Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Ok, I decided to give the BBO a try. Paul had one gray "lefty" BBO, so since I have a "lefty" WBBB (zipper on the right) I ordered it and it's on it's way to me. I'm hoping the gray color will be light enough to overcome any claustrophobic issues. We shall see. If it's not my cup of tea, I'm sure I can find it a good home.
    I have a MacCat deluxe tarp, and I have a 12x15 OES cat cut tarp on order. I thought that I could use the larger tarp in cold weather & close off the ends, but this tarp's primary use will be as our river kitchen tarp. I didn't want to count on using it for extra warmth on early spring or fall trips..... hence the BBO.
    KJ

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    You can see a bit of it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwuKSl7esTo
    We tried to film it in use, but technical difficulties caused 1/2 of that part to "Go away"
    Excellent video Doctari! I thought it showed your setup very well. The more I think about it, I'm more convinced that this is preferable to a tarp-hut, at least for me.

I know some folks tout cooking in their tarp, but where I hike, that would be suicide.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Ditto! Love the video, Doctari! Nicely done and quite informative.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    So what do folks think about making an opening in the BBO above the face area? Doctari mentioned it in his earlier post. A way to alleviate condensation, let in some fresh air, see out a little bit, all without having to loosen the BBO or unzip the WBBB. Crazy or inspired???
    KJ

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    So what do folks think about making an opening in the BBO above the face area? Doctari mentioned it in his earlier post. A way to alleviate condensation, let in some fresh air, see out a little bit, all without having to loosen the BBO or unzip the WBBB. Crazy or inspired???
    KJ
    That could reduce condensation and afford a bit of a view by letting fresh air in. Just remember that the reason that you have a BBO is to hold heat in by keeping the air in place. The less condensation and the more view, the less heat retained. It's a bit of a catch 22.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Yep, it's a catch 22. I don't do any true winter camping, late spring to fall. I was thinking of the BBO for a little extra wind & temp protection either with or without a tarp. I'm still a bit worried about my claustrophobia and I don't want a damp down Burrow. Just a thought. Paul did mention that you can always pop off the BBO suspension at the head end and allow it to come down a bit.
    Thanks for the input. Always good to bounce ideas off others.
    KJ

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Yep, it's a catch 22. I don't do any true winter camping, late spring to fall. I was thinking of the BBO for a little extra wind & temp protection either with or without a tarp. I'm still a bit worried about my claustrophobia and I don't want a damp down Burrow. Just a thought. Paul did mention that you can always pop off the BBO suspension at the head end and allow it to come down a bit.
    Thanks for the input. Always good to bounce ideas off others.
    KJ
    You've probably already noticed that when your bugnet is deployed, it will add about 5° of warmth. It doesn't block wind from outside, but it does reduce it. It does not hold air inside the bugnet, but it does reduce the outward flow as well. The BBO is just like that but on steroids.

I've found weathershields to be useful in cooler temps, but they tend to shine the most once the temps get well below freezing. I get condensation, but it freezes. If you're "careful" when exiting your hammock, you can avoid the snow shower. That frost on the weathershield usually means that I don't have frost on my quilt. You're basically just moving the condensation point off of your body and onto the weathershield.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    When I went to make an IX Hammock Sock for the WBBB, a friend loaned me a Blackbird with a BBO. The BBO is such a good fit, I decided not to make a top for the WBBB Sock. It would be unnecessary, and disrespectful, to simply clone the BBO and attach it to a sock bottom. That's how the MMG IX Hammock Sock without SEEP was born. It's made to work with Paul's BBO. Doctari has the first.

To use a BBO, sock or overcover in winter, you have to figure out how to ventilate.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    KJ
    The HH version for their hammocks has a hole over the face and it works just fine. I prefer not having the hole and just venting it as needed but if you are doing it because of phobia then by all means open it up. It should still help out a little bit.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    OK, so far I have had 2 - 3 nights below 30 with the BBO, & one night to about 25. No condensation so far, & venting for me so far isn't a problem, I get up to answer nature about 3 times a night, & opening the BBO then seems to be enough. So I withdraw any concerns I had about ventilation, it is just not an issue, at least for me.
    I think I would avoid putting a hole in the BBO over the face, at least unless I could close it again (Omnitape or Velcro?). Mine seems to breath well enough. I think my concern was based on my Hammock sock, which wasn't as breathable fabric. Now I'm not worried. After MtRogers, we'll see.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast