Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammock Sock

could have sworn i posted in here. oh well. I was just going to say that the HH super shelter and overcover together basicly act like a sock, and you could make a sock as long as you had an entry slit and holes for the side tie-outs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No, I haven't seen the one-sided stuff yet. That might be worth a try, but I'll still have 'sock-envy' for those that can just reach down and slide the sock over them from the hammock.

Buuuuuuut, for an extra 10 degrees of warm I might be willing to come to terms with my jealous ways.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Have you tried or seen the one-sided Omnitape that JRB uses? Assuming that this is like the Freemagic velcro, it is really easy to sew on, and doesn't very much snag netting. I like it a lot, but use it in places where that I'm not opening and closing it for normal things like hammock entry and exit.

How about something like this...

Imagine a top piece and a bottom piece, adjoined at the sides. The two tie-outs will "pass" through the seams. On the foot side tie-out make a passage through the seam, and on that side otherwise have it sewn along the whole length.

On the entry side use one-sided velcro to let the tie-out out, and seal it up.
    Then put in a 30" zipper with tabs on both sides, more or less aligned with the Warbonnet's zipper, then sew up the rest of that side.

When hanging the bag you slide the sock over first, then thread the foot tie-out through the passage made for it. Likewise put the head tie-out through the velcro slot, and seal it up. Zipper lets you in and out.

Grizz
    You may be able to even couple the zipper pull of the WB and the zipper pull for the sock together so that when you unzipped the Warbonnet it would also unzip the sock. Wouldn't that be neat?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A HH undercover doesn't act like a sock b/c there's no dead air space between the insulation and undercover.

Seems the easiest way to put a sock on a HH is to add a bottom entry on the sock, too. I'd be concerned about not being able to see out easily, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    How critical is it for the sock material to be sil or DWR?

I have some untreated 1.1 ripstop, not sil. Would this provide just enough of a barrier to help with dew, wind blown rain, wind, and hold some dead air for warmth?

It would not have to be completely waterproof because you would have a tarp for all except the clearest weather forecast.

My primary objective would be to add a margin of safety for the underquilt, and secondary, dew and wind for the tarpless nights.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Photos of Hammock Sock by Mule

This sock is just a 10 x 5 piece of sil that has gathering tubes and cords, full length velcro closure by sewing them onto the long edges, and also hangs from a bungie on each end just like a JRB quilt.
    See Photos attached. Mule
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You don't want the sock made out of sil...at least not the whole thing. Maybe some on the ends. I use DWR, but untreated is fine, too. Gotta be breathable or it's like putting a garbage bag over your head overnight...not good.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    FWIW, I've been extremely happy with my sock being all DWR. I've been out in some pretty strong winds recently, and the DWR breathes, but not as much as untreated would. In some instances, less breathable can be good.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    You don't want the sock made out of sil...at least not the whole thing. Maybe some on the ends. I use DWR, but untreated is fine, too. Gotta be breathable or it's like putting a garbage bag over your head overnight...not good.
    I slept out in it at Neo's campout and there was no condensation but I did not zip it up. I would not close it in any weather, so I guess it does ok. The DWR would have been better. I really don't know how to tell the difference between DWR and Silnylon. Do you know? I know that water doesn't come through it when I sink a piece of paper towel in a dish of water. It never leaks. Do you thing this 1.1 oz would make a good tarp or is it too light? I just bought 15 yards of 1.1 at Walmart for $1 per. Mule

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Also, when I got back I sewed the velcro on both long sides so I could attach it to my Claytor to keep it way out of my way. At the campout, it came up about a 6 or 8 inches higher than the snugfit and I like to see out. Mule

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast