Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images

Hammock Sock

So am I understanding this corrected that a "hammock sock" is kinda like a sleeve to slip over the hammock so you are in a sort of cacoon? Are these used with top loader hammocks or could you work one up for a hennasey?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You can find info on hammock socks/travel pods here, here, and here. There are also several thread here on the forums that talks about them. Just do a search.

A sock/TP would work with a HH but it would be a real hassle dealing with getting in and out through the bottom slit unless you put a zipper on the bottom of the sock/TP. If you use an under quilt that makes things even more difficult. You would be better off using a top cover on a HH.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    How would you deal with the tie-outs; just don't use them or what? I was thinking of making some slits for the attachments to pass thru, but then you wouldn't be able to just deploy when needed. You'd have to get out of the hammock to do it and we already know it's cold out there or you wouldn't be carrying a sock.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    How would you deal with the tie-outs; just don't use them or what? I was thinking of making some slits for the attachments to pass thru, but then you wouldn't be able to just deploy when needed. You'd have to get out of the hammock to do it and we already know it's cold out there or you wouldn't be carrying a sock.
    That's another good point. You can use a hammock sock with side outs on the hammock but it doesn't work very well. You have to undo the side tie out to slide the sock back enough to get in the hammock and then reattach the side tie out once you are in the hammock. It's a real hassle.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You could put side tie outs on the outside of your sock, and then put some tie-out loops on the inside of the sock to tie your hennessy tie-outs to... Complicated and a hassle, but a funny (funny as in strange) idea...

Still don't know how you would adjust the sock or get in and out, but still...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    You could put side tie outs on the outside of your sock, and then put some tie-out loops on the inside of the sock to tie your hennessy tie-outs to... Complicated and a hassle, but a funny (funny as in strange) idea...

Still don't know how you would adjust the sock or get in and out, but still...
    I also tried that method. The line that runs from the sock to the hammock still restricts how far you can pull the sock back when getting in and out and gets in the way, but keep in mind I am talking about a top loading hammock. If you did made a sock for a HH and you did put a zipper on the bottom for entering and exiting the hammock, you would not have to fool with attaching and unattaching the side tie outs.

www.meancatcoffee.com

seems like more useless gear you don't need to carry IMO...carry-on with your conversation

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've been giving a lot of thought to making one for the Warbonnet, but every time I think I have it figured-out, I run into another problem. I can lose the tie-out at the foot and not really sacrifice much in the way of comfort, but the shoulder tie-out really helps create the shape.

My current line of thinking is a 'hennessy-eske' slit that would line-up with the entry zipper on the WB. Could be velcro or omni tape used to seal around the shock cord post-entry. BUT, in order to be able to deploy from the hammock the slit would need to run from the top of the head-end to about halfway down the sock. Did I mention I HATE velcro?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I've been giving a lot of thought to making one for the Warbonnet, but every time I think I have it figured-out, I run into another problem. I can lose the tie-out at the foot and not really sacrifice much in the way of comfort, but the shoulder tie-out really helps create the shape.

My current line of thinking is a 'hennessy-eske' slit that would line-up with the entry zipper on the WB. Could be velcro or omni tape used to seal around the shock cord post-entry. BUT, in order to be able to deploy from the hammock the slit would need to run from the top of the head-end to about halfway down the sock. Did I mention I HATE velcro?
    Have you tried or seen the one-sided Omnitape that JRB uses? Assuming that this is like the Freemagic velcro, it is really easy to sew on, and doesn't very much snag netting. I like it a lot, but use it in places where that I'm not opening and closing it for normal things like hammock entry and exit.

How about something like this...

Imagine a top piece and a bottom piece, adjoined at the sides. The two tie-outs will "pass" through the seams. On the foot side tie-out make a passage through the seam, and on that side otherwise have it sewn along the whole length.

On the entry side use one-sided velcro to let the tie-out out, and seal it up.
    Then put in a 30" zipper with tabs on both sides, more or less aligned with the Warbonnet's zipper, then sew up the rest of that side.

When hanging the bag you slide the sock over first, then thread the foot tie-out through the passage made for it. Likewise put the head tie-out through the velcro slot, and seal it up. Zipper lets you in and out.

Grizz

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Have you tried or seen the one-sided Omnitape that JRB uses? Assuming that this is like the Freemagic velcro, it is really easy to sew on, and doesn't very much snag netting. I like it a lot, but use it in places where that I'm not opening and closing it for normal things like hammock entry and exit.

How about something like this...

Imagine a top piece and a bottom piece, adjoined at the sides. The two tie-outs will "pass" through the seams. On the foot side tie-out make a passage through the seam, and on that side otherwise have it sewn along the whole length.

On the entry side use one-sided velcro to let the tie-out out, and seal it up.
    Then put in a 30" zipper with tabs on both sides, more or less aligned with the Warbonnet's zipper, then sew up the rest of that side.

When hanging the bag you slide the sock over first, then thread the foot tie-out through the passage made for it. Likewise put the head tie-out through the velcro slot, and seal it up. Zipper lets you in and out.

Grizz
    You may be able to even couple the zipper pull of the WB and the zipper pull for the sock together so that when you unzipped the Warbonnet it would also unzip the sock. Wouldn't that be neat?

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast