WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

The KAQ New River with Deep Winter Quilt upgrade

I promised Paul and others I would do a report on the just released New River with the 11.5 insultex upgrade. I got it Friday but waited until this afternoon to set it up as it was raining and overcast Saturday...my photo skills are not great but even I know sunlight is good in pics.

First this thing is BIG in the supplied stuff sack (pics to follow) but then that was not a surprise. A compression sack is how I will shrink this. I set up the Byer Vario stand and hung the WBBB . The NR DWQ had two loops and biners that clip on the suspension (webbing in my case) at each end of the hammock. It then is snugged with a cord lock and the top channels are snugged with two (each end) cord locks. Fairly straight forward and simple.

Then my son Mathew (25 years old, where does the time go?) and Ms Behavin' (our JRT) became my test dummys for adjusting the ends etc. Again relatively simple. Once I was able to convince Matt and Ms Bea to exit I gave it a spin and boy is this UQ warm! It was around 54 degrees and the UQ literally felt like an electric blanket under me. This is going to be golden when the thermometer dips into the teens.

So then pics...
    #1 WBBB in stock stuff sack compared to the KAQ DWQ (harmonica for size context)
    #3 pre adjustment
    #4 Test dummies
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 11-21-2010 at 22:15.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Wow, the fit looks great!
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Mrs Law Dawg expressed no interrest in getting into the hammock so I could adjust it and so Matt and Ms Bea were used. Shortly after I got done putting on the Kelty tarp Mrs LD had a change of heart. Got her all arranged (moved higher and more asym) and then she said it would be better if she could see the sky. So I folded the tarp over the top line and unclipped the WBBB zipper side tie out to lay it over too. Then my bride did something most unexpected...she began calling out the critters in cloud shapes and calling attention to jets flying through the clouds. Seemed to bring out the dreamer in her. She did say that the UQ felt like the heated seats in our Subaru and declared that if she did not have things to accomplish she would lay there all afternoon for a nap.

This is all good news as I hope to get her to come along with me and the KAQ NR DWQ is really for her so she is always good and warm. The overall consensus here is this UQ is a winner for the way we will use it. Good quality and service from Arrowhead Equipment and I will have no reservations about recommending others to bring Paul some business. The down side? Heck I don't know other than the stuffed size but I'll deal with it to bring warm comfort. Think I'll set up the sleeping bag and pillow now.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    Wow, the fit looks great!
    Feels great too! I am a big man (built wide in the chest an shoulders) and this UQ just fit perfect. Stays with when I changed positions. I'll give more after a night out in it (perhaps tonight).
    Attached Images Attached Images

That quilt stuffed is larger then any piece of gear I own(excluding packs)! I hope that thing is rated well below 0.

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    That quilt stuffed is larger then any piece of gear I own(excluding packs)! I hope that thing is rated well below 0.
    It's a full length synthetic quilt. It isn't going to have the compressibility of down.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I don't plan to test to anywhere near its potential. Paul guestimates it for around zero...I'm through freezing and will just take his word for it. Also your gear is probably put into a backpack, am I correct? Mine is for motorcycle or cage camping. I like to sleep in semi-birthday suit mode and so mondo insulation. I do expect it will compress about 1/3 to 1/2 the size shown with a compression sack.

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    I don't plan to test to anywhere near its potential. Paul guestimates it for around zero...I'm through freezing and will just take his word for it. Also your gear is probably put into a backpack, am I correct? Mine is for motorcycle or cage camping. I like to sleep in semi-birthday suit mode and so mondo insulation. I do expect it will compress about 1/3 to 1/2 the size shown with a compression sack.

Great point, I use mine for backpacking, canoeing, etc...

Keep in mind that if you compress insulation, it will start to lose it's "R" value.

Images
    If it is 4" of CS, that is going to be around zero. But is IX also involved? Anybody got the specs?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Keep in mind that if you compress insulation, it will start to lose it's "R" value.
    Ahh the choices we face at times. Actually I am considering adding two Kreiga US 10 waterproof packs to my crash bars just for camp bedding gear. They should hold the WBBB, KAQ, tarp (might just end up with a backpacker to replace the Kelty), and future TQ (drawn to the WB big one for now). Compression on stuff can be reduced that way and I still will have the tank bag, two side cases, and a dry bag (just behind me) left to carry other stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast