with doors. Her's is an OES Deluxe in Spinn. Both have panel pull outs. I don't think I'd buy a tarp that didn't have the pull outs again.

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    That's interesting - when I lived in Texas, we had a dog named Bear!

My dog sleeps where he sleeps so I've stopped trying to get him to sleep in a certain place.
    He sleeps where he pleases, but usually in our bed. We think he's a Rot/Retriever mix. WE are HIS pets. I'm just afraid he'll run off chasing critters at night if we can't tie him up somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Shane
    ya gone done and did good . . .

So Glad your lady had a good time . . .
    Thanks Bradley. I've been wanting to get her out on the trail for years. Even though it was just a short trip we really had a good time.

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Great report! Love the pictures and glad to hear it was a good time.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Glad things all went well. Nice pics.
    55*,,,Mmmmm i think we've seen the last off that here till Mmmm April. I miss it.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Great report and pictures.
    Terry

• + New Posts